1st Practice

Advertisement
The Un-Fattening has begun.

Say goodbye to that Big Ten philosophy that haunted us for 5 years.

Time to return to homeostasis and play with the natural speed and athleticism that south Florida athletes are known for.

"LB Jermaine Grace is now listed at 6-feet-1 and 205 pounds on the latest official roster. On last year’s roster, Grace was listed at 6-feet-1 and 221 pounds. Grace is excited about the new defensive scheme because he will be able to blitz more and use his speed.''

I hope this is a Typo.

Why would it be a typo, Coach Golden?

Watch your mouth.

205 is extremely light for LB. Plus, Grace moved great at 220.

One could say that he "moved gracefully".

"LB Jermaine Grace is now listed at 6-feet-1 and 205 pounds on the latest official roster. On last year’s roster, Grace was listed at 6-feet-1 and 221 pounds. Grace is excited about the new defensive scheme because he will be able to blitz more and use his speed.''

I hope this is a Typo.

Watch your mouth.

One could say that he "moved gracefully".

Yes, Gracefully.

Would love to be at every practice! Gotta be exciting to see the guys being properly coached. Keep the practice info coming.

Advertisement

I hope this is a Typo.

Watch your mouth.

Who said he was actually 220 last year? Grace has said it's hard for him to add weight because he is a very picky eater. Then they been doing mat drills and just working out in general and I'm not surprised at his weight.

RB Joseph Yearby is listed five pounds heavier, now up to 207 pounds.

Great, he'll be even slower

News & Notes
• Richt admitted he was still learning his players. All of the players had their names taped to the front and back of their helmets. “I am trying to learn 100 names and little by little I am getting there,” Richt said with a laugh.

• Richt is excited about working with the quarterbacks again and he says he is impressed with the group Miami has on the team at that position. “I am very impressed with the quarterbacks in that they will really work hard and learn what we ask them to learn,” Richt said. “They have a lot of process. Brad did an excellent job. You could tell Brad and the rest of them did a good job of studying the playbook during spring break. I think Brad is a veteran and you can tell he has been around.”

• QB Brad Kaaya admitted that it feels like he is learning his third offense at Miami. Kaaya says he is excited by the attention to detail that Mark Richt has with coaching his quarterback and said his footwork is one thing that Richt likes to focus on.

• The first team offensive line during the drills was: LT Trevor Darling, LG Kc McDermott, C Alex Gall RG Danny Isidora, RT Tyree St. Louis

• The first team defense during the drills was: DE Chad Thomas DT R.J. McIntosh DT Gerald Willis, DE Al-Quadin MuhammadLB Charles Perry, LB Jamie Gordinier, LB Jermaine Grace CB Sheldrick Redwine, S Rayshawn Jenkins, S Jamal Carter, CB Corn Elder.

• DE Al-Quadin Muhammad on what is different about the team now: “Everybody is buying in. I feel like everybody is on the same page. Coach Richt is doing a great job with how he sets everything up. The way he deals with the players and the coaches are dealing with us is one step at a time. It is the beginning and it is only going to get better.”

• Muhammad admitted he is excited about playing in the new defensive scheme. “This defense is beneficial to everyone,” Muhammad said. “We have been working hard and this defense is going to be great. We are going to do some great things. As far as my skill set, it is great for me.”

• WR Stacy Coley on if he was close to declaring early for the NFL Draft: “It was a tough decision, but I sat down with my mom and she told me what she told me and I made my decision off that. We saw where I was going to get drafted and my mom wanted me to get my education. I owe her that respect and we went from there.”

• Coley admitted the practices are more about competition and having fun under Richt. “We are out here competing with one another. Before, we talked trash, but it was limited. Now it is about having fun and competing. We are playing with more swag and going at it on every play.”

• DT Kendrick Norton is excited about the new scheme Miami will be running on their defensive line. “We have a simpler scheme that will allow us to play faster,” Norton said. “It is a one gap defense, so you fire off and get in your gap. He stresses that we need to get off the ball and use your hands. We are all excited about it.”

• OL Kc McDermott says it is hard to tell the difference between the new offensive line coach, Stacy Searels, and Art Kehoe after just one practice. “I would say the biggest difference right now is just the southern accent,” McDermott joked. “They both are intense and they both like to have fun.”

• LB Jermaine Grace is now listed at 6-feet-1 and 205 pounds on the latest official roster. On last year’s roster, Grace was listed at 6-feet-1 and 221 pounds. Grace is excited about the new defensive scheme because he will be able to blitz more and use his speed.

• DE Chad Thomas is now listed at 6-feet-6 and 265 pounds. On last year’s roster he was listed at 6-feet-5 and 275 pounds.

• RB Joseph Yearby is listed five pounds heavier, now up to 207 pounds.

• OL Kc McDermott has trimmed down. He is now listed at 6-feet-7 and 300 pounds. Last season he was listed at 6-feet-6 and 310 pounds.

• OL Danny Isidora is listed 15 pounds lighter since last season. He is now listed at 6-feet-4 and 310 pounds.

• DT Courtel Jenkins has gained nine pounds since last season and is now listed at 6-feet-2 and 320 pounds.

• DT Anthony Moten is listed 18 pounds heavier since last season. He is now listed at 6-feet-4 and 317 pounds.

• The official listed height and weight of the early enrollee freshmen linebackers: Zach McCloud (6-2, 220), Shaquille Quarterman (6-1, 245), and Michael Pinckney (6-1, 215).

• OL Sunny Odogwu was not out at practice.

• RB Gus Edwards was going through drills with the other running backs. Edwards fractured his foot during preseason camp of 2015. “Right now he is full go with no limitations unless something sets him back,” Richt said.

• LB Darrion Owens was the only player working out on the bike. Owens is recovering from a knee injury he sustained during the 2015 season.

Awesome stuff. Thanks.

Go Canes!

Recapping Mark Richt's first practice as Canes coach and eye-opening comments from players rejuvenated by coaching change
Mark Richt ushered in a new era of Hurricanes football on Tuesday, holding a practice that was up-tempo, intense and filled with lots of individual instruction.

“Little bit of butterflies going into Day one,” Richt said, returning to coach his alma mater after 15 years at Georgia. “It was an emotional time. I didn’t sleep hardly at all last night. I didn’t think I would be that way. I got my eyes closed but I couldn’t sleep.

Got to sleep sometimes after midnight. Up at 5. A lot of anticipation. A lot of things running through my mind, making sure all the drills were right.”

But on the day Richt conducted his first full practice as Hurricanes coach, the biggest takeaway was how his players have responded to Richt and this staff.

Yes, they’re still in the honeymoon period, but conversations with several players revealed this roster has been very much rejuvenated by this coaching change, a genuine joy apparent from several of them.

“We embraced it,” defensive end Al Quadin Muhammad said, before raving about Richt.

Enthusiasm is natural with a coaching change, but why to this extent? Let them explain:

• Linebacker Jermaine Grace: “Everyone is having fun. I feel like I’m back in high school, having fun. The coach is letting us play. There’s no yelling and screaming. [In the past], we got a lot of that, yelling and screaming, expecting us to know everything right then and there. It’s just fun. Coach allows the mess ups and we’ll correct it later.”

• Receiver Stacy Coley: “We’re having fun. Last year, we didn’t have fun. Playing with more swag, talking more, going at it every play, even on break. We’re competing, we’re talking trash to each other. We did [talk trash before] but it was limited. We’re
looser. Coach Richt,… everything he said was truthful and he stuck to it. I’m very confident in coach Richt, what he contributed at Georgia and the players he developed into the league, like AJ Green. I’m very confident in him and what he can add to this offense.”

• Offensive lineman Kc McDermott: “The very first thing coach Richt said to us [was] ‘I will treat you like men. If you guys want to be men, act like men, I will treat you like men. If you guys want to act like children, I will treat you like a child, take things away from you, make sure you guys don’t go out.'

“That spoke so much to everybody on this team. We were like, ‘Wow, he considers us grown men.’ He’s not going to come in and say, ‘You have 10 o clock curfew the night before practice.’ You are grown men. You’ve done this before. You know what you got to do. The young guys that just came in, take them under your wing, show them the way. That’s what everyone is doing now. That’s what makes being here so fun right now. There is a sense of they’re treating us like men. There’s no pressure. We can be ourselves.”

In many ways, Muhammad is the embodiment of this roster’s excitement about the change in coaching staffs, partly because he said coordinator Manny Diaz’s new attacking defense, which allows players to play more instinctively, is “beneficial to everyone [and] great for me.”

When he was deciding whether to turn pro, Muhammad met with Richt shortly after he was hired.

“We talked a bout a lot,” Muhammad said. “He’s so relaxed, so straight forward. He sees more in me than I see in myself. What’s better than that? It was a no-brainer [to return]. I love it here."

As for the first practice, Grace confirmed it was more intense and conducted at a faster tempo than early spring practices under Al Golden.

“Everyone adjusted to it,” Grace said.

During the 20 minutes that reporters were permitted to observe practice, Diaz pushed his players hard, having them do up-downs (similar to push ups) immediately before pursuit drills, where they chased down receivers and ball-carriers.

“I expect you to make every play! Got it?” defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski said.

On the adjacent field, Richt stood behind the quarterbacks, watching intently and offering instruction as they threw to receivers.

“I like that a lot,” Richt said, while praising Brad Kaaya’s work in the classroom and on the field Monday. “Coached quarterbacks my whole career. At Georgia, when I turned it over seven, eight years into it, it was different. I stayed far enough away because I know it’s not good to have two cooks in the kitchen.

“I know how important it is to speak the same language and have a lead guy. I missed it and now I’m having a chance to do it
again, not only coaching the QBs but heavily involved in the installation of the offense, calling the offensive plays. It’s going to be fun and a challenge, but that’s kind of what got me here to begin with.”

• Center Nick Linder missed practice with a shoulder injury, and Darrion Owens (knee) and Sonny Odogwu (knee) were limited. Gus Edwards, who missed last season with a foot injury, was full-go, Richt said.

Advertisement
News & Notes
• Richt admitted he was still learning his players. All of the players had their names taped to the front and back of their helmets. “I am trying to learn 100 names and little by little I am getting there,” Richt said with a laugh.

• Richt is excited about working with the quarterbacks again and he says he is impressed with the group Miami has on the team at that position. “I am very impressed with the quarterbacks in that they will really work hard and learn what we ask them to learn,” Richt said. “They have a lot of process. Brad did an excellent job. You could tell Brad and the rest of them did a good job of studying the playbook during spring break. I think Brad is a veteran and you can tell he has been around.”

• QB Brad Kaaya admitted that it feels like he is learning his third offense at Miami. Kaaya says he is excited by the attention to detail that Mark Richt has with coaching his quarterback and said his footwork is one thing that Richt likes to focus on.

• The first team offensive line during the drills was: LT Trevor Darling, LG Kc McDermott, C Alex Gall RG Danny Isidora, RT Tyree St. Louis

• The first team defense during the drills was: DE Chad Thomas DT R.J. McIntosh DT Gerald Willis, DE Al-Quadin MuhammadLB Charles Perry, LB Jamie Gordinier, LB Jermaine Grace CB Sheldrick Redwine, S Rayshawn Jenkins, S Jamal Carter, CB Corn Elder.

• DE Al-Quadin Muhammad on what is different about the team now: “Everybody is buying in. I feel like everybody is on the same page. Coach Richt is doing a great job with how he sets everything up. The way he deals with the players and the coaches are dealing with us is one step at a time. It is the beginning and it is only going to get better.”

• Muhammad admitted he is excited about playing in the new defensive scheme. “This defense is beneficial to everyone,” Muhammad said. “We have been working hard and this defense is going to be great. We are going to do some great things. As far as my skill set, it is great for me.”

• WR Stacy Coley on if he was close to declaring early for the NFL Draft: “It was a tough decision, but I sat down with my mom and she told me what she told me and I made my decision off that. We saw where I was going to get drafted and my mom wanted me to get my education. I owe her that respect and we went from there.”

• Coley admitted the practices are more about competition and having fun under Richt. “We are out here competing with one another. Before, we talked trash, but it was limited. Now it is about having fun and competing. We are playing with more swag and going at it on every play.”

• DT Kendrick Norton is excited about the new scheme Miami will be running on their defensive line. “We have a simpler scheme that will allow us to play faster,” Norton said. “It is a one gap defense, so you fire off and get in your gap. He stresses that we need to get off the ball and use your hands. We are all excited about it.”

• OL Kc McDermott says it is hard to tell the difference between the new offensive line coach, Stacy Searels, and Art Kehoe after just one practice. “I would say the biggest difference right now is just the southern accent,” McDermott joked. “They both are intense and they both like to have fun.”

• LB Jermaine Grace is now listed at 6-feet-1 and 205 pounds on the latest official roster. On last year’s roster, Grace was listed at 6-feet-1 and 221 pounds. Grace is excited about the new defensive scheme because he will be able to blitz more and use his speed.

• DE Chad Thomas is now listed at 6-feet-6 and 265 pounds. On last year’s roster he was listed at 6-feet-5 and 275 pounds.

• RB Joseph Yearby is listed five pounds heavier, now up to 207 pounds.

• OL Kc McDermott has trimmed down. He is now listed at 6-feet-7 and 300 pounds. Last season he was listed at 6-feet-6 and 310 pounds.

• OL Danny Isidora is listed 15 pounds lighter since last season. He is now listed at 6-feet-4 and 310 pounds.

• DT Courtel Jenkins has gained nine pounds since last season and is now listed at 6-feet-2 and 320 pounds.

• DT Anthony Moten is listed 18 pounds heavier since last season. He is now listed at 6-feet-4 and 317 pounds.

• The official listed height and weight of the early enrollee freshmen linebackers: Zach McCloud (6-2, 220), Shaquille Quarterman (6-1, 245), and Michael Pinckney (6-1, 215).

• OL Sunny Odogwu was not out at practice.

• RB Gus Edwards was going through drills with the other running backs. Edwards fractured his foot during preseason camp of 2015. “Right now he is full go with no limitations unless something sets him back,” Richt said.

• LB Darrion Owens was the only player working out on the bike. Owens is recovering from a knee injury he sustained during the 2015 season.

Good stuff.
Glad to see our O-linemen losing weight.

Man, 18 more pounds on Moten.

RJ at DT...like it

"Receiver Stacy Coley: “We’re having fun. Last year, we didn’t have fun. Playing with more swag, talking more, going at it every play, even on break. We’re competing, we’re talking trash to each other. We did [talk trash before] but it was limited. We’re looser."

Savages will be loose

Yearby needs to stop adding weight he is not duke. Duke was much faster than him and when he added the weight he was still a 4.4 guy. Yearby was slow as **** last year and he is up to 207 now.

Advertisement
Richt admitted he was still learning his players. All of the players had their names taped to the front and back of their helmets. “I am trying to learn 100 names and little by little I am getting there,” Richt said with a laugh.

Haaa! Just do it like Ole Bobby did "oh that boy number 4 sure did look good out there today"

Exactly, never understood why Golden would take a kid whose one elite ability is his lateral quickness and try to turn him into a straight north south runner. He needed to put on weight coming out of high school, but he would be fine at 190-195 breaking ankles in open areas and being even more of a mismatch nightmare for LBs.

Advertisement
I like the veteran safeties we got returning...they compliment each other perfectly. Rayshawn is more the playmaker and Carter is the enforcer. I think the entire secondary is going to benefit the most with Coach Kool running the trenches.

Joe Yearby was never fast, but his burst and accelaration is top notch. He's a very good rb that will only get better... BUT IMO Gus Edwards is the freak athlete that could still the show from Kaaya as far as carrying the offense.

Not necessarily true, depends on how he put it on this time. He added bulk too quickly last time a big percentage was prolly water and fat. If done correctly, you can actually get faster in the process gaining weight....Every frame is different, let's just hope his body is mature enough to handle it now.

Advertisement
Back