1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Facts. You don’t just “blow up” as a senior too often even today. That **** is rare. Sure you get offers here and there but your ranking as a prospect is determined long before you even finish most times
Guys 'blow up' as seniors these days just like they always have. That's real life, real kids, same reasons. If the ratings services don't notice or adapt, oh well. There are always going to be kids who grow late, change positions, had injuries, had to wait for their chance, didn't start out in FB early, had grade issues that interfered, etc. Sometimes the bulb just goes off. Likewise, some kids who are seen as top notch as underclassmen don't progress as expected, don't have the drive, don't put in the effort, get injured, etc. All the same type of issues in reverse. Texas is a great example of a program that ***** itself over and over because it thinks prospects are determined in their soph and junior years.

We shouldn't care what the ranking services say. Some kids we target as underclassmen don't improve. And they often get dropped. Happens most years. Other local kids, we should be picking them up when they prove they merit the offer.

Advertisement
Guys 'blow up' as seniors these days just like they always have. That's real life, real kids, same reasons. If the ratings services don't notice or adapt, oh well. There are always going to be kids who grow late, change positions, had injuries, had to wait for their chance, didn't start out in FB early, had grade issues that interfered, etc. Sometimes the bulb just goes off. Likewise, some kids who are seen as top notch as underclassmen don't progress as expected, don't have the drive, don't put in the effort, get injured, etc. All the same type of issues in reverse. Texas is a great example of a program that ***** itself over and over because it thinks prospects are determined in their soph and junior years.

We shouldn't care what the ranking services say. Some kids we target as underclassmen don't improve. And they often get dropped. Happens most years. Other local kids, we should be picking them up when they prove they merit the offer.
Literally happened this cycle Pat Payton late riser Savion Collins early star whose shine wore off...

Literally happened this cycle Pat Payton late riser Savion Collins early star whose shine wore off...
Yep. Happens every cycle. It's why you can't give out all your spots before senior year. It's also why kids get dropped. It's an uncertain business predicting the future, but when you're talking about teenagers and what they'll become, it's really uncertain. The idea that the internet or technology or camps somehow means that we know before senior year which kids will be the best players not only that year but down the road, it's just not true. We may know a good number of kids who look like highly likely prospects. But some won't pan out. And there will be plenty of kids who aren't even on the radar yet who end up being better. JJ Watt was a 2* prospect. Different sport but Scottie Pippen was a walk-on at a NAIA school.

Also, remember the Jordan story, because it explains something important in development. Mike never forget getting left off varsity as a sophomore. He had to tell that story in his HOF speech, iirc. It burned in him, and fueled his commitment and development. What separates prospects over time is inside them as much as anything. And that's really hard to see from some 40 times and 7-on-7 games.

Idk man... all the ones after 2000 247 had em ranked super highly as recruits. Again I don’t even know who or where star rankings were decided pre 2000 but the dudes after 2000 are all super highly ranked according to 247
That 2000 class predates the 247 system. But yea Majority of that class was the cream of the crop. That goes for the 98 and 99 class as well

Yes.

He was regarded as the top WR prospect in the country by many. That class had a bunch of very highly rated guys.

Just came in to say..Andre Johnson was like the biggest thing in south florida..I was a 9th grader I believe and he and Kevin Beard were the biggest things and the first time I even heard of "recruiting" to follow it as my teammate was a national all American and use to.log on to a website called Rivals and introduced me. That previous list the only sleeper was Sean Taylor and he was only a late bloomer not a true sleeper as the Gators were ina war with us for him..and he was not low key at all locally just played small school ball at Gulliver.

Advertisement
Most of that list wouldn’t have been considered one of the top 300 guys in high school
No. Absolutely no. Do some research on that 98, 99 and 2000 class. Not just how they finished but who they were as prospects coming to Miami. The whole diamond in the rough narrative was true for a few as far as national recognition. Such as Dan Morgan out of JP T but locally he was a dude. And if there was recruiting exposure like 2020 guys like him, Santana and others are not overlooked. That’s the point. If your classes don’t reflect well in your state rankings and over recruiting industry ranking in 2020 your not gunna be competing at the elite level..Clemson, Bama, OSU..**** throw in UGA..u can’t tell me those recruiting classes they stack aren’t directly correlated to their sustainability

Just came in to say..Andre Johnson was like the biggest thing in south florida..I was a 9th grader I believe and he and Kevin Beard were the biggest things and the first time I even heard of "recruiting" to follow it as my teammate was a national all American and use to.log on to a website called Rivals and introduced me. That previous list the only sleeper was Sean Taylor and he was only a late bloomer not a true sleeper as the Gators were ina war with us for him..and he was not low key at all locally just played small school ball at Gulliver.
ST26 was a late bloomer at a small school in Gul prep against Booty comp..started at another school in Miami I believe. but all u had to do was watch that state championship game where he put played the states best rated RB That year (forget his name. I wanna say it was vs marianna or sum like that. He was Derek Henry before d Henry. Just a freak

ST26 was a late bloomer at a small school in Gul prep against Booty comp..started at another school in Miami I believe. but all u had to do was watch that state championship game where he put played the states best rated RB That year (forget his name. I wanna say it was vs marianna or sum like that. He was Derek Henry before d Henry. Just a freak
I camped at Um with Sean Taylor.

He went to killian before Gulliver.

His trajectory was likely similar to Greg Rousseau. No one really recruited Gulliver, they played sh-t comp ..essentially um was hiding him there. But dude was destroying things and breaking records and cat got out the bag about midway through sr. Season. UF wanted him bad.

Sean highlights would be on channel 7 every Friday night locally.

The rb your speaking on went to Uga from Marianna.

Advertisement
Man it killed me watching coker recruit. I been following college recruiting since early ‘80s, first cbb then cfb. it was so obvious coker was a clown. the dave howell commitment in like ‘02 was enough for me to see he was clueless.

Coker chased rhyan anderson because ... hype. Sent 5 corches to an in home with joe joseph because hype. had zero idea what talent looked like. still upset about it because we could have kept this going if we’d had a better eval process.

honesty, erickson was similar, just a better coach but also inherited a JJ special team and was ruining it when he left.
I always valued your football knowledge and tend to agree with u alot of the time. What do u think of Diaz right now.

You guys who think all the best kids are already identified, tell me how Lamar Jackson slipped through the cracks. Or our own Greg Rousseau who was a 2 star before we offered him?

Besides, not all 4 and 5 stars are equally as good once you look under the hood. Evals matter. Herbert was a 4 star. How’s he doing? Charlie Jones was a 5 star. How’d he do?

I actually think the Golden and Richt camps were a good first step to getting back to proper Evals and finding high quality under the radar kids. We found Flowers that way before anyone else got to him. Make the local kids the priority and charge them little to nothing to get D1 coaching along with coaching from the best local coaches who participate so they’ll come.

We just need to do more of this, and the coaches need more local guys like Geta and Macho to surface the real talents that aren’t nationally recognized yet.

Personally, I’m really happy with the 2021 evals. Chase Smith is an absolute monster. Big Baby wasn’t even in the top 300 when he committed. People drool over Brooks but Brinson is better. Rodriguez is going to be the new Feliciano. We’ve got some real talent across the board and it wasn’t because coaches focused on rankings.
Greg was out of position in HS and didn’t really do the camp circuit . Lamar was known but was dead set on playing QB..and one of the best offensive of minds in the game Gave him that Opp..so idk how u can say he slipped through the cracks..just because Al, Jimbo and whoever was in Gaysville didn’t see him as a QB (each school I believe had Their “guy” committed) doesn’t mean he slipped through the cracks a. if that ole **** saw something in him that should’ve told UM and Golden something

I camped at Um with Sean Taylor.

He went to killian before Gulliver.

His trajectory was likely similar to Greg Rousseau. No one really recruited Gulliver, they played sh-t comp ..essentially um was hiding him there. But dude was destroying things and breaking records and cat got out the bag about midway through sr. Season. UF wanted him bad.

Sean highlights would be on channel 7 every Friday night locally.

The rb your speaking on went to Uga from Marianna.
That’s what I thought. Yea I remember watching the replay of that star championship game on ESPNu or something way back. Was a man among middle school kids. But there’s no doubt if the recruiting industry was like it is today back then ST26 is more than a local legend in HS. That a why it reminded me of D Henry. Who HS comp was questionable also

Advertisement
It’s unfair to those kids to even ask the question like that. Dee was a professional manager who should have known better. These were college kids. They won their title with coker anyhow. What sort of regrets are they supposed to have?
I mean..just imagine..if it was up to KD and Kyrie..they team don’t even need a coach. And that’s top pros thinking asinine **** like that..now imagine a professional admin asking 21-22 year olds to make a decision like that 😂..was the most ridiculous insight on that team I heard smh

wasnt he a parade all american in HS?
Bro he had Roscoe Parrish throwing him passes in HS..yes he was THAT DUDE. I know we got some former players who maybe were at Miami when Dre got there..but saying Dre wasn’t the top WR in Broward/Dade/palm (therefore likely top in florida and at least top 15 in the nation) in 99 is crazy. Fellas on that henn dawg and them milds heavy rn...He caught like 28 passes for 15 TD his SR year..again with roscoe as his QB 😂...he was indeed one on the most sought after WR in that class

Yeah parade and sporting news rated him high by the end of the year. Look where he was coming into that year if u get bored. Like I said he ended his year strong. Regardless anyone in most sports will tell you a kids offers are mainly based upon sophmore and junior years. But y'all go about this however you'd like. My eyes you're grasping for straws and as usual people avoid facts. Our history came from kids who were no part of elite recruits. But you guys know better than me.
But bruh..wouldn’t you admit that recruiting exposure is wayyyy different now than it was back then..we all understand what your saying. And by historical account your correct on plenty of guys. But that ain’t a winning formula today. Yes you have to evaluate. But in 2020 If your evaluation process does not include check marks next to majority of the blue chips in your area, or on your board in general then you likely need to reassess your formula...or you gunna be out here hoping to hit on a LaDarius Gunter at every position alla Al Golden

Last edited:
Advertisement
A lot of y'all are saying the same thing, just with different words. Bottom line is in order for Miami to have sustainable success, we must hit on player evaluations. Sign most, if not all of those kids. And then make sure we do a great job developing them. That's pretty much been the secret of our success since Schelly was runnin' things back in the 80's.

Greg was out of position in HS and didn’t really do the camp circuit . Lamar was known but was dead set on playing QB..and one of the best offensive of minds in the game Gave him that Opp..so idk how u can say he slipped through the cracks..just because Al, Jimbo and whoever was in Gaysville didn’t see him as a QB (each school I believe had Their “guy” committed) doesn’t mean he slipped through the cracks a. if that ole **** saw something in him that should’ve told UM and Golden something

I agree. Which was my point. They weren't highly rated. Jackson was a three star. ... How about another one. I was watching the Broncos v Chiefs game tonight and you had Jerry Jeudy, undisputed 5-star coming out of HS. You also had Tyreek Hill, who wasn't even in the top 1000 coming out of HS, had to go Juco to get noticed.

Miami absolutely wants a Jerry Jeudy on their team. But they also need to find the Tyreek Hills out there. Especially in So FL, there always a few good ones every year.

Advertisement
Back