2017 QB battle

Advertisement
Seems to me it comes down to who gets the limited reps with the first team, which CMR won't want to spread across too many guys at the expense of developing his starter. I'd expect he quickly narrows the pool of four (MR, ES, JA, CW) down to two in the spring. One will almost certainly be MR, but its the other that I expect to be the starter in September. NP will get a shot when he arrives in fall, but he'll need to be lights out immediately to get serious consideration, unlikely IMO. Depending upon how much work CMR thinks he needs, he'll either unseat the second guy (who may the transfer) and be worked in over the course of the season or, most likely, red shirted. Expect everyone gets a brief chance to shine, but CMR has to narrow things down quickly to provide his starter with enough first team, full speed experience to be ready in September.

Only QB on the team that has fired live rounds is Rosier. Dude looked pretty **** good to me under the lights.

Any talk about the others atm is pure speculation or propaganda.

Vinny Testaverde Jr. Fired live rounds at Texas Tech. 26 shots I think.

Seems to me it comes down to who gets the limited reps with the first team, which CMR won't want to spread across too many guys at the expense of developing his starter. I'd expect he quickly narrows the pool of four (MR, ES, JA, CW) down to two in the spring. One will almost certainly be MR, but its the other that I expect to be the starter in September. NP will get a shot when he arrives in fall, but he'll need to be lights out immediately to get serious consideration, unlikely IMO. Depending upon how much work CMR thinks he needs, he'll either unseat the second guy (who may the transfer) and be worked in over the course of the season or, most likely, red shirted. Expect everyone gets a brief chance to shine, but CMR has to narrow things down quickly to provide his starter with enough first team, full speed experience to be ready in September.

I agree. But here is my thing with the QB. We have a couple guys who have more than 2 years of eligibility AND have been in the system for at least a year now. With all the talent this team has I think any young QB can come in and lead it. They don't have to be worldly and depended on to carry them. Just take care of the ball and get it to playmakers. It's not very complicated for them. But right now it's the biggest question mark we have coming into the year. I want to see a guy who will be here next year get the ball. I don't want to face this question again next year. I think with all the talent we have, if a couple key guys return next year, we can win it in 2018. That being said I want us to be able to count on this years starter to be here next year. I'd like to see a system where a guy redshirts, plays 2 seasons and bounces. Whether it's Evan or Allison who get the ball play 2 and bounce then give it to Perry or Weldon who play 2 and bounce. Then the next young man waits his time and plays 2 and bounces. Knowing we have a system like that makes it nice to know we have a guy consistently and also that young guys know they can play sooner rather than later. I want this race to be between Evan and Jack. Whoever gets it leads us home in 2018, and rides off to the league allowing Perry or Weldon to take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Put a gun to my head as of today and I say Rosier opens the season as the starter. By no means does that imply it will be permanent...but I think he'll open as the starter.

Jalen Hurts, Josh Rosen, Shane Buechle, and DeOndre Francois say hi

The guys you listed were HS All-Americans & Elite11 prospects outta HS. Cade Weldon & Perry were NOT.

Man you're right, hey what was Luke Falk's and Johnny Manziel's excuse?? You know because they weren't elite11 prospects either

Same excuse Jameis Winston, Andrew Luck, Brad Kaaya, Deshaun Watson, Teddy Bridgewater, Matthew Stafford, etc. was?

I'm riding with Jack and secondarily Cade. I wish Perry would have gotten here early if richt is really leaning towards him.

I've always heard good things about shireffs but I feel like he may be a high floor/limited ceiling type player

Yeah, but so was Steve Walsh and Ken Dorsey. Sometimes all you need is a guy that can read a D and get the ball into the hands of the play makers. Whoever wins the job, rest assured, will have better footwork than Kaaya. What I DON'T want is a QB making lots of mistakes, because we have a lot of talent at the skill positions. Just get the ball to them and let them do their thing.

Whoever does that the best will win the job. Might not be the strongest guy. Might not be the fastest guy. Might not be the guy with the most so called potential. It'll be the guy that limits mistakes and gets the ball where it needs to be. I don't care WHO it is, as long as someone emerges and takes the job.

Agreed! It may be for the best but I am not thrilled about the possibility of relying on a true freshman QB. That being said, we all know it can be done as there are many examples to cite. I would feel much better if Perry was already here but that isn't the reality. I love what Weldon brings to the table but I don't see him being ready. Rosier is the oldest and most experienced of the group but I just can't see him winning the job. I believe it is crucial to have one of the QBs really step up and separate himself this spring. I believe that QB will be either Evan Shirreffs or Jack Allison. Both know that with Perry arriving in May, their time to step up is now! Making a huge statement during spring will be crucial to cementing their status in the eyes of the coaches. I honestly don't care who it is as long as they give us the best opportunity to execute the offense and win games. This Spring's QB battle will be the most important and most scrutinized competition of the offseason. I can't wait to watch and see how it all unfolds.

Advertisement
Comes down to who's the better fit, and gives us the best chance to win.

Richt ain't Folden...He's not takin' no Ls on account of a true frosh QB, and subsequently using that as an excuse if we have a disappointing season...Richt's trying to win.

Advertisement
Ideally, you'd want Perry, Allison or Weldon to take the job. If none of them proves worthwhile, look for Evan Shirreffs to win the starting job. He's limited in arm strength but does everything really well and won't turn the ball over. If you're going to go with a stop-gap type of quarterback, that's what you're looking for. If Rosier starts, he either made a hyper-space jump in ability or we're totally fvcked.

Advertisement
Perry is Richt's guy, the dude has this "winner" feel about him that'll make others want to come and play with him. Mind you this is all speculation based on the few highlights I've seen, but I just get that feeling.

Richt has called Allison out subtlety on more than one occasion. Speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the way N'kosi throws the ball. It looks so effortless. He just flicks his wrist.

Advertisement
Back