2015 commit Kevin Feder

Remember in the mid/late 2000's when we couldn't recruit OL worth a ****?

Thank god that appears to be changing/changed.

Seems it's switched to DT recruiting now

I don't know. We whiffed in the previous two classes, which really set us back. But Moten and Jenkins look to be the real deal, and Wyche and Huertelou look to be a trade up versus Porter/Robinson.

Advertisement
Remember in the mid/late 2000's when we couldn't recruit OL worth a ****?

Thank god that appears to be changing/changed.

Seems it's switched to DT recruiting now

I don't know. We whiffed in the previous two classes, which really set us back. But Moten and Jenkins look to be the real deal, and Wyche and Huertelou look to be a trade up versus Porter/Robinson.

It's actually a really nice group, just losing Valentine and our previous misses can't be ignored.

Kamalu is the guy that HAS to pan out though.

Jersey kids play hard talk **** and work thier tails off in the classroom and weight room

Advertisement
I don't see Feder withdrawing his commitment anytime soon, if ever.

That's quite a bold statement, Nash.

I hope you're right.

I hope he's right too but I don't think it's a bold statement. He did throw in "anytime soon..." to cover his ***.

Reillllly lol. Ill say yhe Guard game is tight work up their tho.

Because one big OL recruit flipped to a better program last minute I guess they all will now.

Gibbons was a special case.

Advertisement
how come O line is the only position where we get solid recruits every year?

It changes...and I don't know why. In the '80's we couldn't get top tier OLs for anything. Leon Searcy was a sleeper, not on the recruiting lists of the time. Even during our best years, we were very mediocre at running the ball. We could pass block very well, but not run. We would get stuffed, especially playing the northern teams like Pitt, ND, etc. Our guys were undersized. I think some of it had to do with not being as well coached as OLs are today, given the camps and all. I heard a story that Christ Vagotis, our OL coach in '83 said--he said it was very hard to get young OLs to learn to pass and run block equally well. Our guys were better pass blockers.

I think that's part of the problem we're having on defense, besides mediocre athletes in the front seven and safeties. Our defense is too complex and expects them to learn too much. I think the aggressive scheme we used to play starting with JJ was easier to learn, since you just pinned your ears back and penetrated through the gap and then read.

I agree.

FYI: Among NFL coaching circles, Stanford OL have a reputation for being soft.

I don't know how he plays, but that guy on the Dolphins who had all the emotional issues, wasn't he from Stanford?

The way I remember football, it was an environment full of abuse, from your teammates, your coaches. If anybody sensed any weakness, you were fair game.

I just can't imagine a guy who reacts that way getting to where he did, at least back when I was involved in football. (I don't call what I did "playing," because I wasn't very good. At least I went out for the team and tried.)

Then there was the Stanford alum who played a bit in the NFL...and then, "came out." I don't want to start a controversy, though. There might not be any correlation between toughness and that propensity. So, don't get on my case. (I know his brother played for us.)

how come O line is the only position where we get solid recruits every year?

Art is institution. Walt before him. Southland was here, stolen by Bama and now NFL. We have had nice history of oline coaches. Plus, a lot of oline recruits are a little more interested in education-- actually not just lip service. That gives us an edge over the SEC factories. They still get most of the sure 1st round beasts but the solid performers with brains, we have slight edge.

Advertisement
I agree.

FYI: Among NFL coaching circles, Stanford OL have a reputation for being soft.

332.jpg

Advertisement
Back