2 simple questions you need to ask yourself as we come to the close of year one of Manny

1. Will Manny hire one or two GREAT recruiters to the staff?
2. Will Manny address the kicker position as quickly and effectively as we did with the punter position?
3. Will Manny's staff be able to recruit, sign, and develop better OLs?

Address those 3 questions and we are good.

Advertisement
Definitely will be pleased with 8-4 IF we get there (and that is not a given).

That being said...we bet two very pedestrian teams and a decent PITT team for these warm and fuzzy feelings..so I really don’t feel we’ve accomplished anything yet.
I think you got throw Virginia in there, I don’t think their pedestrian.

Advertisement
These next two games will speak volumes.

You mean just the Duke game right? FIU is not a measuring stick of anything. If we beat them 70-0 or 35-31, it means nothing. Now Duke is what I am waiting for. That game will definitely speak volumes.

I think you guys need to step back and look at where we we're heading the day before Richt left. We wouldn't be going bowling that's for **** sure

Beat a good team in the bowl game. Other then beating FSU this season is a failure. imo beating bad teams is not turning the corner. Start beating good teams.

You mean just the Duke game right? FIU is not a measuring stick of anything. If we beat them 70-0 or 35-31, it means nothing. Now Duke is what I am waiting for. That game will definitely speak volumes.
Disagree. Yes, the Duke game is much more important, but if we go out and have another CMU-like performance vs FIU that will speak volumes as well and not in a good way. I want to see us rout FIU like Miami should, beat Duke soundly, and then get a W vs a worthy opponent in our bowl game. We do those 3 things and I personally will be very satisfied with the progress of this team since the GT debacle.

Advertisement
We are in a better position then we were this time last year. That is just a fact. Now does that mean we should throw a party? No.

I am encouraged at how Manny was able to rally these kids and still get them to play for him at the lowest point of this season after that GT loss. That was impressive because I don't remember any UM coach being able to do that since Butch. Whenever a UM team gets too low, it is impossible to get them to keep playing. Golden, Shannon and Coker couldn't do it..Richt did it once in 2016.

In sports, its not how you start, its how you finish. Finishing a season strong can give a steroid boost to your program. Just like finishing a season on a losing streak can destroy it.

IF Manny can get these kids to 9-4 going into the Spring, we will have something here. Things could get really interesting. And fast!

Disagree. Yes, the Duke game is much more important, but if we go out and have another CMU-like performance vs FIU that will speak volumes as well and not in a good way. I want to see us route FIU like Miami should, beat Duke soundly, and then get a W vs a worthy opponent in our bowl game. We do those 3 things and I personally will be very satisfied with the progress of this team since the GT debacle.

You know Manny and this team is in a lose-lose situation with that FIU game. If they win 63-0 the posters on here will say "Who gives a *****? Its FIU. They suck. Means NOTHING."...if they win 35-31, "Manny just isn't the guy. Butch has his number. Team isn't focused. Nothing has changed around Greentree."..That is why I am not counting that game. The team no matter the outcome wont be able to satisfy the fans either way. Just win the **** game and lets move on to Duke.

If we had Hedley last year, we would've won 4 or 5 more games.

Putting the opposing teams offense at the 50 or better was infuriating.

Advertisement
A lot of past teams would’ve packed it in after VT most likely. This team came together and like we are all seeing really making strides. The off-season will be important for players but also coaches. Do the look in the mirror and make the adjustments needed to go forward.

You do realize Miami lost to a HS caliber team in GT right?

Lost to an abysmal VT team.

Manuela has shown ZERO that he is the leader who can take the Canes to an ACCCD Title, let alone beyond.

and that's your opinion, but to act as though you know, without question, about his ability after this much time is laughable. You must be a fun guy to work with.

Advertisement
I'm mostly concerned with recruiting from a long-term perspective. It doesn't seem like any of the coaches are especially good at it. Fields was supposedly a stud but I haven't been overly impressed. Say what you want about the last offensive staff, but those guys could recruit pretty **** well.

You do realize Miami lost to a HS caliber team in GT right?

Lost to an abysmal VT team.

Manuela has shown ZERO that he is the leader who can take the Canes to an ACCCD Title, let alone beyond.

Your hyperbole kills your credibility.

Both bad losses but high school level for GT? And for all it’s flaws VT has talent, is 6-3 and is far from abysmal.

I'm mostly concerned with recruiting from a long-term perspective. It doesn't seem like any of the coaches are especially good at it. Fields was supposedly a stud but I haven't been overly impressed. Say what you want about the last offensive staff, but those guys could recruit pretty **** well.

THIS x 1000......Manny is TERRIBLE with people. This is my biggest concern.

- Is this team better now than it was 1 year ago?
- Do you see improvement ?

BL- I feel much better about this team now then I did at the close of last year. We started Youth all over the field minus the LBs and now in week 10, those players are starting to look like the team we expected at the beginning of the year..

Yes, the year got derailed with the early loses, but who expected Bubba Baxa to implode, plus honestly this team lacked a few "Refuse to Lose" leaders. I think the staff took a while to adjust to the personel, but they have and this team just had to learn to win.

Looking ahead
You now have 10 of 11 starters (maybe 9 if DJ leaves) coming back on Offense with a QB ranked in the top 10 of CFB in a lot of categories.
you have a young OL that is returning the entire 2-deep and has shown much improvement over the beginning of the year.

On defense you are replacing 3 and 1/2 starters (bethel, Hill and whole DL rotates a lot)
Yes the LBs + Striker are graduating, but bringing back a 5th year McCLoud stabilizes the position some and frierson has played at the striker which really means that out of 11 on defense only 1 LB will be inexperienced.

There were and still may be some growing pains with Manny as HC, but if they finish strong as expected next year looks like a year of real growth.

Is this team better now than it was 1 year ago? As far as toughness and not giving up yes.
- Do you see improvement- the last 2 weeks yes prior to that no

Advertisement
Back