1st and 2nd string running back?

Advertisement
wow - good news on Homer! Hope to see a lot of him the next few games.

So Homer leapfrogged Walton for the time being?? The kid has really showed up ready to play then. Nice to have the competition at RB running 4 deep.

Advertisement
Walton as 3rd string? Sorry, don't buy it. Maybe it's a motivation tactic from Richt and/or Thomas Brown?

I think it's a little late to be moving guys around just for motivation. Either Walton is banged up or Homer took his lunch.

If Homer is special and elite he should play right away. RBs don't usually improve that much in their ability to run the football. It's one of those spots where you generally are who you are. It wouldn't be like he's leapfrogging Portis and Gore.

Advertisement
Walton as 3rd string? Sorry, don't buy it. Maybe it's a motivation tactic from Richt and/or Thomas Brown?

Why is it so hard to believe that Homer leapfrogged Mark "3.5 YPC and a cloud of dust" Walton??

Walton is out least talented RB by a wide margin, in my opinion. No vision, and no top end speed

My take is it isn't motivational or reflective of the actual depth chart.

They probably want to see what each of the 4 RB's look like running with the 1st and 2nd teams since there's not a lot of separation between the 4.

The first 3 games are basically a glorified scrimmages, so I'd expect each back to get 8-10 carries a game, and the coaches will use these games to shake out the depth chart and decide if they want to Redshirt Homer or not. GT game will show the real depth chart.

I'd predict:

- Homer will redshirt
- Walton will be the starter for the 1st game
- Gus will get the majority of carries once we get into ACC games, and will lead the team in rushing by the end of the year
- We'll basically have a 3 way RBC the whole year. Each will get 100+ carries
- This board's opinion on who our best RB is will rotate weekly

I think we'll see a healthy dose of all four these first couple games.

Whoever guy does his things better more is the one that's going to win...Win the starting tailback spot.

Homer: Trav Homer, tailback.
Yearby: Joe Yearby, *starting* tailback.
Homer: I know, that's why they recruited me.

Advertisement

Whoever guy does his things better more is the one that's going to win...Win the starting tailback spot.

I definitely have agree.

Advertisement
My take is it isn't motivational or reflective of the actual depth chart.

They probably want to see what each of the 4 RB's look like running with the 1st and 2nd teams since there's not a lot of separation between the 4.

The first 3 games are basically a glorified scrimmages, so I'd expect each back to get 8-10 carries a game, and the coaches will use these games to shake out the depth chart and decide if they want to Redshirt Homer or not. GT game will show the real depth chart.

I'd predict:

- Homer will redshirt
- Walton will be the starter for the 1st game
- Gus will get the majority of carries once we get into ACC games, and will lead the team in rushing by the end of the year
- We'll basically have a 3 way RBC the whole year. Each will get 100+ carries
- This board's opinion on who our best RB is will rotate weekly

No way Homer redshirts now with Gray done for the year. If he has the talent to be on the field year one then so be it.

In almost every running back drill that the reporters have posted from practice Travis homer looks the fastest and just looks better in the drills than everyone. Almost looks effortless for him.

the-program-epps-456fp091010.jpg

Advertisement
Back