2013 DT Eddie Vanderdoes Decommits, could UM be Possibility

Advertisement
all im saying is that i can hope for the best when and if they release him the Pac12 and alabama will be restricted so we can reach put show him our depth chart BAM he is a CANE

Stranger things have happened. Look at his top 15 list...ND is nowhere to be found! Kid changes his mind a lot. Big Al should give him a call and remind him that we are THE U and we need DT's! Couldn't hurt!

Advertisement
Florida State's Matthew Thomas might not be the only five-star recruit in this year's class already on the move. Growing speculation surrounds Notre Dame'sEddie Vanderdoes and whether he'll honor his letter of intent with the Irish.Joe Davidson of the Sacramento Bee wrote Vanderdoes may not make it to South Bend for fall camp.

"Dad of ND recruit Eddie Vanderdoes says he does not support an incoming freshman being released from a (national letter of intent) simply due to 'change of heart,'" ESPN.com's Joe Schad tweeted.

Vanderdoes' father said, "When Eddie explains his side it will shed some light."

A signing day snafu was reportedly the start of Vanderdoes' rocky relationship with Notre Dame, but it isn't the only reason behind Vanderdoes' current thinking.

"Sources close to the situation only added to the gray areas, offering a multitude of reasons for a possible 11th-hour defection as well as a wide variety of possible outcomes," Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune reported.

Notre Dame defensive line coach Mike Elston still expects Vanderdoes to report for fall camp.

“We signed an excellent class of defensive linemen,” Elston told Tony Krausz of the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette.

“I’m excited about coaching those guys that we signed, and Eddie being one of them. I’m excited about him reporting in June with his classmates, and I can’t wait to develop him into an excellent football player.”

If Vanderdoes decides Notre Dame is not for him, UCLA is his likely landing spot. Vanderdoes initially chose the Fighting Irish over the Bruins. The defensive tackle may now do the opposite.

"A source says 2013 five-star DL Eddie Vanderdoes is looking to enroll at UCLA,"BruinSportsReport.com wrote.

Everything is dependent on Vanderdoes asking to be released from his letter of intent. It's yet to be determined whether he will or not. If he does, then Notre Dame would have to grant his release, which is unlikely. Vanderdoes could then appeal to the NCAA to be released or sit out the 2013 season and transfer to play for another team in 2014.

Notre Dame, meanwhile, may have to prepare this season without the thought of having Vanderdoes in the fold. The talented defensive lineman will be counted among the team's two-deep this fall if he decides to attend school in South Bend. If he doesn't, then the Fighting Irish staff may have to make some adjustments to its front seven.

"A possible solution might be to consider moving either junior Ishaq Williams or classmate Ben Councell from the deep outside linebacker ranks to end," Hansen wrote. "Williams already split time between the two positions in the spring and excelled at it."

Advertisement
Back