2013 Defensive line

Hstokes1447

Junior
Lets take a closer look at the state of the defensiveline. I know most of you guys believe the defensiveline will be a weakness of this team but I see it differently. I truly believe this D Line will be a strength of this team and suprise everyone.

It is proven knowledge that most defensive lineman don't start to make a serious impact until they have been in a program for at least 3 years. It takes time and a lot of hard work to develop the strength and technique necessary to be successful.

Here are the reasons I think they will be successful.
1. Experience (Miami enters this season with 13 guys with playing experience.)
2. Age (there will be 11 defensive lineman on this roster in their 3rd year out of high school)
3. No more youth (for the first time in a long time a true freshman will not have to play)

Guys who will take the next step
1. Earl Moore
2. Corey King
3. Jalen Grimble

Guys who could make a suprise impact
1. Dyron Dye
2. Ufomba Kamalu

If Curtis can stay healthy this will allow the staff to shorten the rotation to 8-10 guys eliminating the huge drop off in talent. There is talent on this defensiveline and we will finally get to see it.

Advertisement
I figure Ivery's more likey to make an impact than some of those guys. Hopefully briscoe too but no idea what to expect from him. Maybe grimble.

Lets take a closer look at the state of the defensiveline. I know most of you guys believe the defensiveline will be a weakness of this team but I see it differently. I truly believe this D Line will be a strength of this team and suprise everyone.

It is proven knowledge that most defensive lineman don't start to make a serious impact until they have been in a program for at least 3 years. It takes time and a lot of hard work to develop the strength and technique necessary to be successful.

Here are the reasons I think they will be successful.
1. Experience (Miami enters this season with 13 guys with playing experience.)
2. Age (there will be 11 defensive lineman on this roster in their 3rd year out of high school)
3. No more youth (for the first time in a long time a true freshman will not have to play)

Guys who will take the next step
1. Earl Moore
2. Corey King
3. Jalen Grimble

Guys who could make a suprise impact
1. Dyron Dye
2. Ufomba Kamalu

If Curtis can stay healthy this will allow the staff to shorten the rotation to 8-10 guys eliminating the huge drop off in talent. There is talent on this defensiveline and we will finally get to see it.

Sorry brother..love the enthusiasm and positive thinking but there is simply a lack of talent on the D Line depth chart right now.

A guy like Green, in a year where the Canes are a strong team, should be nowhere near the 2 deep...much less starting. I'm not convinced McCord ever gains enough weight to be an every down D end and Chickillo is probably better suited long term to gain some weight and kick inside.

You can almost argue our best D end is incoming freshman AQM, and any time you even have to consider a true freshman possible being your best D end it's a bad sign.

If Porter gets hurt this goes from an average, at best, D line to a problem that will likely keep us from getting where we want to go this year (10+ wins).

Pray Porter stays healthy and can play a signficant amount of snaps. There are a whole lotta JAGS waiting in the wings behind him if he goes down and it would be much of the same from what we saw last year in terms of stopping the run.

Advertisement
Golden has sung the praises of Jelani Hamilton coming into Spring practices. He got some burn last year even though he was less than a year (or just around a year) removed from a torn ACL. I have seen him walking around campus and he looks like he has redistributed his weight in a good way. I am really hoping that he can take a step and be a regular on the DL for us.

I think our 2 starting DTs have the potential to actually be really solid (if they can somehow stay healthy). The question is who steps up to actually produce quality minutes rotating in with those 2.

We have some nice young pass rushers, but most of them don't currently have the size to be every-down players, so they are more dependent on the coaching to put them in positions to make plays (worrisome)

Advertisement
Outside of guys like McCord and Terry I don't see any of the other guys taking a huge step forward or even a big step(I think guys like Moore, Grimble and King all have low ceilings). I think Hoilett will make some noise though.

Gotta hope Pierre, Porter, and Robinson can reallly anchor the DTs because there's not much behind them that's going to help.

Jelani Hamilton will be interesting, I want to see if he plays 100%.

I've said this before Dline needs men, grown men.

this is where you want most of your production from, your SR's and your JR's. Now its up to the coaching staff to get guys like Grimble and Cain motivated and take their games to another level. If we get these guys to produce then we should be in great shape. then you should have your exceptions from some of the junior guys like Hamilton, McCord, Hoilett, and Briscoe. Guys like AQM would get red shirted at Ala or ND and he should here as well. He needs an offseason in the weight room and focus on getting ready.
49 Dyron Dye DL 6-5 261 Sr.
51 Shayon Green DL 6-3 262 Sr.
94 Kelvin Cain DE 6-3 242 Sr.
96 Curtis Porter DL 6-1 312 Sr.
93 Luther Robinson DL 6-3 290 Sr.

71 Anthony Chickillo DL 6-4 269 Jr.
92 Jalen Grimble DL 6-2 292 Jr.
85 David Perry DL 6-7 262 Jr.
91 Olsen Pierre DL 6-4 300 Jr.

99 Jelani Hamilton DL 6-5 280 So.
66 Dequan Ivery DL 6-1 302 So.
67 Corey King DL 6-1 295 So.
17 Tyriq McCord DL 6-3 236 So.
72 Earl Moore DL 6-1 300 So.
90 Ricardo Williams DL 6-5 251 So.

87 Jacoby Briscoe DL 6-5 302 RFr.
97 Dwayne Hoilett DL 6-3 240 RFr.

I'm a numbers guy. We starting to get enough guys in the system, especially second and third year guys, that law of averages says some of them should develop. Physical and mental maturation, as well as work in the weight room, eventually kicks in. Plus, with another year under their belts and a less daunting schedule (sans physically stronger teams ND and K-State) are other reasons for hope.

Advertisement
I know you guys are saying you don't see hope for the Dline. I've seen guys step up a lot in football from out of the blue. From my youth team to my high school team. Guys step up and the whole team is like where did he come from? They never even showed a flash of potential but just break out. I think that will be the case for some guys this season. Even if they aren't getting TFL or sacks as long as we can at least hold the point of attack for the linebackers to smack ball carriers then I'm fine with that. That comes from the heart. You can't teach a guy not to get beat up or run into the ground. He's gotta want it. If they stay low and use their hands they'll be fine. I don't think it's a matter of talent it's a matter of HEART. Come September we'll find out who has more heart. That's all that playing the line is really about at the end of the day. You're tougher than the guy in front of you.

on paper the DL should be fine and potentially good.

DT - Porter (good as long as healthy), Pierre (finished strong last year and now in his 3rd year so should be ready to hit full stride), Robinson (can get penetration and push but not consistently yet but should be improved), King/Ivery/Moore - all should be at least better than they were last year but not necessarily good, but still improved.

DE - Green (can't pass rush for nothing, but played the run okay, hustled enough to lead team in tackles, and hasn't spent his time rehabbing so can assume he's actually able to work on his game this off season - should see at least some improvement), Chick (3rd year in and finally growing into a real DE's body, if nothing else should be improved and be good overall), Dye (instantly the best combo of size/speed/strength - full grown man at DE and improves the athletic ability up front and should at least help hold up against the run) Grimble/Hamilton/Cain/etc...all should be bigger, and with 1 more year of experience so some improvement should be seen.

DL overall should be improved and if Porter stays healthy it should be much improved. Really is no reason this unit can't be a positive for the team. Should be some adjustments as to how guys are lined up though - DEs a little wider to compensate for lack of size even with their increase in size/strength. Probably the greatest asset for each is their motors and giving them a little more space to maneuver should help them out.

with that said, I still ain't too confident in our DC so actual improvements in the results column I'm not sure how much there will be. Should be a huge improvement from 100+ - enough talent for it at this point.

Advertisement
There's no sugar-coating it: this group needs to get bigger and better. It took Butch Davis a few years to get the DL right, so I'm not killing Golden. But it's not where it needs to be and he knows it.

Not enough quality size at DE and not enough playmakers at DT. It's one thing to have bodies, but quite another to have impact players.

We just need a few breaks to go our way on the DL and it actually could he pretty decent. Chick is going to be solid and we have new bodies at DE to compete.

The key is Luther and Porter. Both have shown flashes when healthy and focused and they both are actually pretty talented. Also there's no replacing having grown men on the interior and a guy like Pierre makes a nice #3 DT if those top two can play the way they should.

Can't get my hopes up yet, but its not all bad up front, on paper anyway.

There's no sugar-coating it: this group needs to get bigger and better. It took Butch Davis a few years to get the DL right, so I'm not killing Golden. But it's not where it needs to be and he knows it.

Not enough quality size at DE and not enough playmakers at DT. It's one thing to have bodies, but quite another to have impact players.

only takes 1 guy to step up and be that impact guy for the whole unit to make a big jump forward. I think a healthy Porter can be that guy. Could make things easier on the rest of the DL and the LBs.

We just need a few breaks to go our way on the DL and it actually could he pretty decent. Chick is going to be solid and we have new bodies at DE to compete.

The key is Luther and Porter. Both have shown flashes when healthy and focused and they both are actually pretty talented. Also there's no replacing having grown men on the interior and a guy like Pierre makes a nice #3 DT if those top two can play the way they should.

Can't get my hopes up yet, but its not all bad up front, on paper anyway.

I hope they do slide Chick inside. We have so many edge rushers being brought in it's ridiculous. Chick,Porter, Robinson would form a solid trio in the middle no?

Advertisement
Back