1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

It absolutely was cause he was a late diagnosis. But again that's simply changing up the initial discussion which was were they elite recruits(ranked as that) or not. Troy was more well regarded than **** near anyone from down south on offense in general and nowhere would take him. Ended up stuck with iowa state.
Rankings and this discussion aside, what an incredible story and inspiration Frank is. I can’t begin to imagine the work it took to overcome that to qualify, let alone become one of the best RB in the history of the sport. One of my favorite Canes, mainly because of that.

Advertisement
We've beaten Bama out for a few kids. Off the top of my head Chad Thomas and Hall who currently starts.
Hard to say we beat them for hall as iirc he didn’t official there. saban flew in to see him in the spring but they had lots of offers out in the spring. we all think we beat them for him but they recruit to the wire.

thomas yes, sounds right to my recollection.

i think they would have taken a. richards also.

I was obsessed with recruiting and that class if I remember correctly was Vernon Carey,Jason Geathets and Andre Johnson where top HS recruits for us and Johnson was Top 5 WR in Florida early on just not Top 100 nationally. Knock on Dre was his hands and that’s why it took a few years to play. But he was always a big name nationally.

2000 was McGahee who was well known the whole time.

this photo was from a Top Florida list in 1998 going into that 1999 signing periodView attachment 137051
Classic post:

We got Corey Collier'S DAD recruit from this years class on the list.

The current head coach at FAMU Willie Simmons

And my city of Hollywood had like 3 or 4 certified ballers on this list ..Tavares Spillman was a PROBLEM. Man Man his nickname was a hollywood legend.

i believe Frazier went to WVU and I remember it always being a big debate if we should offer Ryan Schneider. Instead we sent that offer to a QB from Orinda California
Frazier did go to WVU. They've always recruited heavily in Palm Beach County but back then it was crazy. They had Khori Ivy (Boca Raton) and Barrett Green (Riviera Beach) too, just before Frazier. And Darren Studstill (Riviera Beach) played QB for them in the early 90s. I don't know if Jarrett Brown (Riviera Beach) ever got serious time there (mid 2000s).

Advertisement
Dre and roscoe both played qb for the high that year and dre also played db. It's why he wasn't rated as high as he should've been. He was absolutely considered an alpha LOCALLY. Nationally all that attention came later in the year. But I get it. Sure we'll say dre was a huge recruit. Now feel free pick apart every other name on that list. Funny **** is while that one clown *** dude keeps saying I'm making **** up and brings up parade like that was some big deal to be a parade all american, the one who did actually make a difference being a usa today all american guess how many of those people he mentioned were any part of that. Better yet guess how many we had in 30 years... Only one of em that he mentioned. Other were like Rudy,ceaser,dj & a handful of others. Several never even got into school. Anyways I don't mind having this convo with you brother. I know atleast youre going off your memory. But the lines are being confused to what was discussed. Being a dog locally didn't translate to being an ELITE NATIONAL RECRUIT WHO EVERYONE WANTED. Ask any number of us. Don't bother to believe me. Ask Frank what he was while he was considered the top rb in florida for years basically. When it all came down to it he didn't even have an offer from us till last second. He almost was forced to go to ole miss cause no one else would take him. Ask troy, darren,roscoe,Corey and tons of others. Scouts just like now we're scared to even go into half the areas these hits were staying and evaluate them. It's the sole reason miami was such an inigma for so long. But y'all wanna keep thinking we had elite national recruits.
You’re a weird dude. It’s ok to be wrong.

Frazier did go to WVU. They've always recruited heavily in Palm Beach County but back then it was crazy. They had Khori Ivy (Boca Raton) and Barrett Green (Riviera Beach) too, just before Frazier. And Darren Studstill (Riviera Beach) played QB for them in the early 90s. I don't know if Jarrett Brown (Riviera Beach) ever got serious time there (mid 2000s).
Brown started the 2009 season for WV. He was the bridge between Pat White and Geno Smith. In the 2009 Gator Bowl against fsu, Brown got hurt in the 2nd qrtr and Geno took over from there.

Advertisement

A lawyer walks into a bar and orders a boilermaker. The bartender hands him his drink. The lawyer says 'that's not a boilermaker.' The bartender said 'yes it is ... and I know, because I'm a bartender.' The lawyer responds 'cute.'

Advertisement
The guy who was less heavily regarded was Clinton Portis, which was a mystery to me. He was practically a one man offense at Gainesville High, great vision, great balance, broke a ton of tackles, and was clearly straight-line fast at any level. His film was outstanding.

For whatever reason, schools seemed to only want him at DB.

I was shocked that he signed here, but apparently we were his only major offer (there are conflicting reports about USCe) who said yes to RB. The rest is history.
He was small in high school (maybe 5'9" 170) and only bulked up to like 180 his freshman year here.

Pope never OV'd to Bama so hard to make this claim. They had interest early on. But like others have noted, they express interest in lots of guys early on. He committed here and they moved on. Not clear to me that's an example of us beating them out for a contested kid. They also signed a 5* kid in Waddle who was rated higher than Pope (and a 4* kid in X. Williams who was rated lower at end of cycle, but they'd held his commitment throughout).

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back