2018 - Top Targets So Far (Defense)/ Potential Offers

nvlahos

Junior
Premium
DE: B- - Love Rousseau, but this class puts us in a bad position depth wise. Should've picked up at least 1 more DE

Gregory Rousseau

Misses - Andrew Chatfield (UF)

DT: B- - Nesta is a beast and Miller is very underrated. Losing both Briggs and Chatman to FSU hurts and can't happen (Kool seemed to get lazy recruiting them, or the staff stupidly thought RJ and Norton were coming back). Didn't list Coburn, Ojomo, or Carson as misses cause it seems we came in late to the game with them

Nesta Silvera
Jordan Miller

Misses - Jamarcus Chatman (FSU), Dennis Briggs (FSU)

LB: B - Staff wanted 1 LB and got the target they wanted. IMO they should've take 1 more for depth. Gotta load up in 2019.

Patrick Joyner

Misses - None really, but IMO - Rosendo Louis (USCe)

CB: B- - WAY TOO MANY MISSES cough cough Rumph. Staff under prioritized Asante, and choked on Campbell/Surtain

Al Blades
DJ Ivey
Nigel Bethel

Misses - Tyson Campbell (UGA), Pat Surtain Jr. (ALA), Asante Samuel Jr. (FSU)

S: A

Gurvan Hall
Gilbert Frierson

Misses - Josh Jobe (ALA)

Staff Grade - B-

Safety recruiting has been great but the front 7 and CB recruiting has been average so far. NEEDS to improve ASAP or we will continue to have holes on defense

Last edited:
Advertisement
CB gimme the two we currently have along with blades and Campbell and im happy. Saftey must get hall and although it may be a long shot gotta stay on tyreke johnson

Advertisement
Advertisement
Gotta be somewhere between 25-30

If the roster remained intact and nobody left for the NFL early we'd only have 14 spots. Attrition is expected but we'd need to lose 11 guys to get to 25. 30 is definitely not happening.

I think we close on about 70% of our top targets on defense but we definitely need to get our top two targets at DT. CB and S should be an easy get with all the talent floating around SF this cycle. We also need to get starting/impact caliber LBs this cycle to have them waiting to take over. Even though I think steed will be great here because of his instincts.

Nice mental exercise. Between this thread and the Offensive thread you have from 27 (low) to 32 (high) signings. Not going to happen. 5 receivers is also not going to happen.

Gotta be somewhere between 25-30

If the roster remained intact and nobody left for the NFL early we'd only have 14 spots. Attrition is expected but we'd need to lose 11 guys to get to 25. 30 is definitely not happening.

It will be 25+. We will see 3-5 more underclassmen leave before Fall, and the same number after next season. It will happen naturally after depth charts start to form up. Just at QB we should expect 2-3 transfers between now and Fall 2018. We will also have 2-3 players go early to the NFL. ... Which means we start with 22-27 spots before managing kids out. Plenty of space for this class. Maybe not 30, but definitely 25+.

Advertisement
Nice mental exercise. Between this thread and the Offensive thread you have from 27 (low) to 32 (high) signings. Not going to happen. 5 receivers is also not going to happen.

Plan for the 32 best, knowing you'll end up at 27. It's virtually inevitable (e.g., this year with McKitty, Smith, Slaton, Henderson and Edwards). I agree the most likely position coaches won't end up on the high end is WR, probably only 3 there. I think 3 RBs, 3 DEs, 3 LBs and any more than 6 DBs is also unrealistic. So there is a lot of wiggle room in the numbers posted right now.

We have 4 open schollies now and 10 seniors. That's 14 open for 2018 class. There is plenty of deadweight to lose. We 're gonna lose QBs after the competition shakes out. We're gonna lose a WR or two. We're gonna lose the last vestiges of Golden's OL reaches. McCray is gone. Henley and Mayes are gone. We will lose a safety or two as well. Also, we will lose several JRs to the NFL and some will get kicked out unfortunately.

25-26 is what we'll have avaliable.

I don't think we take 3 DEs. We could take only 1. Will probably end with 2.

Advertisement
Here was my breakdown:
I think we will sign another full class of 25-26 kids in 2018.

Richt mentioned that we should have 41 on offense, 41 on defense and 2-3 for specials.

We currently have 81 players on Scholarship for 2017.
-39 on Offense and 40 on Defense and 2 Special teams.

So we start with 4 scholarships.

Seniors (10):
O: 6 (Berios, Herndon, McDermott, Darling, Linder, Odogwu)
D: 3 (Moten, Thomas, Harris)
S: 1 (Badgley)

This will give us 10 more scholarships for 2018.
10+4=14

Redshirt Seniors: (Asked to move on if they can't contribute or may transfer to start somewhere else)
O: 5 (Rosier, Gray, Harris, Langham, Jones)
D: 6 (Willis, Jackson, Owens, Smith, McCray, Mayes)

My guess is we will lose at least 7 of these guys.
14+7=21

Early NFL Entry: (guys who may be good enough to declare if they have a good season)
O: 2 (Walton, Cager)
D: 3 (McIntosh, Norton, Dean)

With our luck we will lose 2 guys...
21+2=23

Attrition: (Guys who get passed up or get messed up)
Some of the guys mentioned above will be a part of the attrition for sure as they may not see a future at the U or get in trouble before they graduate. But we will most likely have another 3-4 underclassmen in addition to the players above who get kicked off the team or leave for various reason.

23+3=26 Total spots available for STORM18:

We need:
1 QB: None (Should pick up at least one solid QB every class)
2 RB: Lingard (Will need 2-3 RBs in the class)
3 WR: Wiggins (should pick up 3-4)
2 TE: None (will need 2 in this class)
4 OL: Scaife (Will need 4-5 to replace the graduating seniors)

3 DT: None (Will need at least 3 depending on who leaves)
2 DE: None (Stacked but should pick up 2 more to replace Thomas & Trent)
2 LB: None (Should pick up at least 2 in every class, can replace based on attrition)
4 CB: Jobe, Ivey, Patterson, Burns (Need to updgrade with more Miami caliber players)
2 S: Frierson (Stack up with such a strong class)

1 K: None (Need to replace Badgley)

Total: 26 (12 Off, 13 Def, 1 ST)

Moved Silvera and Oladele into the offer category, and Finnie into the potential offer category

Here was my breakdown:
I think we will sign another full class of 25-26 kids in 2018.

Richt mentioned that we should have 41 on offense, 41 on defense and 2-3 for specials.

We currently have 81 players on Scholarship for 2017.
-39 on Offense and 40 on Defense and 2 Special teams.

So we start with 4 scholarships.

Seniors (10):
O: 6 (Berios, Herndon, McDermott, Darling, Linder, Odogwu)
D: 3 (Moten, Thomas, Harris)
S: 1 (Badgley)

This will give us 10 more scholarships for 2018.
10+4=14

Redshirt Seniors: (Asked to move on if they can't contribute or may transfer to start somewhere else)
O: 5 (Rosier, Gray, Harris, Langham, Jones)
D: 6 (Willis, Jackson, Owens, Smith, McCray, Mayes)

My guess is we will lose at least 7 of these guys.
14+7=21

Early NFL Entry: (guys who may be good enough to declare if they have a good season)
O: 2 (Walton, Cager)
D: 3 (McIntosh, Norton, Dean)

With our luck we will lose 2 guys...
21+2=23

Attrition: (Guys who get passed up or get messed up)
Some of the guys mentioned above will be a part of the attrition for sure as they may not see a future at the U or get in trouble before they graduate. But we will most likely have another 3-4 underclassmen in addition to the players above who get kicked off the team or leave for various reason.

23+3=26 Total spots available for STORM18:

We need:
1 QB: None (Should pick up at least one solid QB every class)
2 RB: Lingard (Will need 2-3 RBs in the class)
3 WR: Wiggins (should pick up 3-4)
2 TE: None (will need 2 in this class)
4 OL: Scaife (Will need 4-5 to replace the graduating seniors)

3 DT: None (Will need at least 3 depending on who leaves)
2 DE: None (Stacked but should pick up 2 more to replace Thomas & Trent)
2 LB: None (Should pick up at least 2 in every class, can replace based on attrition)
4 CB: Jobe, Ivey, Patterson, Burns (Need to updgrade with more Miami caliber players)
2 S: Frierson (Stack up with such a strong class)

1 K: None (Need to replace Badgley)

Total: 26 (12 Off, 13 Def, 1 ST)

We differ slightly but an accurate estimate nevertheless.

1 QB
2 RB
2 TE
4 WR
5 OL
3 DT
1 DE
2 LB
3 CB
3 S

Advertisement
Back