2019 Defensive line Class

That's not depth. That's called just having bodies. Depth is guys who can actually play and contribute.
At this point it doesn’t hurt to have a guy like Fines on the roster. We’re below 85 anyway. Bodies are good for practice purposes and catastrophic game circumstances. Once you have a better replacement, you gently nudge them out the door.

Advertisement
No 6 DEs is not Ideal in any way, IDK what you're smoking. Maybe if you run a 34 scheme, but not even then.

Also how do you give a range of 5 as the "ideal". smh. Uh no there is one number that is actually ideal. Not anywhere from 6-10, thats just ridiculous dude. We want 8 DTs and 9 DEs on the Roster. If we have 7Dts and 8DEs thats okay, but not IDEAL. Ideal is that magic number where it you have great depth, but aren't overloaded and hurting other positions.

IDEAL
QB - 5
RB - 6
WR - 12
TE - 5
OT - 6
iOL - 8
DE - 9
DT - 8
LB - 9
CB - 9
S - 6
K/P - 2

I'm going by the article by Ian Boyd.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...football-offenses-defenses-recruiting-players

Of course a RANGE is more appropriate in describing ideals, because no two situations are identical. If you use 9 scholarships on DE's, that's fewer scholarships you can use elsewhere. Sometimes you need to do that, if your talent is not top notch. If you have elite DE's, though, then 6 means you're three-deep in a 4-3 system. In that case, you might be better served spending the scholarships on OL or somewhere else where you aren't so deep and talented.

If you don't believe the article I linked, then what we can do is go through the top 10 teams for the past few years, and see how they allocate their scholarships. You'll notice that there is some variation, but that it falls roughly within the range given:

Offense: 41 total
Defense: 41 total
Specials: 3 total (K, P, long snapper)

2018-02-15_14-52-41.jpg

Offense....

b2018-02-15_14-54-28.jpg

I'm going by the article by Ian Boyd.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...football-offenses-defenses-recruiting-players

Of course a RANGE is more appropriate in describing ideals, because no two situations are identical. If you use 9 scholarships on DE's, that's fewer scholarships you can use elsewhere. Sometimes you need to do that, if your talent is not top notch. If you have elite DE's, though, then 6 means you're three-deep in a 4-3 system. In that case, you might be better served spending the scholarships on OL or somewhere else where you aren't so deep and talented.

If you don't believe the article I linked, then what we can do is go through the top 10 teams for the past few years, and see how they allocate their scholarships. You'll notice that there is some variation, but that it falls roughly within the range given:

Offense: 41 total
Defense: 41 total
Specials: 3 total (K, P, long snapper)

View attachment 58366

Offense....

View attachment 58367
That Range is absolutely ridiculous. How can something be IDEAL if it has a range of 5 for DE? Thats what I'm saying. Maybe that 6-10 is reffering to what is solid/good. But it is not what is ideal. There is no way on earth having four OLBs or just 6 DEs is ideal. Look at our roster right now we only have 5 DEs, would you say we are only 1 DE away from being at the ideal number? This really is that simple.

furthermore if you add the low end of his range up you total of 60. If you add the high end of the range you get a total of 99 (Not including K/p/ls). So How is a range of 60-99 players Ideal? Like I've been saying, thats a complete joke. the IDEAL is what is the breakdown we want to have to be at 85. And that is what I'm referring to. **** you wanna subract a qb and te from what I list and add those two to OL to make it 16 or whatever, I'm cool with that. But Im telling you the numbers I list are extremely accurate...for us.

Advertisement
Back