2019-20 Rotation

If we are being honest, Miami has had two good seasons in the 9 years Coach L has been here. 2013 and 2016. It looks like he is doing a great job because of the failures of the coaches before him. Coach L is benefiting from very low to minimal expectations.

Honestly, Miami basketball should be winning 20 games every year but no one is willing to raise their expectations of the program to that level. They hide behind the notion that Miami is a football school, when the football team has not been elite since 2001.

It is not due to facilities or resources, the problem is the head coach. Coach L is a good mid major coach. Nice guy but this is where he is in his career.

Just being honest.

Advertisement
Rotation?

If we look at the roster from a health perspective, Miami has 8 healthy players just like last season. Scary but true. Nysier Brooks is sitting out due to the fact that no one applied for a waiver, not the "sit-out transfer rules" story being told by Coach L. Coach L has all of his frontcourt eggs in the Rodney Miller basket. The only healthy "big" on the roster. Has anyone thought what Miami is going to do if Rodney gets hurt and cannot play this season.

Deng Gak and Keith Stone are returning from ACL injuries and there is no return date set for either of them. When healthy and when is the key word, Keith will contribute and help the team but he may not return until January and he may not be healthy and in shape until February or March. Gak could play the season opener but no one has said so I am under the impression that he has not been cleared.

Miami has two open scholarships and I am sure Coach L will give one to Willie Herenton, a 5'11 shooting guard who cannot dribble.

This is the real roster:

Point Guard: Chris Lykes and Isaiah Wong
Shooting Guard: DJ Vasiljevic and Harlond Beverly
Small Forward: Kam McGusty and Anthony Walker
Stretch Forward: Sam Wardeenburg
Center: Rodney Miller

That's it. Until Gak and Stone are cleared for action. This is our team. Coach L still needs bodies and he is playing short handed again, for the sixth year in a row.

Rotation?

If we look at the roster from a health perspective, Miami has 8 healthy players just like last season. Scary but true. Nysier Brooks is sitting out due to the fact that no one applied for a waiver, not the "sit-out transfer rules" story being told by Coach L. Coach L has all of his frontcourt eggs in the Rodney Miller basket. The only healthy "big" on the roster. Has anyone thought what Miami is going to do if Rodney gets hurt and cannot play this season.

Deng Gak and Keith Stone are returning from ACL injuries and there is no return date set for either of them. When healthy and when is the key word, Keith will contribute and help the team but he may not return until January and he may not be healthy and in shape until February or March. Gak could play the season opener but no one has said so I am under the impression that he has not been cleared.

Miami has two open scholarships and I am sure Coach L will give one to Willie Herenton, a 5'11 shooting guard who cannot dribble.

This is the real roster:

That's it. Until Gak and Stone are cleared for action. This is our team. Coach L still needs bodies and he is playing short handed again, for the sixth year in a row.
Can Gak and Stone take more shirts? Or are they maxed out? I know that doesn't help us at all, but January is late in the season to waste a year of eligibility.

Can Gak and Stone take more shirts? Or are they maxed out? I know that doesn't help us at all, but January is late in the season to waste a year of eligibility.

Maxed. The biggest issue was the failure to fill the two available scholarships. Everyone knew Gak and Stone tore their ACLs last season and they would not be ready to start this season. Those are not new injuries. Again, Brooks sitting out is hurting the program. That is why I said when last season ended, only take grad transfers. Grad transfers are immediately eligible to play this season.

Rotation?

This is the real roster:

I already knew how thin we were, but just seeing it on paper makes my blood boil. Absolute negligence from L and his staff yet again. I just don't understand it.

That frontcourt is an absolute joke. I'm sure he will use the lack of depth excuses again. Guess what? IT WAS IN YOUR CONTROL! So I don't want to hear it.

The only way I see us beating Louisville is if we are on absolute fire from 3. They are going to man handle us inside, as will a lot of teams with that "rotation".

Advertisement
I already knew how thin we were, but just seeing it on paper makes my blood boil. Absolute negligence from L and his staff yet again. I just don't understand it.

That frontcourt is an absolute joke. I'm sure he will use the lack of depth excuses again. Guess what? IT WAS IN YOUR CONTROL! So I don't want to hear it.

The only way I see us beating Louisville is if we are on absolute fire from 3. They are going to man handle us inside, as will a lot of teams with that "rotation".

It's a throw away season. Sad to say, but there's no reason to even pay attention.

If we are being honest, Miami has had two good seasons in the 9 years Coach L has been here. 2013 and 2016. It looks like he is doing a great job because of the failures of the coaches before him. Coach L is benefiting from very low to minimal expectations.

Honestly, Miami basketball should be winning 20 games every year but no one is willing to raise their expectations of the program to that level. They hide behind the notion that Miami is a football school, when the football team has not been elite since 2001.

It is not due to facilities or resources, the problem is the head coach. Coach L is a good mid major coach. Nice guy but this is where he is in his career.

Just being honest.
[/QUOTE

.Maybe we can get Billy Donovan? That was the dumbest thread I have ever read on this board. BTW we have won 20 games every year but 2 and those 2 years no coach in America could have won 20 games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's a throw away season. Sad to say, but there's no reason to even pay attention.

You make a good point and that is why fans don't attend games. The coaches and athletic department have not given general fans a reason to support the team. Unacceptable for a team in a Power 5 conference in a city like Miami. Unacceptable.

Advertisement
It is what it is. Do you think Pitino, even with this administration, could win big here? Might be fun to find out.

I do think the right coach could win at Miami. I would not go the Pitino route but a Billy Donovan definitely could. A coach who would recruit all kids, in-state, out of state, jucos and transfers, international players using all 13 scholarships.

Remember, no one thought Miami could win in football until Howard Schnellenberger arrived. It just takes the right guy with the right drive and approach.

Difference between Pitino and Donovan is that Rick might likely be a lot more receptive to an offer.

If ur worried about his/our "reputation" all I can say is that those inclined to think badly of UM already do. If u read other message boards, Lonnie W "went from a Villanova 'lean' to MIami overnight and it wasn't because he wanted to play fr L over Wright" (implication being we bought him). And, "haters" still think the FBI was investigating us because of recruiting improprieties. On the other hand, a lot of folks now think Rick got a bad deal at the Ville. I mean, was the LSU coach or Sean Miller fired?

Advertisement
Difference between Pitino and Donovan is that Rick might likely be a lot more receptive to an offer.

If ur worried about his/our "reputation" all I can say is that those inclined to think badly of UM already do. If u read other message boards, Lonnie W "went from a Villanova 'lean' to MIami overnight and it wasn't because he wanted to play fr L over Wright" (implication being we bought him). And, "haters" still think the FBI was investigating us because of recruiting improprieties. On the other hand, a lot of folks now think Rick got a bad deal at the Ville. I mean, was the LSU coach or Sean Miller fired?

Hiring Rick Pitino would raise eyebrows for many different reasons. I am not saying I would or would not do it. You are correct, he has a proven track record of winning at every college stop. He would definitely fit the criteria of the "right guy for the job" but there will always be a cloud of mystery over his head.

Hiring Rick Pitino would raise eyebrows for many different reasons. I am not saying I would or would not do it. You are correct, he has a proven track record of winning at every college stop. He would definitely fit the criteria of the "right guy for the job" but there will always be a cloud of mystery over his head.
I'm not advocating we hire Rick either. But ... over a 45 year sample, we can definitely say with confidence that recruiting top HS players to the U is a very hard task. Rick, if nothing else, is a proven recruiter.

I'm not advocating we hire Rick either. But ... over a 45 year sample, we can definitely say with confidence that recruiting top HS players to the U is a very hard task. Rick, if nothing else, is a proven recruiter.

Absolutely true but that just proves Miami has more often than not hired the wrong guy. They really need someone who can sell the city, culture and Miami lifestyle why at Miami getting an education and playing basketball. Probably a young, energetic guy who is willing to grind the long hours it takes to recruit along with building relationships with multiple high schools and travel team programs.

That is all Billy Donovan was when he first started.

Some programs "sell themselves." Bill Self is not a dynamic recruiter in my opinion but, he doesn't need to be. The tradition and consistent Big XII championships sell KU hoops. I'm not sure at all that Self would succeed big-time here at Miami.

Leonard Hamilton was hired here with the hope he would finally be the recruiter we needed (he had been highly successful as Joe B Hall's "closer" with UK's McDonalds AA recruits). He couldn't get it done here (actually, one year he did with a co-Big East title but he did that with his defense, not recruits). UM was obviously not Kentucky so, he moved on.

The last three UM coaching hire opportunities, I've said hiring a super-human recruiter should be the paramount job qualification (actually, if there were 10 bases you'd want to cover with your new coaching hire, recruiting would be the top five on such a list). I still feel that way.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back