2 simple questions you need to ask yourself as we come to the close of year one of Manny

- Is this team better now than it was 1 year ago?
- Do you see improvement ?

BL- I feel much better about this team now then I did at the close of last year. We started Youth all over the field minus the LBs and now in week 10, those players are starting to look like the team we expected at the beginning of the year..

Yes, the year got derailed with the early loses, but who expected Bubba Baxa to implode, plus honestly this team lacked a few "Refuse to Lose" leaders. I think the staff took a while to adjust to the personel, but they have and this team just had to learn to win.

Looking ahead
You now have 10 of 11 starters (maybe 9 if DJ leaves) coming back on Offense with a QB ranked in the top 10 of CFB in a lot of categories.
you have a young OL that is returning the entire 2-deep and has shown much improvement over the beginning of the year.

On defense you are replacing 3 and 1/2 starters (bethel, Hill and whole DL rotates a lot)
Yes the LBs + Striker are graduating, but bringing back a 5th year McCLoud stabilizes the position some and frierson has played at the striker which really means that out of 11 on defense only 1 LB will be inexperienced.

There were and still may be some growing pains with Manny as HC, but if they finish strong as expected next year looks like a year of real growth.

Advertisement
- Is this team better now than it was 1 year ago?
- Do you see improvement ?

BL- I feel much better about this team now then I did at the close of last year. We started Youth all over the field minus the LBs and now in week 10, those players are starting to look like the team we expected at the beginning of the year..

Yes, the year got derailed with the early loses, but who expected Bubba Baxa to implode, plus honestly this team lacked a few "Refuse to Lose" leaders. I think the staff took a while to adjust to the personel, but they have and this team just had to learn to win.

Looking ahead
You now have 10 of 11 starters (maybe 9 if DJ leaves) coming back on Offense with a QB ranked in the top 10 of CFB in a lot of categories.
you have a young OL that is returning the entire 2-deep and has shown much improvement over the beginning of the year.

On defense you are replacing 3 and 1/2 starters (bethel, Hill and whole DL rotates a lot)
Yes the LBs + Striker are graduating, but bringing back a 5th year McCLoud stabilizes the position some and frierson has played at the striker which really means that out of 11 on defense only 1 LB will be inexperienced.

There were and still may be some growing pains with Manny as HC, but if they finish strong as expected next year looks like a year of real growth.

At the begining of the year i would say we looked worse on the offenive line and had taken a step back on defense. Which i kind of get due to the new coaching regime and loss of some key leaders (Willis, Jaquan)

But as the season has progressed the team looked to improve in these areas and i personally think the players and coaches have hit their stride, which is a positive seeing how bad the start was. (Manny could have lost the team).

As many have stated on here we need to finish strong in all three facets of the remaimder of our games and show consistency to take momentum into recruiting season and next year.

I do agree with the positivitey surrounding the numbers returning next year, but there is alot of time between now and kickoff next year and alot couldn happen to hamper those optomistic numbers (players going pro early, transfers,etc). But if things work out as you desribed then our main focus should be continuing to build depth so we are not in the same position we were this year (mainly offensive line). I would also add that i would like to see the coninued growth of this staff as well (so they put us in a better position to win like they have now versus what they were doing at the begining of the year).

Solid post Op

Go Canes!!!!

Last edited:
I will be believe it when I see it.

No I’m not some overly skeptical person. But the last 3 coaches all showed promise during an outlier season. Where the rhetoric was “the team got better we will be back next year if we just fix a few minor things”. Even though their were glaring concerns about their abilities. Manny has not out performed expectations so until proven otherwise it will be the status quo which is a wildly inconsistent team that could be beat the best teams they play and lose to the worst team they play.

And those things never ever got fixed. I like Manny but he got some major red flags so far.

Recruiting if you’ve been following this year this needs no explanation. He didn’t even get the 1st year bump...or at least we’re hoping because if this is the bump we are in trouble next year.

personnel decisions: jimmy murphy more carriers than lo Lingard, and Robert burns, playing a walk-in Lb over a scholarship play in a conference game that you lose to a 1-win team, general unrest amongst players about the rotations, not starting Roussou sooner because of a “bad camp” Even though everyone could see he was dominating every snap he played, starting 2 freshman tackles.

Offense: the points are nice but the statistics show that it’s more of a by product of the bad defenses we’ve played. 3rd down and rushing stats are some of the worst in CFB. If will be almost impossible for us to compete at a high level with stats like that.

My BL: I will believe in growth where and I see tangible growth like penalty improvement and presnap improvement. We’ve def. improved in those areas. I canT remember the last time we got a false start or an illegal formation.

We've absolutely looked better across the board from what we did early this season, but still a lot of work left to do.

No coach, especially Manny, should be patting themselves on the back right now cause every unit-offense, defense and special teams-has cost us games this year. And we still have to see what they do on the recruiting trail.

Overall I'm encouraged but cautious.

Advertisement
I don't think anyone saw a 4-4 start. I also think the offensive line was a lot more fragile than we realized at the end of last year.

How the recruiting goes this year will tell us a lot, especially if they get some good people at positions where we're weak.

More important questions:

1. How quickly will Blake be relieved?
2. How quickly will Diaz be relieved?
3. How quickly will new AD (assuming competence) find the right HC?
4. How quickly will new HC be able to lead Miami to unqualified ACCCD title?
5. How quickly will new HC be able to lead Miami to ACCCG W?

Advertisement
1573733243053.png

We've absolutely looked better across the board from what we did early this season, but still a lot of work left to do.

No coach, especially Manny, should be patting themselves on the back right now cause every unit-offense, defense and special teams-has cost us games this year. And we still have to see what they do on the recruiting trail.

Overall I'm encouraged but cautious.

Solid take. I agree

Advertisement
I fell better now than I did, but to think all we needed was a stop on 4th-17, and a made FG to be two games better is really frustrating.

IMO it's all how they finish now, FIU is a crap team and we should grind them to dust, Duke can play and will be a stiffer test, but we should still handle them, win a bowl game and then we've made serious progress.

LB play is a serious concern for the beginning of next season not only because of inexperience but because Patke is their coach and i dont have confidence in him

Patke is the strikers coach.. AKA the best player on the field not named Greg. Baker is the Inside Linebackers coach.

I fell better now than I did, but to think all we needed was a stop on 4th-17, and a made FG to be two games better is really frustrating.

IMO it's all how they finish now, FIU is a crap team and we should grind them to dust, Duke can play and will be a stiffer test, but we should still handle them, win a bowl game and then we've made serious progress.

You do realize Miami lost to a HS caliber team in GT right?

Lost to an abysmal VT team.

Manuela has shown ZERO that he is the leader who can take the Canes to an ACCCD Title, let alone beyond.

Advertisement
Again, with the weak *** SOS 8-4 was the floor, right? Florida is 10th in SP+, after that UVA is 42nd, UNC 49, Pitt 50, FSU 51, VT 52, L'ville 60, Duke 61, CMU 97, GT 99, FIU 100, and a really bad FCS team.

When looking back over the year to date:

Basically we still can't seem to consistently win the games that we should win.

Even games where we have significant talent advantages sometimes we've been simply outplayed. This was especially disconcerting because a couple came after bye weeks.....That points directly to coaching.

Similarly, many of the coaching adjustments ( move to shotgun) & personnel changes (Baxa) that needed to be made were stubbornly maintained.

Are we better off? .......YES/NO Depends on which team shows up

Do I see improvement? YES we have improved...and can continue to improve....as long as our coaches don't get lax and complacent again we can significantly improve.
There's plenty of reasons for optimism.....but there remains plenty of reasons for concern

How will we do next year? I wouldn't bet against us...and I wouldn't bet on us,.....Because who in the F*ck knows which team will show up

Last edited:
If we had a kicking game from the get go, we’d be punching our ticket to Charlotte now.

If Miami had a competent HC, they would be headed to Charlotte.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

They barely beat CMU.

This team LOST to GT.

A squad that THIS SEASON is incorporating the concept of FORWARD PASSES.

Let that sink in.

Advertisement
Back