2011 Recruiting Class (Al's "3rd Year" related)

Winky is Wright

Junior
Banned
Why is the 2011 class always considered a Golden class? I consistently read on this board something a long the lines of "This is Golden's 3rd year playing with his players."

The 2011 Class is the definition of the Thanks, Randy term.

Randy Shannon was fired on November 27, 2010. At that time Randy had 5 verbal commits.

Al Golden is brought in on December 12, 2010 (56 days before N.S.D) Also we need to count in a few of those weeks leading up into NSD as "dead," or "quiet" periods.

QB Teddy Bridgewater: It was pretty clear Bridgewater wan't going to play for a white coach. We're already down to 4.

S Albert Louis-Jean: Was already considered a soft commit beforehand, ends up at BC. Down to 3

OG Marcus Jackson: Another kid who was wavering before Al stepped foot on campus, ends up at Tennessee. Down to 2.

2 remaining commits
--------------------

WR: Phillip Dorsett
DE: Anthony Chickillo

Al ends up signing 15 more kids then adds a few more kids that spring to help with depth issues (King, Alexis, Wells, Armbrister, and Smith)

Of those 15, 5 are already gone (The Punishment of God, Finnie, Paul, Kinard, and Botts)

It's hard enough to recruit some of the divas down here when you have 15 months of interaction, better yet 56 days. Are we really going to consider this an Al Golden class?

Essentially, Al Golden has -twelve- players joining him for his "3rd year."

That being said, 9 wins or bust.

Advertisement
Most of the Randy slurpers gave the man every opportunity to fail. They couldn't even believe he was fired after it was more than obvious he was a complete failure. Golden actually has a plan and you can see the players being developed before our eyes. I have a feeling the defense is going to take a huge leap forward this year and Miami is going to show they are one more infusion "2014 recruiting class" away from being a championship caliber squad annually. Beat UF and FSU and the floodgates open up and it's lights out for #2 and #3. The Kings will officially be back and there's no stopping us.

The fact that Golden managed to pull in the class he did was amazing. When he took over in December Miami had 0 thats right 0 visits set up and only Chick and Dorsett committed. Al is an ace recruiter and a salesman amongst salesmen.

Advertisement
this incoming class will provide depth. then next year it goes from rebuilding to reloading

And then you have the dead period in recruiting.

That was a "duct tape" class.

I understand this aspect of the current coaching regimes recruiting. And while it is properly factored into my opinion, the lack of DT recruiting will become a problem as early as 2014. the other positions, especially WR and OL, have been amazing so that is taken into account as well.

For the record, I applied Shannon's 1st class (2007) which was sort of similar to what Golden had when he got here. He got a full 4 years, when in reality (using this logic) he never got a full class through the program. He actually did a better job with his first class (as far as headliners go):

Allen Bailey/LB
Robert Marve/QB
Chris Perry/DT
Orlando Franklin/OL
Adewale Ojomo/DE
Doug Wiggins/DB (huge get @ the time)

Yes, he was a clown.

I'm just making sure we apply it evenly around here.

Advertisement
I dont consider that his class. shannon had like 2-3 commits at the time Golden came in. the ncaa mess started up and it was a mess.

i said all along his 4th year here will be his most telling.

Everybody knows by the end of Shannon's time here he had mailed it in.

Seriously, he had NO visits set up.

shannon had a couple good classes his first two years then gave up. plus, he was always firing coaches. His main problem was he couldnt develop anyone.

You are being very nice, I think it's a 10 win or bust year. Especially when we should play in the ACC Championship and a Bowl game.

Advertisement
Cross/Ridler..

I'm not disagreeing that he sucked or mailed it in. But Shannon came in and put together a much better class than Golden did in his first recruiting class on campus.

Shannon's handicapped class:
-Bailey (NFL)
-Franklin (NFL)
-Ojomo (NFL)
-Vandyke (NFL)
-Berry (NFL)
-Hankerson (NFL)
-Adderley (HOF!)

Golden's (too early):
-Chickillo (NFL?)
-Dorsett (NFL?)
-Perryman (NFL?)
-Pierre (NFL?)
-Rashawn Scott (NFL?)

shannon was already on the staff and an alumni with long ties to south florida. Golden is a penn st alumni from jersey who was coach at temple. Also, you had stout land, hurtt, and hill out the door trying to steal kids. There was not a kid under shannon who lived up to his best potential. even spence.

Cross/Ridler..

I'm not disagreeing that he sucked or mailed it in. But Shannon came in and put together a much better class than Golden did in his first recruiting class on campus.

-Bailey (NFL)
-Franklin (NFL)
-Ojomo (NFL)
-Vandyke (NFL)
-Berry (NFL)
-Hankerson (NFL)
-Adderley (HOF!)

Golden's (too early):
-Chickillo (NFL?)
-Dorsett (NFL?)
-Perryman (NFL?)
-Pierre (NFL?)
-Rashawn Scott (NFL?)

You can't forget that when Shannon took over, he was 4 years or so removed from a championship team. When Golden stepped on campus it was almost a decade since Miami was relevant, plus the program was in more disarray then when Shannon took over. The pull to the SEC wasn't quite as strong as it was in 2010 either.

Advertisement
And then you have the dead period in recruiting.

That was a "duct tape" class.

I understand this aspect of the current coaching regimes recruiting. And while it is properly factored into my opinion, the lack of DT recruiting will become a problem as early as 2014. the other positions, especially WR and OL, have been amazing so that is taken into account as well.

For the record, I applied Shannon's 1st class (2007) which was sort of similar to what Golden had when he got here. He got a full 4 years, when in reality (using this logic) he never got a full class through the program. He actually did a better job with his first class (as far as headliners go):

Allen Bailey/LB
Robert Marve/QB
Chris Perry/DT
Orlando Franklin/OL
Adewale Ojomo/DE
Doug Wiggins/DB (huge get @ the time)

Yes, he was a clown.

I'm just making sure we apply it evenly around here.

That's the problem. You can't apply things evenly.
Shannon was on the staff recruiting kids for UM prior to being hired as the HC.
Golden was recruiting for Temple up until December. Big difference that you need to account for that you are disingenuously not.

Cross/Ridler..

-Bailey (NFL)
-Franklin (NFL)
-Ojomo (NFL)
-Vandyke (NFL)
-Berry (NFL)
-Hankerson (NFL)
-Adderley (HOF!)

Golden's (too early):
-Chickillo (NFL?)
-Dorsett (NFL?)
-Perryman (NFL?)
-Pierre (NFL?)
-Rashawn Scott (NFL?)

You can't forget that when Shannon took over, he was 4 years or so removed from a championship team. When Golden stepped on campus it was almost a decade since Miami was relevant, plus the program was in more disarray then when Shannon took over. The pull to the SEC wasn't quite as strong as it was in 2010 either.

All excellent points.

The same idiots who couldn't see incompetence for 4 painful years are incapable of recognizing competence as it rebuilds the program from virtually rock bottom.

The current opinions of those who couldn't see the ongoing disaster of the Shannon era are worthy of far less consideration than those who saw it early on.

It's the reason current protestations of clowns like Miami Nights fail to impress; he has proven he is incapable of seeing what is happening on the field or off even when it's staring him in the face.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back