2017 QB battle

KyCane38

Redshirt Freshman
Considering the fact that MR wants to establish the RPO as the staple of his offense and from what we've already seen from Rosier, I really don't understand the lack of faith in him. I get that Allison probably has the best arm on the team but considering Rosier has an average arm, he does have underrated motility and I think can do damage with his legs moving the chains. I get that a lot of people are thinking Cade or Perry will win the QB battle but with a road trip to FSU in the 3rd week of the season, I really don't see a true freshman starting out the season. What are yalls thoughts on why not Rosier and why someone else?

Advertisement
Jalen Hurts, Josh Rosen, Shane Buechle, and DeOndre Francois say hi

Hurts had Alabamas D and established weapons on O and an Olinemen. Francois was a RS Fr. Rosen and Buechele had decent freshman seasons but I don't want to go 8-4 again

I get the RPO concept,.. And the experience thingy,.. But the receiver group we have,.. Needs a cannon for an arm!! And call it 6 pts and send the defense out to get the ball back!!

Advertisement
Rosier was neck and neck with Testaverde for the backup spot for a while. What does that tell you?

Hurts had Alabamas D and established weapons on O and an Olinemen. Francois was a RS Fr. Rosen and Buechele had decent freshman seasons but I don't want to go 8-4 again

.....we have a D, a pretty **** good WR core even though its young, and the O-line will be improved.

You will go 8-4 again if you have rosier playing

Rosier was neck and neck with Testaverde for the backup spot for a while. What does that tell you?

Cade or Kosi are going to be handed the keys.

Either or this team is going to lean on the D, whoever the QB is. Whoever it is just has to be a game manager

Either or this team is going to lean on the D, whoever the QB is. Whoever it is just has to be a game manager

This team is going to have to lean on the defense regardless who is QB. Despite his faults, just as when Dorsey left, people are underestimating the impact of Kaaya leaving.

Advertisement
Perry, Weldon or Allison will be starting this season... Richt ain't betting the season on Rosier.

The Rosier crowd is really just hoping for a pipe dream to come true, this team will not win the Coastal with him at the helm, he simply doesn't have the arm talent to keep us competitive against the best ACC teams.

I'm in favor of Perry, for the obvious reasons, but I have no problem with Allison or Weldon (if he's ready) starting.

With Perry, he has great arm talent & is an accurate passer, if he were an EE it would be his job hands down.
Incredibly talented & gifted QB, intelligent, highly accomplished & has been the best QB in the State for two years in a row & hasn't declined in play.

Delivers the ball with velocity, but also can take some off his fastball to make nice accurate touch throws, also has great escapability in the pocket under pressure... Is NOT a run first QB, is a pocket passer who can run when needed.

Has been a winner despite the lack of talent around him (imagine if he played for a team like STA or even had Southridge's WR corp).

With Weldon, he's a fiery talented competitor that can make every throw, is a good runner way more than Perry, utilizes his legs a lot, has the advantage of being an EE & being that his father played in basically the same offense under Richt at FSU probably has an understanding of the verbiage already.

The big question mark I have with Weldon is his questionable decision making, makes a lot of bad throws & has the propensity to be a turnover machine if he's not in rhythm early.

With Allison, his best trait is that big arm, he also has the advantage of being in this offense for a year behind Kaaya, isn't a complete statue either so while he may be really tall he can still move if needed.

Apparently, from reports the staff wasn't all that high on him & he definitely struggled both last Spring & Fall camp.
Maybe he's gotten better since then and will take the job this Spring...

All I know is I'm excited to see what we got with these guys, my money is on Perry being the starter by Fall, but I wouldn't be surprised if Allison got it in the Spring. We shall see...

Last edited:
Perry, Weldon or Allison will be starting this season... Richt ain't betting the season on Rosier.

The Rosier crowd is really just hoping for a pipe dream to come true, this team will not win the Coastal with him at the helm, he simply doesn't have the arm talent to keep us competitive against the best ACC teams.

I'm in favor of Perry, for the obvious reasons, but I have no problem with Allison or Weldon (if he's ready) starting.

With Perry, he has great arm talent & is an accurate passer, if he were an EE it would be his job hands down.
Incredibly talented & gifted QB, intelligent, highly accomplished & has been the best QB in the State for two years in a row & hasn't declined in play.

Delivers the ball with velocity, but also can take some off his fastball to make nice accurate touch throws, also has great escapability in the pocket under pressure... Is NOT a run first QB, is a pocket passer who can run when needed.

Has been a winner despite the lack of talent around him (imagine if he played for a team like STA or even had Southridge's WR corp).

With Weldon, he's a fiery talented competitor that can make every throw, is a good runner way more than Perry, utilizes his legs a lot, has the advantage of being an EE & being that his father played is basically the same offense under Richt at FSU probably has an understanding of the verbiage already.

The big question mark have with Weldon is his questionable decision making, makes a lot of bad throws & has the propensity to be a turnover machine if he's not in rhythm early.

With Allison, his best trait is that big arm, he also has the advantage of being in this offense for a year behind Kaaya, isn't a complete statue either so while he may be realistic tall he can still move if needed.

Apparently, from reports the staff wasn't all that high on him & he definitely struggled both last Spring & Fall camp.
Maybe he's gotten better since then and will take the job this Spring...

All I know is I'm excited to see what we got with these guys, my money is on Perry being the starter by Fall, but I wouldn't be surprised if Allison got it in the Spring. We shall see...

I agree 100% with this post, spot on.

I do agree that if Perry was an EE that he would have a good chance to start but I just don't see it happening with him arriving in may. As far as the Olinemen being improved, I'm in wait and see mode as we returned all of our starters last year as well and that position was the weakness of our offense. Spring ball will be very interesting as far as this position goes

Advertisement
I've always heard good things about shireffs but I feel like he may be a high floor/limited ceiling type player

Rosier definitely has the arm strength he's just inconsistent and can be inaccurate

I've always heard good things about shireffs but I feel like he may be a high floor/limited ceiling type player

Yeah, but so was Steve Walsh and Ken Dorsey. Sometimes all you need is a guy that can read a D and get the ball into the hands of the play makers. Whoever wins the job, rest assured, will have better footwork than Kaaya. What I DON'T want is a QB making lots of mistakes, because we have a lot of talent at the skill positions. Just get the ball to them and let them do their thing.

Whoever does that the best will win the job. Might not be the strongest guy. Might not be the fastest guy. Might not be the guy with the most so called potential. It'll be the guy that limits mistakes and gets the ball where it needs to be. I don't care WHO it is, as long as someone emerges and takes the job.

Advertisement
Considering the fact that MR wants to establish the RPO as the staple of his offense and from what we've already seen from Rosier, I really don't understand the lack of faith in him. I get that Allison probably has the best arm on the team but considering Rosier has an average arm, he does have underrated motility and I think can do damage with his legs moving the chains. I get that a lot of people are thinking Cade or Perry will win the QB battle but with a road trip to FSU in the 3rd week of the season, I really don't see a true freshman starting out the season. What are yalls thoughts on why not Rosier and why someone else?[/QUOTE

People shouldn't confuse RPO with a zone read.
RPO are strictly pass options with a run play option. RPOS can happen at all three levels of the defence, dlinemen, linebackers and defensive backs. Don't need any wheels to run an RPO. Just a qb with an arm and vision. Often the run play associated with the RPO is a simple inside zone, out of fun with qb fake or running.

This team is going to have to lean on the defense regardless who is QB. Despite his faults, just as when Dorsey left, people are OVERestimating the impact of Kaaya leaving.

FIFY

All this speculation is for good posting but not even the coaches know what to expect from Weldon or perry until they arrive at practice and get behind center. It's all banter until those two kids get out there and practice

Advertisement
Back