20 points...(LONG)

We're going to need to hold the Noles to 10 to win. I don't trust Mark Richt in rivalry/big games.

Here's what Georgia scored vs. Florida when Richt was calling the plays:

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

This is fair criticism. Until Richt proves he can consistently win rivalry games, this is on him. I think he can get it done.

I'm curious, why do you think he gets it done?

Advertisement
We're going to need to hold the Noles to 10 to win. I don't trust Mark Richt in rivalry/big games.

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

Georgia Tech and Auburn should also be considered if you're talking about Georgia's biggest rivalry games. You must've only pointed out Florida because you have an agenda, or you don't really know Georgia's rivals, or both.

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

This is fair criticism. Until Richt proves he can consistently win rivalry games, this is on him. I think he can get it done.

He seems like the type who learns from mistakes. Plus he's got something to prove here. He doubled down on commitment when he donated the mil towards the IPF. He's also shown a willingness to alter his tactics when things aren't working. I could be way wrong and he could totally flop but I'm not feeling it.

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

Look at Richt's record vs. Georgia Tech, Auburn, and Tennessee. UGA's other rivals.

Advertisement

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

He seems like the type who learns from mistakes. Plus he's got something to prove here. He doubled down on commitment when he donated the mil towards the IPF. He's also shown a willingness to alter his tactics when things aren't working. I could be way wrong and he could totally flop but I'm not feeling it.

Valid points but it's going to take more than a great "game plan" to beat FSU. The rest of the team would have to play out of their minds to make up for the QB position. I'm curious what Lu is thinking.

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

I never said blow them out but I said we can beat em 30 to 20 if perry meets expectations

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

Valid points but it's going to take more than a great "game plan" to beat FSU. The rest of the team would have to play out of their minds to make up for the QB position. I'm curious what Lu is thinking.

I'm curious what U are thinking since U know what isn't gonna happen. What is gonna happen versus FSU this season? What's your prediction?

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

FSU no better than Miami gtfoh with dramatics. He lost by 1 point last year with a qb holding the team back and a defense in it's 1st year. Relax.

Advertisement

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

I also think, for the first time in close to a decade, Miami has the better team. I'd say besides quarterback, Miami is better than FSU almost everywhere else.

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

I never said blow them out but I said we can beat em 30 to 20 if perry meets expectations

What are these expectations? Cause I'm pretty sure a 10 point win over fsu is a pretty lofty expectation. A win like that and CIS will be wall to wall NC threads.

IMO, trying to run a RPO against FSU would be a mistake.

Our DL played great in last year's FSU game, but so did theirs. No reason to believe that changes for either team.

Freshman on the road, we can expect a heavy dose of Walton. I think we will also see a lot of max protect passes.

How effective max protect will be against FSU, I don't know. They have two all-American caliber players in the secondary. However, I did hear Herbie ragging on the CB (who eventually picked off kaaya in the end zone), saying he was beat a lot of time last year. I don't know enough about him or D James to really comment.

But the caliber of those secondary players aside, it seems we have good enough playmakers outside to run 2 WR patterns. We want to keep Kosi upright with all his teeth. Move the chains, slow the game down, play defense.

IMO, RPO with Kosi on the road is getting too cute and would be a big mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little more on RPO against FSU...

Kosi won't really have seen D1 game speed yet. FSU dline will be in our backfield all day, if last year is any indication.

The decision to run or pass needs to be made in an instant. I don't trust the pre-snap read of a true freshman in this kind of scenario. I also don't trust the exchange between the QB and RB (which could lead to turnovers).

It'll be absolutely key to avoid sacks, to keep us out of 2nd/3rd and long situations. It's going to be loud in there, and Kosi will have had one month to learn the playbook, let alone the signals, audibles, and all that other isht you need to have mastered to play in front of 80,000 on the road.

In general, I'm in the camp that says, if you're gonna play a FR QB, then treat him like a SR and open up the playbook; or else play someone else. But this is a game where we DO need to go into a shell. Walton should have 30 carries, Kosi should throw less than 18-20 times. Move the chains, keep their defense on the field, avoid mistakes, and hope we finally catch a break.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Kosi won't really have seen D1 game speed yet. FSU dline will be in our backfield all day, if last year is any indication.

The decision to run or pass needs to be made in an instant. I don't trust the pre-snap read of a true freshman in this kind of scenario. I also don't trust the exchange between the QB and RB (which could lead to turnovers).

It'll be absolutely key to avoid sacks, to keep us out of 2nd/3rd and long situations. It's going to be loud in there, and Kosi will have had one month to learn the playbook, let alone the signals, audibles, and all that other isht you need to have mastered to play in front of 80,000 on the road.

In general, I'm in the camp that says, if you're gonna play a FR QB, then treat him like a SR and open up the playbook; or else play someone else. But this is a game where we DO need to go into a shell. Walton should have 30 carries, Kosi should throw less than 18-20 times. Move the chains, keep their defense on the field, avoid mistakes, and hope we finally catch a break.

What about running the RPO with Rosier?

What about running the RPO with Rosier?

Fair enough question, and I would feel more comfortable incorporating parts of the RPO if Rosier is the guy.

But my main point remains the same. UM/FSU is always a knockdown, dragout battle, like two heavyweight fighters who feel each other out for the first few rounds of the fight.

We need to win the field position battle by getting first downs, and rely on our defense to win this game.

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

I'm completely failing to see the logic here.

Georgia was ranked in the Top 5 coming into the 02, 03, and 05 games vs. Florida. Georgia failed to score 14 pts in any of those games.

In our biggest games last year - FSU, UNC, VT - we put up 19, 13, 16

Richt coached teams (specifically the offense), have a long history of coming up short in their biggest games.

It's a new year, new team, we're due, and FSU doesn't have Dalvin Cook to single-handedly beat us anymore. All that's in our favor. But I don't trust Richt's track record in these type of games.

WVU? Why not include them? They were ranked higher than all those teams when we played them.

Nice try, though.

Next time, include all of the relevant information. Leaving out the highest ranked opponent we beat last year is pretty dense. Especially since it can be argued that the bowl game, was our biggest game, with the possible exception of FSU.

WVU was a big game for us, no question. They were a ranked team, we hadn't won a bowl game since 2006, and it capped off a strong finish to the year.

I can see the argument that WVU was a more important game than UNC this year.

FSU/UNC/VT - IMO, are bigger games because they're conference games against teams we play every year. That makes them more important, and more of a "rivalry".

I think anyone would trade a win over WVU for a win over FSU.

If we had beat VT this year, we would have won the ACC Coastal. So FSU & VT were definitely a bigger games for us this past year.

Advertisement

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

Georgia Tech and Auburn should also be considered if you're talking about Georgia's biggest rivalry games. You must've only pointed out Florida because you have an agenda, or you don't really know Georgia's rivals, or both.

I lived in Atlanta for 4 years, and here's my takeaway on how Georgia fans see their rivals:

Florida - this is the game they want to win the most, mostly because Florida historically owns them.
GT - they would hate to lose this game, but always expect to win. They own GT, so it's more like an annoying little brother that they don't take seriously.
Auburn, South Carolina, Tenn - All pretty even in terms of a "rivalry".
Kentucky, Vandy, Missouri - All in the SEC East, but no one would consider these a Georgia "rival".

So lets take a look at these 5 Teams - Auburn, GT, Florida, SC, Tenn. The title of this thread is "20 points", so lets use that as barometer:

- Georgia scored 18 points or less against 3 out 5 of these teams in 01, 02, 04, 05, 06 - 5 out of 6 times.

Look at the 2002 Georgia team that went 13-1 overall, and 4-1 in these games:

SC - Won 13-7
Tenn - Won 18-13
FL - Lost 13-20
Aub - Won 24-21
GT - Won 51-7

My original statement was - We're going to need to hold the Noles to 10 to win. I don't trust Mark Richt in rivalry/big games.

I think we can beat FSU - but I think it's MUCH more likely we win something like 13-10 than Richt puts a great offensive gameplan together and we win a 31-30 shootout.

IMO - our defense is much more likely to get us the win, not our offense.

Last edited:
Do we have a choice though? Without a proven QB that doesn't have kaayas throwing ability? Maybe sheriffs does, but if he lacks confidence and can't make the throws what good is his arm (not saying that's the case). I don't think we'll be throwing as much with Kaaya gone and although they haven't covered throw game great, we also haven't been able to beat them with it. Defense has to win us one.

You run a diverse offense. If your QB can't do that, then you dump him and put in one until you find one who can.

If you have no viable throw game, FSU will destroy you. They've got athletes that will eat that **** up playing downhill on you. Walton couldn't run it last year against them even with Kaaya.

I agree with that for last year but this year we need a basic offense

Last year: We ran the RPO offense with an slow as fûck qb. They can blitz right up the middle and stuff the run every time because they know kaaya can't run on the outside. Because of that we get sacked and we can't establish the run so we need huge plays. Last year we should have run a diverse offense.

This year:

We will run RPO but perry is perfect for RPO kinda like deshaun watson/bridgewater.

The defense will have to run qb containments on defense and that will leave huge holes for walton to run.

If walton plays like he did in the scrimmage he will average like 6.5 yards a carry vs them if perry makes good decisions.

When we do this we march up the field a bit and we start to thrown screen passes/easy completions to playmaking receivers like richards thomas or herndon.

They will make big plays. Watch the app state game. When we establish the run like we did against them then it opens quick passes to receivers and allows us to have a diverse offense.

If perry can run well and make good decisions in the rpo I legitimately think we will beat fsu like 30-20 because of the holes a mobile qb and a good line will create.

Very, very good premise in general. Whether it's Rosier or Perry (or even Shirreffs who can run as well), they may not be Deshaun Watson, but we HAVE to force FSU to respect the QB's running ability. Their defense will be probably even more stout in 2017, so I think using that aspect to open up the defense will be our best chance of moving the ball and scoring. Our defense will be very good as well, but still think we'll need to put 20+ on the board in order to win.

Yup all we need is good line, establish the run, mobile qb, and make easy throws to playmakers. If we do this we win and add in some special teams plays/td from jeff thomas and it will b in the bag. I think we will score 30 with perry

This.

In my opinion, a big play on special teams or a defensive TD will be the difference in the game. Simply put, if the defense scores we win.

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

I lived in Atlanta for 4 years, and here's my takeaway on how Georgia fans see their rivals:

Florida - this is the game they want to win the most, mostly because Florida historically owns them.
GT - they would hate to lose this game, but always expect to win. They own GT, so it's more like an annoying little brother that they don't take seriously.
Kentucky, Vandy, Missouri - All in the SEC East, but no one would consider these a Georgia "rival".

So lets take a look at these 5 Teams - Auburn, GT, Florida, SC, Tenn. The title of this thread is "20 points", so lets use that as barometer:

- Georgia scored 18 points or less against 3 out 5 of these teams in 01, 02, 04, 05, 06 - 5 out of 6 times.

SC - Won 13-7
Tenn - Won 18-13
FL - Lost 13-20
Aub - Won 24-21
GT - Won 51-7

My original statement was - We're going to need to hold the Noles to 10 to win. I don't trust Mark Richt in rivalry/big games.

I think we can beat FSU - but I think it's MUCH more likely we win something like 13-10 than Richt puts a great offensive gameplan together and we win a 31-30 shootout.

Yikes. That's depressing. If Miami has to hold FSU to 14 or less to win, we are in deep ****. That's not happening.

01 - 10
02 - 13
03 - 13
04 - 31
05 - 10
06 - 14

Yikes

SC - Won 13-7
Tenn - Won 18-13
FL - Lost 13-20
Aub - Won 24-21
GT - Won 51-7

Yikes. That's depressing. If Miami has to hold FSU to 14 or less to win, we are in deep ****. That's not happening.

Miami held them to 20 last season with Cook..what offensive weapons do you see them torching us with? They lost their best one and our D will be even better.

Advertisement
Back