2/21/24 Game 5: UCF 3-1 L

Losing an early season 1-run midweek game to an in-state opponent isn't the end of the world.

Are there some concerning things? Yes. I think the things that limited us aren't fixable this season alone...maybe some guys improve as the season rolls along, but part of it is just needing more talent past the 3 frontline starting pitchers. Two things can be true at once - Chestnutt pitched a good game despite stats, and he tosses soft enough that we probably should upgrade from him. I think both things are fair to say and doesn't overtake the other. Caba struggled, plain and simple. I mean literally his first pitch going wild was the beginning of the end last night. We never overcame it, and UCF held us off.

That's why the mental part of this game is so massive. There's 2 parts to it: one, stay focused so you limit mistakes. Two, when mistakes to happen (because they will in baseball), don't let them compound each other - limit the damage.

Find the happy medium folks - don't let the NJIT fool's gold get you too high, and don't let a 1-run midweek loss to UCF get you too low. Now - if we look like dogsh1t against LIU and/or FGCU and don't have any momentum going into the homestand against UF next weekend...find that panic button. If we struggle this week against LIU/FGCU and end up looking completely overmatched against UF - smash that sum'*****.

For me though? I'm expecting us to miss the postseason w/this roster. I expected that even w/the fall ball and preseason updates. My bar is so low for this roster/program right now, if they make a regional, I'll be impressed. There's a lot of work to do - don't fool yourselves. However - there's the bar for this season versus the bar for the overall program. Where we're at right now isn't good enough, but it's not something that can be fixed today.

Advertisement
Why would you put in Caba with the bases loaded?
I’d guess the thinking was that they wanted to bring in an older guy (who had been pitching well) in a messy situation over the freshman, Vargas, who was also warming. As it turns out Vargas probably could’ve handled it.

Also highlights the issue we’re going to have with the guys coming off Tommy John early: the command tends to come and go at the outset of the return. We saw it with Torres two years ago. Last night it went big time, and cost us the game.

Advertisement
I have everything on video breakdown. I love Laz but he got the played by ucf. Caba comes in and throws 7 straight balls, 1st pitch he threw was a wild pitch that allowed a run. Then a 3-2 count and carrier doesn’t dive for the ball. Brother just admit you didn’t watch the game and are a stat looker @Pitcher in the Rye
As a season ticket holder for 15 plus years, I saw most of Chestnut’s appearances last season. That was not “one of his better outings”. You being the insufferable forum apologist makes me think you’re covering up a serious lack of baseball knowledge.

What’s up fellas? I regret to post this, but I have some insider info on Cyr. If you havent heard already, it’s the worst type of “family issue” that you could imagine. He would be fully justified for missing weeks or more. 😔

As someone that played collegiate baseball and worked in scouting departments, I’m completely aware of the situation and the quality (or lack thereof) of arms that were on display last night.

UCF had 22 transfers, I get it. We’re a young team, but boy did we look closer to a middling/bottom-dwelling ACC team than anything remotely competitive. And yes, it’s not fair to completely judge the product until we get three to five weeks into the season. Kids need live reps both on the field, at the plate and on the mound. Velo should increase as the weather warms up and guys should become more comfortable.

I liked Vargas’s stuff, he has good run on his FB that misses barrels and is hard to pick up. He earned himself a look at a more prominent role just from that one appearance imo.

Overall however, I don’t expect more than a .500 record in conference play from what I saw last night, our first game against an average opponent with an entirely new roster.

As a season ticket holder for 15 plus years, I saw most of Chestnut’s appearances last season. That was not “one of his better outings”. You being the insufferable forum apologist makes me think you’re covering up a serious lack of baseball knowledge.
It’s literally the facts…… again you just showed you only looked at the stats… because if you did you would have a rational take like @BWCD there is no one debating that chestnut should not be the midweek starter. But you are putting his ERA out there and then continue to make these statements like they are fact but his performance yesterday was the opposite of what you are writing?

Everyone in here agrees that Vargas is better than chestnut that doesn’t take away the fact that chestnut actually had a good game? If it wasn’t for Caba this would be his stat line

Attachments

• IMG_3107.jpeg
    IMG_3107.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Advertisement
And FYI I am a fan like all of you, I don’t manage this forum. I post baseball content because nobody in canes media or on this page post anything about canes baseball. It’s the harsh truth. Why because all you have to do is just look at the canesinisight form boards. This board has 50% less views than basketball and literally 2x less threads? So I don’t know what you are talking about other people posting threads? The main contributor to this page is @scane

Attachments

• IMG_3199.png
    IMG_3199.png
    283.2 KB · Views: 0
And FYI I am a fan like all of you, I don’t manage this forum. I post baseball content because nobody in canes media or on this page post anything about canes baseball. It’s the harsh truth. Why because all you have to do is just look at the canesinisight form boards. This board has 50% less views than basketball and literally 2x less threads? So I don’t know what you are talking about other people posting threads? The main contributor to this page is @scane
And thank you very much for the info you share with us!! Maybe you should be on the staff ;)

Advertisement
What’s up fellas? I regret to post this, but I have some insider info on Cyr. If you havent heard already, it’s the worst type of “family issue” that you could imagine. He would be fully justified for missing weeks or more. 😔
****....prayers up for the young man. We'll miss his energy and hopefully he can find solace in returning to his brothers on the team whenever he's ready.

It’s literally the facts…… again you just showed you only looked at the stats… because if you did you would have a rational take like @BWCD there is no one debating that chestnut should not be the midweek starter. But you are putting his ERA out there and then continue to make these statements like they are fact but his performance yesterday was the opposite of what you are writing?
It’s “literally the facts”? As opposed to figuratively the facts? What facts did you provide other than it “felt” like he had one of his better outings? It’s ok if you aren’t knowledgeable about baseball. Just be humble and don’t come in here posting like gangbusters when you’ve been outed as nothing more than a cheerleader.

Advertisement
Small but mighty fanbase here on the baseball board. I have said for as long I’ve been on this board that the baseball board is the best board because of people like @scane

We’re here every single pitch of every game… often times *****ing but it’s a fantastic group that knows the game

Small but mighty fanbase here on the baseball board. I have said for as long I’ve been on this board that the baseball board is the best board because of people like @scane

We’re here every single pitch of every game… often times *****ing but it’s a fantastic group that knows the game
Agree, and I think BWCD's previous post is pretty insightful. My hope is that the starting pitching, of which we seem to have a potentially potent weekend group, can carry the team beyond expectations. And I do think this roster will be better developed by the end of the year under this staff, than has been the case for the past 5 - 6 years.

It’s “literally the facts”? As opposed to figuratively the facts? What facts did you provide other than it “felt” like he had one of his better outings? It’s ok if you aren’t knowledgeable about baseball. Just be humble and don’t come in here posting like gangbusters when you’ve been outed as nothing more than a cheerleader.
Brother i have already told you to message me on X or email or where ever so i can send you the proof. The video cannot be posted here because it says the file is to large. My X is @Erickmarrero_, @Canesfreak is in one of my group chats that i have sent the video proof and breakdown of what happened with chestnut.

Advertisement
Back