2003 Fiesta Bowl Fiasco (Never saw this before)

Yep. I've seen a screenshot that shows the football in a vertical orientation (with the nose pointed straight to the sky) as it is approaching Sharpe and the receiver. This would defy the laws of physics unless the ball was tipped.

Advertisement
Yep, its unfortunate it even came down to that. We couldn't get in sync most of the game and shot ourselves in the foot a lot that night. Still a horrendous call that decided a national title.
You’re right the game should’ve never been that close to begin with. But yes we were screwed in the end…

Advertisement
I’m looking forward to the day where we’ve won another 2-3 ‘ships so can move on from the pain of 2003.

20 years later and collectively we haven’t moved past it.
Yep, worse loss as a fan for any of my teams pro or college. On the line was back to back championships and a 35 game unbeaten streak. Keep in mind, I tie this all together with getting screwed out of playing for the title in 2000. The greatest collection of talent in a 4 year period deserved at least two titles.

I still haven't gotten past 1988 or 2000. Never will

Same, 1988 was the original 2002-3. Refs were not going to let that team walk out of South Bend with a win. I bet they wouldn't have overturned that call even if there had been instant replay at the time.

And if Roscoe doesn’t fumble inside the OSU 10 very late in the game, maybe we score a TD and maybe we win 21-17.
And if Dorsey doesn’t throw 2 picks late second quarter to hand OSU 10 easy points.
And if Dorsey gets an accurate pass to wide-open Eric Winston at the goal line, maybe we tie in OT at 31, and fight on.

And if Willis isn’t injured maybe the offense starts to roll…

It definitely was not KD's best game. O-line was also getting beat more than usual.

Advertisement
Man.....

This reminder is prolly why we as a whole haven't moved on and started the next chapter.

We gotta move on.
I couldn't move on after 1986 until we won in 1987. Likewise, in 1988 until 1989 or 2000 until 2001.

There is no moving on from this until we win the next one. What makes this one fester is that it's taking 20 years.

Same, 1988 was the original 2002-3. Refs were not going to let that team walk out of South Bend with a win. I bet they wouldn't have overturned that call even if there had been instant replay at the time.
The thing about 1988 was that there was nothing to overturn. The call on the field was they gave ND the ball on downs. They never measured to see if Miami got a first down.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with ChatGPT. Basically, it's an AI chat bot that was trained on a massive amount of text data (videos, articles, websites) which allows it to source its responses from a wide range of knowledge.

I asked it to chime in.

Me: Pretend you're a career football referee who has watched and analyzed film of every college football game taped since the forward pass became legal. Now recall the 2003 Fiesta Bowl where the Miami Hurricanes played against the Ohio State Buckeyes. In the first overtime, there was a controversial pass interference call against Miami cornerback Glenn Sharpe that extended the game and allowed the Buckeyes to eventually win the game in the 2nd overtime. Do you remember the play I'm taking about? If you do, what do you think of the call by referee Terry Porter, who threw the flag for pass interference 5 seconds after the ball had landed on the ground? Be as objective as possible, taking into account reports and opinions by the most well renowned and respected sportswriters at the time along with your professional opinion.

ChatGPT: Yes, I remember the play you're referring to in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl. It was a highly controversial call that sparked a lot of debate and discussion at the time, and it's still talked about to this day.

In my professional opinion as a referee, the call by Terry Porter was highly questionable. It appeared as though Glenn Sharpe had made a clean play on the ball, and there was very little contact with the receiver until after he touched the ball. Furthermore, the flag was thrown five seconds after the ball had landed on the ground, which suggests that the referee may have been influenced by the crowd or the situation of the game.

Many respected sportswriters at the time also criticized the call. For example, ESPN's Mark Schlabach wrote, "It was one of the worst calls in the history of college football." Similarly, Sports Illustrated's Austin Murphy called it a "phantom pass interference call."

Overall, I believe that the call was incorrect and had a significant impact on the outcome of the game. It's a reminder that even in highly competitive and high-pressure situations, officials need to remain objective and make calls based on what they see, rather than the situation or the atmosphere of the game.

Me: Find Terry Porter

ChatGPT: I'm sorry, I cannot find personal information on individuals as it would be a violation of their privacy. Terry Porter was a referee in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, but I do not have any information on his current whereabouts or occupation.

Advertisement
I don't know how many of you are familiar with ChatGPT. Basically, it's an AI chat bot that was trained on a massive amount of text data (videos, articles, websites) which allows it to source its responses from a wide range of knowledge.

I asked it to chime in.

Me: Pretend you're a career football referee who has watched and analyzed film of every college football game taped since the forward pass became legal. Now recall the 2003 Fiesta Bowl where the Miami Hurricanes played against the Ohio State Buckeyes. In the first overtime, there was a controversial pass interference call against Miami cornerback Glenn Sharpe that extended the game and allowed the Buckeyes to eventually win the game in the 2nd overtime. Do you remember the play I'm taking about? If you do, what do you think of the call by referee Terry Porter, who threw the flag for pass interference 5 seconds after the ball had landed on the ground? Be as objective as possible, taking into account reports and opinions by the most well renowned and respected sportswriters at the time along with your professional opinion.

ChatGPT: Yes, I remember the play you're referring to in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl. It was a highly controversial call that sparked a lot of debate and discussion at the time, and it's still talked about to this day.

In my professional opinion as a referee, the call by Terry Porter was highly questionable. It appeared as though Glenn Sharpe had made a clean play on the ball, and there was very little contact with the receiver until after he touched the ball. Furthermore, the flag was thrown five seconds after the ball had landed on the ground, which suggests that the referee may have been influenced by the crowd or the situation of the game.

Many respected sportswriters at the time also criticized the call. For example, ESPN's Mark Schlabach wrote, "It was one of the worst calls in the history of college football." Similarly, Sports Illustrated's Austin Murphy called it a "phantom pass interference call."

Overall, I believe that the call was incorrect and had a significant impact on the outcome of the game. It's a reminder that even in highly competitive and high-pressure situations, officials need to remain objective and make calls based on what they see, rather than the situation or the atmosphere of the game.

Me: Find Terry Porter

ChatGPT: I'm sorry, I cannot find personal information on individuals as it would be a violation of their privacy. Terry Porter was a referee in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, but I do not have any information on his current whereabouts or occupation.
When can we replace the zebras with AI?

Advertisement
Back