1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Advertisement
What people don’t realize is that many times, in fact most times, decisions are taken out of the kids hands. Most of the money is going to the family, the boosters negotiate hundreds of thousands of dollars to the families of most elite recruits, like this guy, especially elite linemen, big quick guys, the NFL type defensive lineman.

Maybe this guy may want to come to the U in the worst kind of way, but he would already know that he can’t.

Advertisement
What people don’t realize is that many times, in fact most times, decisions are taken out of the kids hands. Most of the money is going to the family, the boosters negotiate hundreds of thousands of dollars to the families of most elite recruits, like this guy, especially elite linemen, big quick guys, the NFL type defensive lineman.

Maybe this guy may want to come to the U in the worst kind of way, but he would already know that he can’t.

Maybe, just maybe, the NIL can level the playing field a little bit. What would help a lot is for a player at some bag school to get caught with his hand in the cookie jar and ruled ineligible. Or have disgruntled recruits at those schools tell other recruits about how the school and boosters felt they owned the players since they paid them with dirty money. That way Miami can point to the legal NIL money and show recruits that they have full control over their own situation.

Or alternatively Blake Baker can just pay Smith out of his own pocket since it might be the only thing that helps him keep his job.

On UGA:
Smith certainly thinks Georgia would be a good fit.

“The style of defense they run would definitely get me prepared for the next level after college,” Smith said. “They run a 50/50 three-man and four-man front. It sounds all good to run just a four-man front but ultimately that’s not what they do in the league. Most teams run a three-man front so just getting prepared for the league I think they do a good job at that and that’s why I fit that scheme so well because I can be that athletic guy that can rush the passer if they need me too.”

On Miami:
“I really do fit the scheme well,” he said. “The have some big-name dudes on defense committed over there. I think that’s going to get stuff rolling over there. With Miami I talk to Coach (Todd) Stroud, Coach (Blake) Baker, Coach (Jake) Swalley and Coach (Manny) Diaz all the time. Coach Baker is from Louisiana and was a coach at Louisiana Tech for some time so he knows where I’m from and everything about me. It’s good to have someone there that knows stuff about you and where you’re from and they can relate to you because that’s a long way from home. Plus about them, their defensive scheme, they let their defensive front attack the quarterback and get after it and that’s my style of ball. The scheme over there fits me best out of any scheme and I like that about them.”

I will say this: if he DOESN'T sign with LSU, his mom and the rest of his family better have the house packed and be ready to drive to wherever the selected school is.... life in Lo uisiana will be very unpleasant It's happened to recruits in the past.
Interesting. Who are some recruits this happened to?

Advertisement
I honestly wonder do kids see the vision. That defense is elite. LT, m.Smith, Lewis , j. Williams , t. Williams. Kam adding to what we already got. That’s how you compete against Bama next year

Maybe, just maybe, the NIL can level the playing field a little bit. What would help a lot is for a player at some bag school to get caught with his hand in the cookie jar and ruled ineligible. Or have disgruntled recruits at those schools tell other recruits about how the school and boosters felt they owned the players since they paid them with dirty money. That way Miami can point to the legal NIL money and show recruits that they have full control over their own situation.

Or alternatively Blake Baker can just pay Smith out of his own pocket since it might be the only thing that helps him keep his job.

Coaches don’t make enough to pay the going rate out of their own pocket

This kid doesn’t strike me as a bag guy. His answers are very thoughtful. Seems like someone who will make a sound, football-based decision.

Not speaking about him specifically, but speaking generically, a recruit may not be a bag guy, but we know nothing about a recruit’s family. This can be ircumstances-changing money to some of these families and puts these kids in a terrible position where they really have no choice.

Why is it that for the last 15 years, teams like Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and others have come down with South Florida and in certain position groups, have gotten the absolute cream of the crop, bar none. Miami’s incompetence has been a factor, an important one no doubt, but it’s not the only one. It became abundantly clear that the game had changed with Patrick Peterson/Johnson.

it’s always the same schools, it’s not like other schools have come and eaten in our lunch here, it’s always the same schools

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’ve said it many times in this thread but the no visits hurt us big time with this kid. He could still come but with him not being able to come down on his “own dime” I don’t like are chances.

Advertisement
All of CIS in this thread like
BDDF3E09-CA14-444F-BEB9-7E3CEEA4CBFD.gif

Advertisement
Back