2015 Miami Norland safety Davis talks UM offer

View as article

Nash Williams

Freshman
With football being a year-round commitment nowadays, many players use the camp and combine circuit to help promote their name.

That method of exposure helped 2015 Miami Norland (Fla.) safety Carlton Davis earn his two biggest offers to date this week.

After posting a 99.78 SPARQ rating at the Nike Combine this past weekend, Davis became a hot commodity in the recruiting world as he was offered by the Florida Gators on Wednesday, and the Miami Hurricanes on Thursday.

"See, I went in with an injured groin. All I was thinking about was getting through it while trying to perform to the best of my abilities," said Davis. "I did have something to prove. I was just trying to make a statement to the public and let them know, that I'm here. Also that I'm one of the top athletes in the nation"

Even with a groin injury Davis still posted great numbers at the SPARQ combine. He ran a 4.67 40-yard dash, ran a 4.50 shuttle, had a 40.0-foot power ball throw, and also had a vertical jump of 36.9 inches.

Certainly, Al Golden's staff took notice of the six-foot-two, 180-pounder's athletic ability as him and his staff called him on Thursday to officially offer him.

"I just came to school and my coach told me to come into his office. When I went in there, he already had the UM coaches on the phone," said Davis. "I talked to (running backs) coach Hurlie (Brown) who told me about the offer. I got to talk to (defensive backs) coach (Paul) Williams too."

What were coach Williams and coach Hurlie telling him?

"They were just telling me they want me to come down there so they could meet my mom and stuff. It was just real exciting because I was expecting the offer," said Davis.

Davis was almost awestruck when he visited the campus in January for a junior day.

"It's real big. It's a really beautiful campus you know. I mean it was just really big and I liked it," said Davis.

So what must a school have to attract Davis to it?

"I really plan on majoring in human behavior which is basically psychology so hopefully they have that. I also want a place that's a good environment and where the coaches help me reach my potential and make me the best player I can be," said Williams.

If you were wondering, the University of Miami does offer degrees in psychology.

Davis describes himself as real physical and fast player who is just trying to help lead his team to a state championship this next season.

While south Florida has a enormous talent pool of defensive backs in the 2015 class, Davis is not one to sleep on.

**Davis plays for the South Florida Express 7-on-7 team

**Here are his highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/3229470/highlights/76096378

Advertisement
Advertisement
If you were wondering, the University of Miami does offer degrees in psychology.

BOSS

Don't Genron and/or Chad Wilson coach the sofla express? Yeah he won't be coming here once they get in his ear!

Advertisement
Hurlie Brown is Mr. Offer. Love this kids high light.

I hate to say this but i have yet to see D'no offer anybody, even the grad assistant found that RB from Texas. Golden needs to make him do something. great article otherwise!!

I'm not defending D'O here but that generally isn't how recruiting works. You don't recruit a player you "find", you recruit an area of the country/state etc.

I'm not exactly sure how Miami structures their recruiting though. I would guess Brown and Barrow's primary area is Miami and surrounding counties.

Don't Genron and/or Chad Wilson coach the sofla express? Yeah he won't be coming here once they get in his ear!

Tyre Brady, Ryan Mayes, Duke Johnson, Stacy coley, deon bush, Tracy Howard, and so on all played for sfe

I'm not defending D'O here but that generally isn't how recruiting works. You don't recruit a player you "find", you recruit an area of the country/state etc.

I'm not exactly sure how Miami structures their recruiting though. I would guess Brown and Barrow's primary area is Miami and surrounding counties.

I know it's been said on here before that Broward county is Doritos area.

I also believe I heard before (can't remember where) that Golden has the entire staff recruit Plam Bay down. Don't quote me on that though because I'm not positive about that.

Advertisement

641.gif

Can we please stop with these kind of post. This is starting to get as bad when we talk about a defensive recruit it turns into a ***** about Coach D thread.

Can we please stop with these kind of post. This is starting to get as bad when we talk about a defensive recruit it turns into a **** about Coach D thread.
This is like saying a kid listens to them more then his parents that want him here in the worst way. They're no good but they aren't going to decide who we get

Advertisement
Went through his tape. I like it. Very aggressive player. Isn't afraid of contact and attacks the ball in the air. Gotta work on his open field tackling and not diving at players' feet, but other than that looks good.

Also, glad his nickname is C Murda. Carlton just ain't it.

Psychology is one of the most popular majors out there.

although that degree takes you nowhere these days.

Advertisement
Back