1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Advertisement
i’m with you but what am I missing in terms of Chase Smith? He looks fast, explosive, long, makes plays at multiple positions, appears to be a great athlete. But doesn’t have the ranking to support that viewpoint. What are we seeing differently from the recruiting sites?
Maybe he's not going to the camps or something. Weird it's like Greg rose

i’m with you but what am I missing in terms of Chase Smith? He looks fast, explosive, long, makes plays at multiple positions, appears to be a great athlete. But doesn’t have the ranking to support that viewpoint. What are we seeing differently from the recruiting sites?
Maybe didn’t go to camps and political stuff like that. Because the kid is a ridiculous athlete

Smith isnt active on Social Media.

Sounds crazy, but that might be it.
Very quiet kid , that keeps to himself and wants zero attention. Or what I like to call a unicorn in 2020. He’s one of the steals of this class, some here have no clue what we have with him. Criminally underrated, under hyped.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He's made two under the radar "paid his own way" trips to UGA this fall. Haven't heard about him going anywhere else but who knows. Probably picking up some pocket change on those trips... Maybe he'll be another James Williams...
Would love for him to be.It’s crazy the money that is thrown at these top kids and I can completely see why they take the bags.

I know we all sit here and pass judgement on these kids when they do but not one person on here would turn down a free house,no show job ,new car or a bag of cash.

‘But there are kids that are brought up that money isn’t everything.This kids from Houma and Houma is filled with A LOT of oil field and natural gas money.Let’s hope his family is one of those sharing in that wealth and being in a system that is best for him is enough to get him to leave home.

Would be one of the biggest Coup d'état ever if we snatched him.

However, it's just too tall of a task without OV's happening, I know he visted us last year but that was a long time ago & he's recently visited both Bama & UGA on his own, I just don't think we'll be able to win out over the money he's being offered.

5-star kids from Louisiana almost exclusively sign with LSU or Bama, in fact, over the last 5 years the only 2 highest rated Louisiana kids that didn't sign with either LSU or Bama was 2019 Center Sedrick Van Pran from New Orleans who signed with UGA & 2018 QB Justin Rogers from Bossier City who signed with TCU (but wound up transferring to UNLV), but neither one of them were 5-stars, they were both high 4-stars with a 97 rating. Even Travis Etienne in the 2017 class was just a 91 rated 4-star & that was more of a miss eval by LSU than anything & they already had Clyde Edwards-Helaire committed.

But the fact is, the overwhelming majority of elite 5-star talent from Louisiana goes to either LSU or Bama, even UGA signing him would be a shock.

He speaks glowingly about Miami which is a good thing, shows that our coaches have done a good job selling him on the scheme & the program, maybe we pull off a miracle, would love for him to pick us on ENSD (if he even decides then) but I just don't see it happening. $EC bound.
LCE I said in another post ^^ that Houma where he lives was once one of the richest cities in the country.Full of Oil and gas millionaires.It’s not like it once was but there is still a ton of money down there and I’m hoping his family is one of them that was fortunate during the oil boon and everything that’s being thrown ,and from what’s I’m hearing it’s considerable,is not needed or will be used to determine where he goes.

‘This kid is the type like Williams and LT that turn a program around quick.

Advertisement
LCE I said in another post ^^ that Houma where he lives was once one of the richest cities in the country.Full of Oil and gas millionaires.It’s not like it once was but there is still a ton of money down there and I’m hoping his family is one of them that was fortunate during the oil boon and everything that’s being thrown ,and from what’s I’m hearing it’s considerable,is not needed or will be used to determine where he goes.

‘This kid is the type like Williams and LT that turn a program around quick.
Not sure the extent of his family, other than the mother. I've seen mention that she is very strong person and they are very close.

Very quiet kid , that keeps to himself and wants zero attention. Or what I like to call a unicorn in 2020. He’s one of the steals of this class, some here have no clue what we have with him. Criminally underrated, under hyped.
you think he plays in the middle or stays at striker? looks like he can add some weight and be a thumper in the middle with side line speed ability. him brooks and gilbert would be a nice combo on the field

Advertisement
Im noticing that he's really under hyped **** I didn't even appreciate it but now I'm hyped about this one

you think he plays in the middle or stays at striker? looks like he can add some weight and be a thumper in the middle with side line speed ability. him brooks and gilbert would be a nice combo on the field
Striker or lb is my guess. He’s capable of any of the three.

I was raised on old school defense philosophies where you win from inside - out. Just imagine.

1 tech - Maason Smith
3 tech - Leonard Taylor
Mike - T2
Strong - james Williams
Free- Kam Kitchens

And thats 1 recruiting cycle !!!!
Amen brother! But that’s not old school, that’s still how you win lots of footballs games and championships. It’s alway about the trenches, now and a hundred years from now.

Advertisement
5701BDC3-E86C-4F9E-A3EE-BF290C627050.jpeg

would love to see Masson Smith at THE U

Advertisement
Back