1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

“I’m Maason Smith, Star DT for your Miami Hurricanes, and when I want shop I only trust Trader Joe’s to get me right!! Stop by today to get the freshest produce, meat, and the greatest customer service! Mention my name at the cash register and receive 15% off your purchase.”

"And remember, that's Maason with two A's!"

Advertisement

Smith gave an interview to the local ESPN station recently. He talks about his recruitment - mostly about LSU since the station is a Baton Rouge station but he also mentions Miami as one of the schools that is recruiting him the hardest. He sounds like a well-grounded, smart kid. Doesn't seem to be interested in any drama . He said LSU has been recruiting him since he was in 8th grade. The schools he is continuing with - Miami expected to be one of them- talk to him about more than football. They are recruiting his family and he likes that.

Dropping a Top 8 on Saturday. Said he has enjoyed the recruiting process but wants to continue to narrow things down and let coaches from schools he will not continue with recruit other guys. Announcing and signing on early signing day, not earlier. Will be an EE.

Manny and our Canes staff really has something going here. I have seen this story before, but it just feels different this time around. I think this year we get 1 or 2 of the 2019 Flowes, (in this case Maason, Taylor, Williams)

Advertisement
Advertisement
The guy who filmed that 1-on-1 video is someone I’ve worked with. I talked to him last night and he said Smith is really fighting the decision between LSU and MIAMI. He’s a big UGA fan. There are people in his ear saying that if he wants to be a big time player he has to play in the SEC, but he is still really down to LSU and MIAMI.

sheesh I didn’t know we were closing in on him like that. If we get Maason Smith, Leonard Taylor, Savion Collins, and Allan Haye.... guys that will be the best haul of decade for a position group.

Last edited:
The guy whole filmed that 1-on-1 video is someone I’ve worked with. I talked to him last night and he said Smith is really fighting the decision between LSU and MIAMI. He’s a big UGA fan. There are people in his ear saying that if he wants to be a big time player he has to play in the SEC, but he is still really down to LSU and MIAMI.

sheesh I didn’t know we were closing in on him like that. If we get Maason Smith, Leonard Taylor, Savion Collins, and Allan Haye.... guys that will be the best haul of decade for a position group.
Lets just drop Collins

Advertisement
0516FBBA-C773-419C-A6C7-FC04DDD707A5.jpeg

The guy who filmed that 1-on-1 video is someone I’ve worked with. I talked to him last night and he said Smith is really fighting the decision between LSU and MIAMI. He’s a big UGA fan. There are people in his ear saying that if he wants to be a big time player he has to play in the SEC, but he is still really down to LSU and MIAMI.

Idk if it was mentioned here but I believe 1 or 2 of the coaches at his high school have very good relationships with Ed Reed. It’s about a 45 min drive from where Ed is from

Advertisement

UM is not taking all 4, somebody will get dropped....Collins.

Just win

Advertisement
Back