2 simple questions you need to ask yourself as we come to the close of year one of Manny

You do realize Miami lost to a HS caliber team in GT right?

Lost to an abysmal VT team.

Manuela has shown ZERO that he is the leader who can take the Canes to an ACCCD Title, let alone beyond.

Looking at VT now how are they abysmal
Everyone was sucking off Wake coach and VT crushed them, lost to ND by a point

we should have beaten them regardless but to say they are abysmal is stupid

GT is abysmal

Advertisement
THIS x 1000......Manny is TERRIBLE with people. This is my biggest concern.
What is that based on? A couple disgruntled family members? Other than a tiny handful of kids, most of which were unhappy before Manny even was our HC, the players on our team seem to absolutely love him. Ask Shaq Quarterman how Manny is with people.

How many times do we hear next year before another letdown. Yes I have seen some improvement but do it for a full season before I believe. Been down this path too many times for me to get excited before it happens anymore
It's hard to be a fan and not get excited. It's also hard to face the reality that we've seen optimism get crushed far too many times.

We have the expectations we do because it's happened before.

What is that based on? A couple disgruntled family members? Other than a tiny handful of kids, most of which were unhappy before Manny even was our HC, the players on our team seem to absolutely love him. Ask Shaq Quarterman how Manny is with people.

So you think that Manny is a people person now, because on a Senior Tribute video Shaq said nice things about his coach? LMAO

You do realize Miami lost to a HS caliber team in GT right?

Lost to an abysmal VT team.

Manuela has shown ZERO that he is the leader who can take the Canes to an ACCCD Title, let alone beyond.

For all on the negative train here, where am I wrong?

I'm open to listening to a coherent argument.

Check my posts. I said early and often "In Manolo we trust, until we don't".

4th and 17, losses to VT, and a HS squad (GT) with BARELY beating CMU has broken that trust--and it is highly likely never to be regained. My assessment is he just doesn't have it.

Just curious, all the new second coming Manuela supporters (some/most were calling for his head just a few weeks ago), what has changed that leads you to believe Manuela is going to take JUST an ACCCD title?

Are you advocating for 7-year Dabo-esque patience?

STRANAHAN could probably beat GT, if not give them a scare.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Miami had a competent HC, they would be headed to Charlotte.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

They barely beat CMU.

This team LOST to GT.

A squad that THIS SEASON is incorporating the concept of FORWARD PASSES.

Let that sink in.
IF we had a KICKER..........let that sink in.........GT and VT...
what would be our record, and this thread would be totally different.

So you think that Manny is a people person now, because on a Senior Tribute video Shaq said nice things about his coach? LMAO
Cute sensational post, bud, but that's not what I said at all. You said "Manny is TERRIBLE with people"; your quote, not mine. I asked you what that's based on as the only evidence I've ever heard in that vein are from a few family members whining that their kids aren't getting PT and that the staff's communication about it hasn't met their standards. I've yet to hear a single player on our team other than from that group say one bad thing about Manny. On the contrary, I've heard many players, not just Shaq, espouse their love for the man.

So I ask you again... what do you base the comment "Manny is TERRIBLE with people" on? That's a **** of a broad statement.

Last edited:
IF we had a KICKER..........let that sink in.........GT and VT...
what would be our record, and this thread would be totally different.

Just so I have this correct...Miami needs to rely on a FG kicker to beat a floundering VT and a HIGH SCHOOL squad that still hasnt mastered the forward pass?

Does that not give you great pause that there are real structural problems with the program?

CMU had an opportunity to win the game at the end.

CMU could have had a game winning drive.

And Manuela is still the right HC?

I don't see it or a single coherent argument to the contrary.

PS...Richt led Miami to 10 straight wins...how did that wotk out for him? He had the same "game of inches" ball bounces his way that also masked real and troubling problems.

Looking at VT now how are they abysmal
Everyone was sucking off Wake coach and VT crushed them, lost to ND by a point

we should have beaten them regardless but to say they are abysmal is stupid

GT is abysmal
The GT game is somewhat of an outlier. Jarren was hurt, threw 3 picks, ST TD, and they only scored 14 after going up 28-0. We scored 35 on them and had a chance to tie late. Should have beat VT but they're not as bad as most thought.

The thing I'm most impressed with is the guys haven't given up. They've continued to play hard and even improved from game to game. If they laid down and gave up, that would be a huge red flag. Are there issues that still need to be addressed? No doubt. But at the very least, we're seeing improvement and still playing hard and that's a plus.

Advertisement
The GT game is somewhat of an outlier. Jarren was hurt, threw 3 picks, ST TD, and they only scored 14 after going up 28-0. We scored 35 on them and had a chance to tie late. Should have beat VT but they're not as bad as most thought.

The thing I'm most impressed with is the guys haven't given up. They've continued to play hard and even improved from game to game. If they laid down and gave up, that would be a huge red flag. Are there issues that still need to be addressed? No doubt. But at the very least, we're seeing improvement and still playing hard and that's a plus.

Can someone dig up all the "Golden needs more time" threads.

Just insert Diaz for Golden, and these posts are word for word lately.

THIS x 1000......Manny is TERRIBLE with people. This is my biggest concern.

So this has nagged at me for some time. I've been often critical of Manny's recruiting over the years - lack of visible/notable presence on recruiting trails, offering some kids too late, etc., but this is the first I hear of him being "terrible" with people. Do you mean to recruits, current offensive vs defensive players on roster, players' families, etc?I suspect you'd get a slightly different answer for these groups.

Just so I have this correct...Miami needs to rely on a FG kicker to beat a floundering VT and a HIGH SCHOOL squad that still hasnt mastered the forward pass?

Does that not give you great pause that there are real structural problems with the program?

CMU had an opportunity to win the game at the end.

CMU could have had a game winning drive.

And Manuela is still the right HC?

I don't see it or a single coherent argument to the contrary.

PS...Richt led Miami to 10 straight wins...how did that wotk out for him? He had the same "game of inches" ball bounces his way that also masked real and troubling problems.
No problem with your premise, but football is a game of inches and kicks. To indict a Coach, and staff due to inches missed by a kicker is not valid because we as fans are all depending on "team consistency " for wins....This does not happen in College football.
Any team may lose at any time, so the CMU analogy could be applied to the two losses to VT and GT in our favor..We had the opportunity to win both games.
A more valid comparo would be Manny against other 1 st year HC's.

1. Will Manny hire one or two GREAT recruiters to the staff?
2. Will Manny address the kicker position as quickly and effectively as we did with the punter position?
3. Will Manny's staff be able to recruit, sign, and develop better OLs?

Address those 3 questions and we are good.
1. Nope.
2. Yes.
3. Nope on the recruit and sign part. Possibly on the develop part.

I'm not so sure the team has turned a corner. We came from behind against an uneven Pitt team, then we dominated maybe the worse FSU team of the last 30 years, and beat up on a UL team that gets routinely gets 40 points dropped on em. Now we're playing FIU and Duke.

The Bowl Game will tell us everything we need to know about who this team truly is. I will say that at least we're winning the games we're supposed to win now, so that's a positive trend.

Advertisement
Can someone dig up all the "Golden needs more time" threads.

Just insert Diaz for Golden, and these posts are word for word lately.
No where in my post did I state that Diaz needed more time. As a matter of fact, his name is not even mentioned. My post was intended to point out a positive aspect about the players not giving up and obviously improving over the last few games. Not seeing improvement and them giving up would warrant extreme criticism. As I mentioned, are there still issues that need to be addressed? No doubt. Time will tell soon enough if issues are addressed or not.

No problem with your premise, but football is a game of inches and kicks. To indict a Coach, and staff due to inches missed by a kicker is not valid because we as fans are all depending on "team consistency " for wins....This does not happen in College football.
Any team may lose at any time, so the CMU analogy could be applied to the two losses to VT and GT in our favor..We had the opportunity to win both games.
A more valid comparo would be Manny against other 1 st year HC's.

CanesD...I just respectfully disagree.

It's a structural problem with a Manuela led Hurricanes squad that all the badness that has happened....keeps happening.

Even in FSU and Louisville wins....HUGE catastrophic plays continue. Thankfully both those squads are more inept than Miami, but it still a problem. Huge problem.

I will be the first in line to take my well deserved Rev Lee beating (Tate is the MAN!) if Manuela salvages recruiting (another looming fail) and just even has Miami in the conversation for an ACCCD Title by this time next year.

I suspect neither will happen.

No where in my post did I state that Diaz needed more time. As a matter of fact, his name is not even mentioned. My post was intended to point out a positive aspect about the players not giving up and obviously improving over the last few games. Not seeing improvement and them giving up would warrant extreme criticism. As I mentioned, are there still issues that need to be addressed? No doubt. Time will tell soon enough if issues are addressed or not.

I didnt say you did....the words, amongst many others here, bear striking similarities in theme is all I'm pointing out.

Advertisement
I didnt say you did....the words, amongst many others here, bear striking similarities in theme is all I'm pointing out.
I get it. Honestly, I'm not an optimistic person by nature. More of a realist. That being said, I do like to acknowledge positive things when I see them. Whether Diaz or someone else was the HC, I'm impressed with the guys not giving up when the season didn't go as hoped. Whether or not the coaches had a major roll in that is immaterial because the players are the ones that had to make the ultimate decision to keep improving and not give up.

I think you guys need to step back and look at where we we're heading the day before Richt left. We wouldn't be going bowling that's for **** sure

That’s not the standard here and if it is help us all.

But even Manny said his expectations were higher. He was hired because the assumption was he would fix the offense while maintaining the defense.

The defense has been mostly good but offense is no different.

According to Manny’s own goals he laid out it’s been a rough year.

If we finish strong and beat a quality opponent in the bowl game. That will go a long way to building confidence in the regime but major red flags won’t be answered until we see more next year.

- Is this team better now than it was 1 year ago?
- Do you see improvement ?

BL- I feel much better about this team now then I did at the close of last year. We started Youth all over the field minus the LBs and now in week 10, those players are starting to look like the team we expected at the beginning of the year..

Yes, the year got derailed with the early loses, but who expected Bubba Baxa to implode, plus honestly this team lacked a few "Refuse to Lose" leaders. I think the staff took a while to adjust to the personel, but they have and this team just had to learn to win.

Looking ahead
You now have 10 of 11 starters (maybe 9 if DJ leaves) coming back on Offense with a QB ranked in the top 10 of CFB in a lot of categories.
you have a young OL that is returning the entire 2-deep and has shown much improvement over the beginning of the year.

On defense you are replacing 3 and 1/2 starters (bethel, Hill and whole DL rotates a lot)
Yes the LBs + Striker are graduating, but bringing back a 5th year McCLoud stabilizes the position some and frierson has played at the striker which really means that out of 11 on defense only 1 LB will be inexperienced.

There were and still may be some growing pains with Manny as HC, but if they finish strong as expected next year looks like a year of real growth.

We will have a two deep at every position offense and defense. We about to destroy muthaphukcas

1. Will Manny hire one or two GREAT recruiters to the staff?
2. Will Manny address the kicker position as quickly and effectively as we did with the punter position?
3. Will Manny's staff be able to recruit, sign, and develop better OLs?

Address those 3 questions and we are good.
Nailed it.

Advertisement
Back