2018 DE Charlton had huge production last season

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
IMG_0429.JPG

On the way to their 8A state title run, the Southridge Spartans displayed a historically great defense that included a stretch of 8 straight shutouts and allowed a total of 48 points in their 14 games. The unit was led my a fearsome pass rush group consisting of 2017 linemen Dimitry Prophete and DeAndre Johnson, and 2018 prospects Randy Charlton and James Head, Jr.

[HUDL]video/3/4754678/583ce3c7dfd8b82ef0d6ef69[/HUDL]

Charlton said he accumulated 109 tackles, 15 sacks, 1 interception, and 3 pass deflections last season. As Southridge reloads, the 6-4, 225-pound edge rusher knows that this offseason is all about adding to his frame. Charlton could even project as someone who plays multiple spots on defense.

"I'm just focusing on the weight room, getting bigger and better now during the spring," Charlton said. "I'll be back doing drills closer to the season."

"I see myself probably switching between playing linebacker and defensive end. I can be a stand-up linebacker, it's really just about practicing coverage."

In addition to football, Charlton plays basketball and competes in both shot put and discuss. He believes these other sports help him on the football field.

"It translates. Basketball helps me with my explosiveness with all the jumping. St out and discuss helps with my arms and push-and-pull," Charlton said.

The junior defender holds offers from Nebraska, Mississippi State, USF, UCF, and FAU amongst others. He said he hopes to pick up in-state offers from Miami and UF as well. Charlton expressed excitement in Miami hiring David Cooney as an offensive quality control coach. Cooney was Southridge's offensive coordinator last season

"Coach Cooney is the man. There's a lot of kids that he helped get college offers and he helped us to see that we could take our career to another level," he explained.

Off-season plans for Charlton include playing 7-on-7 football with the Florida Fire, UF junior day on March 24th, and visiting Miami's campus some time "real soon".

Last edited:
Advertisement
Pete or others...how does he stack up with the other Ridge DE James Head and Chatfield from Heritage? Do you see all 3 getting offers in the end?

Pete or others...how does he stack up with the other Ridge DE James Head and Chatfield from Heritage? Do you see all 3 getting offers in the end?
IMO those 3 along with Bonnitto are the top tier of that position in SoFla. Charlton's film looks great, the competition is A1, and he's gotta build that looks like he could top out at the 255-265 range, making him perfect for a Kool coached SDE. Those 3 are my personal DE wish list for '18. They all bring different strengths to the table. Side Note: I played against Head's dad in HS and that dude was a ******' PROBLEM!!!! Head Sr., Zo Peterson and Jeanty from CC, and Nanton from Springs were easily the best four D-Linemen in Dade our senior year. I haven't seen him live yet, but if Junior's anything like his dad, we better be on that kid like yesterday.

Advertisement
IMO those 3 along with Bonnitto are the top tier of that position in SoFla. Charlton's film looks great, the competition is A1, and he's gotta build that looks like he could top out at the 255-265 range, making him perfect for a Kool coached SDE. Those 3 are my personal DE wish list for '18. They all bring different strengths to the table. Side Note: I played against Head's dad in HS and that dude was a ******' PROBLEM!!!! Head Sr., Zo Peterson and Jeanty from CC, and Nanton from Springs were easily the best four D-Linemen in Dade our senior year. I haven't seen him live yet, but if Junior's anything like his dad, we better be on that kid like yesterday.

Might be a little shorter than what Kool's prototype seems to be at DE. Same with Chatfield. Kool seems to prefer those long rangy DEs.

I saw Charlton in the state semis and he was incredible. Great athletic build, high motor and made a ton of plays all over the field.

I would like to see how he moves as a LB. He looked very coordinated on his INT return against Deerfield. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

Advertisement
I saw Charlton in the state semis and he was incredible. Great athletic build, high motor and made a ton of plays all over the field.

I would like to see how he moves as a LB. He looked very coordinated on his INT return against Deerfield. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

6'4" is kinda big for an lb, no? How's his speed?

At that size he reminds me of Alabama backer

That's what [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] was saying at the Deerfield Beach game

Issue with that is at Alabama as a 3-4 LB can spend most of time pass rushing. But in 4-3, even with all of Manny's blitzes, he will spend more time in coverage than pass-rushing. Can he make that adjustment if needs to play LB?

If staff believes he has frame to grow into a DE while maintaining speed and athleticism then that point becomes moot.

I'm going to guess that Jonathan Garvin was a similar height/weight at this time last year

IMO those 3 along with Bonnitto are the top tier of that position in SoFla. Charlton's film looks great, the competition is A1, and he's gotta build that looks like he could top out at the 255-265 range, making him perfect for a Kool coached SDE. Those 3 are my personal DE wish list for '18. They all bring different strengths to the table. Side Note: I played against Head's dad in HS and that dude was a ****IN' PROBLEM!!!! Head Sr., Zo Peterson and Jeanty from CC, and Nanton from Springs were easily the best four D-Linemen in Dade our senior year. I haven't seen him live yet, but if Junior's anything like his dad, we better be on that kid like yesterday.

i remember James Head i was a younging then but i went to the camps and stuff as a 9th grader. You gorgot to add Willie Jones to that list. Carol city produced like 8 div 1 dl in a 3 year span it was crazy.

Advertisement
The issue i have with Bonnito.. though he is the best weakside dend down here. Is he tops out currently around 205-210 tops. Dude will have to put on alot of weight.

And as we see Kool has a prerequisite for what he looks for at the dl positions..which is why i hope he overlooks and offers Andrew Chatfield who is built similar to what Michael Sam/Marcus Golden type.

I like Charlton as a local kid though. Looks like a frame to hit the 255-260's

The issue i have with Bonnito.. though he is the best weakside dend down here. Is he tops out currently around 205-210 tops. Dude will have to put on alot of weight.

Do you think he can become a true LB like Shazier? He's so athletic.

Do you think he can become a true LB like Shazier? He's so athletic.

Haven't seen bonnito but I've seen Arden key live at an ol/ dline camp a few years ago when he played highschool ball in ga. He had a tall skinny frame and has put on a bunch of weight since then and is a beast. The weight will come especially in a college strength program where the kids have to train and eat right

Advertisement

Might be a little shorter than what Kool's prototype seems to be at DE. Same with Chatfield. Kool seems to prefer those long rangy DEs.
I agree with you on this one Chise my brother. I will say this however, although they're not 6'5",6'6" guys, they're not sawed-off (Drew especially has a pretty good wingspan to offset the couple of inches in height he's missing) and Shane Ray, Markus Golden and The Flamboyant One are great examples of guys with less than prototypical measurables that have produced greatly under Kool's watch...

6'4" is kinda big for an lb, no? How's his speed?

He's not 6'4.

IMO those 3 along with Bonnitto are the top tier of that position in SoFla. Charlton's film looks great, the competition is A1, and he's gotta build that looks like he could top out at the 255-265 range, making him perfect for a Kool coached SDE. Those 3 are my personal DE wish list for '18. They all bring different strengths to the table. Side Note: I played against Head's dad in HS and that dude was a ****IN' PROBLEM!!!! Head Sr., Zo Peterson and Jeanty from CC, and Nanton from Springs were easily the best four D-Linemen in Dade our senior year. I haven't seen him live yet, but if Junior's anything like his dad, we better be on that kid like yesterday.

i remember James Head i was a younging then but i went to the camps and stuff as a 9th grader. You gorgot to add Willie Jones to that list. Carol city produced like 8 div 1 dl in a 3 year span it was crazy.

Bruh I ain't forget him, he wasn't on those guys level. Not physical AT ALL, if you ran at Willie he'd go from lion to lamb chops real quick. We ran at him twice, gained **** near 30 yards and moved the chains twice. My stupid *** coaches stopped going at him and of course they ended our undefeated streak. Those cats I named, it didn't matter, away from 'em, at 'em, 100% Savage ****. Javon(who I grew up with before I moved to CC) was the best DE in Dade hands down, the others mostly played inside, even though they would've been just as explosive on the edge. Willie Jones was a chasedown artist, that was it.

I agree with you on this one Chise my brother. I will say this however, although they're not 6'5",6'6" guys, they're not sawed-off (Drew especially has a pretty good wingspan to offset the couple of inches in height he's missing) and Shane Ray, Markus Golden and The Flamboyant One are great examples of guys with less than prototypical measurables that have produced greatly under Kool's watch...

Yessir. I know he had a couple guys at Mizzou with less than prototypical height, but I wonder how much of that was a result of not having his pick of the litter like he does here. In any event, I just want producers and dogs. I'm not one to get caught up in height too much.

Advertisement
Back