2013 Defensive line

We just need a few breaks to go our way on the DL and it actually could he pretty decent. Chick is going to be solid and we have new bodies at DE to compete.

The key is Luther and Porter. Both have shown flashes when healthy and focused and they both are actually pretty talented. Also there's no replacing having grown men on the interior and a guy like Pierre makes a nice #3 DT if those top two can play the way they should.

Can't get my hopes up yet, but its not all bad up front, on paper anyway.

I hope they do slide Chick inside. We have so many edge rushers being brought in it's ridiculous. Chick,Porter, Robinson would form a solid trio in the middle no?

Chick's been undersized at DE. Finally has his real weight up at ideal DE size. Would be an injury waiting to happen at DT.

Advertisement
The biggest thing I think everyone if forgetting is competition. This is the first spring that there will be enough depth to actually have some serious competition forcing these guys to get better. The biggest thing I love about the competition is that it started in the weight room. These guys have been pushing each other to find a place on the depth chart and that will continue to happen during spring practice.

You guys have to realize that due to the shorter number of practices most of the technique and fundamentals are thought during spring practice. These guys will improve because of the competition and the experience.

Lets take a closer look at the state of the defensiveline. I know most of you guys believe the defensiveline will be a weakness of this team but I see it differently. I truly believe this D Line will be a strength of this team and suprise everyone.

It is proven knowledge that most defensive lineman don't start to make a serious impact until they have been in a program for at least 3 years. It takes time and a lot of hard work to develop the strength and technique necessary to be successful.

Here are the reasons I think they will be successful.
1. Experience (Miami enters this season with 13 guys with playing experience.)
2. Age (there will be 11 defensive lineman on this roster in their 3rd year out of high school)
3. No more youth (for the first time in a long time a true freshman will not have to play)

Guys who will take the next step
1. Earl Moore
2. Corey King
3. Jalen Grimble

Guys who could make a suprise impact
1. Dyron Dye
2. Ufomba Kamalu

If Curtis can stay healthy this will allow the staff to shorten the rotation to 8-10 guys eliminating the huge drop off in talent. There is talent on this defensiveline and we will finally get to see it.

Sorry brother..love the enthusiasm and positive thinking but there is simply a lack of talent on the D Line depth chart right now.

A guy like Green, in a year where the Canes are a strong team, should be nowhere near the 2 deep...much less starting. I'm not convinced McCord ever gains enough weight to be an every down D end and Chickillo is probably better suited long term to gain some weight and kick inside.

You can almost argue our best D end is incoming freshman AQM, and any time you even have to consider a true freshman possible being your best D end it's a bad sign.

If Porter gets hurt this goes from an average, at best, D line to a problem that will likely keep us from getting where we want to go this year (10+ wins).

Pray Porter stays healthy and can play a signficant amount of snaps. There are a whole lotta JAGS waiting in the wings behind him if he goes down and it would be much of the same from what we saw last year in terms of stopping the run.

You may be right but I hope he is.

If the kids are finally at worst equally as strong as the guys they line up against, we'll be fine.

I can't even count how many times I saw TEs blocking one on one with DEs and owning them.

Advertisement
There's no sugar-coating it: this group needs to get bigger and better. It took Butch Davis a few years to get the DL right, so I'm not killing Golden. But it's not where it needs to be and he knows it.

Not enough quality size at DE and not enough playmakers at DT. It's one thing to have bodies, but quite another to have impact players.

Our size at d end is fine. The number one d end getting drafted this year is 245 soaking wet. Just get to the qb

There's no sugar-coating it: this group needs to get bigger and better. It took Butch Davis a few years to get the DL right, so I'm not killing Golden. But it's not where it needs to be and he knows it.

Not enough quality size at DE and not enough playmakers at DT. It's one thing to have bodies, but quite another to have impact players.

Our size at d end is fine. The number one d end getting drafted this year is 245 soaking wet. Just get to the qb

Can't compare that DE's athletic ability to what we have. Asked to do different things.

When you lack depth and talent it's a tough place to start from. We can put a decent starting group on the field, but we don't have much after that. We need to identify a stud DE, to play opposite of Chick. My money is on AQM.

Advertisement
[]_[]Fan2010;1466577 said:
Guys who will take the next step
1. Earl Moore
2. Corey King
3. Jalen Grimble

DBC?

Aside from maybe Grimble, I have no idea why you think those guys " will take the next stop". They've not even really shown flashes of being good.

1. Moore was a freshman last year, King a redshirt freshman. It's far fetched to assume that a freshman (especially a DT) has much more room to grow? Doesn't take DBC type of optimism to hope for that.

2. If you are going to take that step, what exactly has Grimble shown (I still have hope for him, and feel like he should have been redshirted in an ideal world)? Ivery and Moore have just a good a chance of contributing the next few years.

When you lack depth and talent it's a tough place to start from. We can put a decent starting group on the field, but we don't have much after that. We need to identify a stud DE, to play opposite of Chick. My money is on AQM.

It's going to be Mccord. AQM would have to be pretty off what everyone projects to not receive a decent amount of snaps, though.

It's going to be Mccord. AQM would have to be pretty off what everyone projects to not receive a decent amount of snaps, though.

Bond.

I'm expecting to see a lot more odd fronts this year.

Bond.

I'm expecting to see a lot more odd fronts this year.

Bond looks like a terror coming off the edge in his highlight vid. We really didn't have anyone who fit the role of a stand-up pass rusher last year.

Advertisement
Well, I like the kernel of the OP's post, which is our guys should be getting better overtime rather than just stagnating as in years past. No reason to think that the D-Line won't take another step this year. I'd love for them to be dominant, but I'll be happy and optimistic if they take another step toward becoming dominant.

Problem2, my friend, you beat me to it..What in gods name are some of you saying when you predict Moore,King,Ivery wont make a jump next year? They were TF! They shouldnt even have been out there! King was a R-Fr and HE shouldnt have been out there if we had any kind of depth! I am not as optimistic as the original poster but **** im not gonna **** on these kids either before I have seen what kind of work they put in. Some of you complain just to get ur post count up I think..Smh.

Lets face it..The only guys we can count on at this point when FLA gets here on 9/7 not to get totally humiliated and not have there manhood takin on national TV like King did against FSU are Porter, Pierre, Chick, Robinson, and Green. Yes Green. Buddy is a JAG but he has heart and will hold his own. He just cant do it every down. Which is where guys like Dye, McCord, Bond, and Hamilton hopefully come in to spell him.

I am not ready to give up on the guys who are in there second/third year just yet. Moore/Ivery/Grimble/King can be servicable at some point in the season. And I think two of them will step up. But it is asking WAY too much for them to come in and be superstar backups this early in the game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back