1997 Miami Hurricanes

Advertisement
Exactly. 1995 season was on the heels of Miami going into 1994 bowl season 10-1—a home loss to Washington the only blemish, as the Canes bounced back and knocked off #1 Florida State that year as defending champs, 34-20.

The 1995 team should've been better. No reason it should've lost at Virginia Tech that year—and UCLA weren't world beaters. Florida State should've been on the only loss in a 10-1 season with that roster and schedule.
My family took a trip out to that UCLA game. I still remember that **** announcer rattling off Karim Abdul Jabbar’s runs. He absolutely gashed us that day.

Roster
PlayerClassPosSummary
PlayerClassPosSummary
PlayerClassPosSummary
Ryan Clement*QB157 Cmp, 267 Att, 2089 Yds, 10 TD
Scott CovingtonQB27 Cmp, 60 Att, 318 Yds, 0 TD
Steve KellyQB2 Cmp, 5 Att, 22 Yds, 0 TD
Edgerrin James*RB184 Att, 1098 Yds, 6.0 Avg
Carlo Joseph*RB15 Rec, 172 Yds, 11.5 Avg
James JacksonRB81 Att, 595 Yds, 7.3 Avg
Dyral McMillanRB31 Att, 144 Yds, 4.6 Avg
Trent JonesRB26 Att, 107 Yds, 4.1 Avg
Nick WilliamsRB13 Att, 40 Yds, 3.1 Avg
Will McPartlandRB2 Att, -1 Yds, -0.5 Avg
Derryl WilliamsRB2 Att, 4 Yds, 2.0 Avg
Reggie Wayne*WR48 Rec, 640 Yds, 13.3 Avg
Daryl Jones*WR16 Rec, 252 Yds, 15.8 Avg
Jeff PopovichWR
Santana MossWR14 Rec, 269 Yds, 19.2 Avg
Omar RolleWR13 Rec, 108 Yds, 8.3 Avg
Magic BentonWR6 Rec, 64 Yds, 10.7 Avg
Andre KingWR5 Rec, 66 Yds, 13.2 Avg
Bubba Franks*TE19 Rec, 294 Yds, 15.5 Avg
Mondriel FulcherTE5 Rec, 87 Yds, 17.4 Avg
Chris C. JonesTE2 Rec, 27 Yds, 13.5 Avg
Kerlin Blaise*OL
Carlos Callejas*OL
Damond Neely*OL
Robert Sampson*OL
Mike Wehner*OL
Robert HallOL
Ty WiseOL
Andy CroslandK
Denny Fortney*DL
Derrick Ham*DL
Damione Lewis*DL
Chad Pegues*DL
Quincy HippsDL
Matt SweeneyDL
Rod Mack*LB
Dan Morgan*LB
Michael Smith*LB
Jevon RhodesLB
Nate WebsterLB
Nate Brooks*DB
Eugene Ridgely*DB
Dennis Scott*DB
Duane Starks*DB
Delvin BrownDB
Leonard MyersDB
More 1997 Miami (FL) Pages
that list had some really good players (eventually), but the OL and DL and QB were really poor. Hmmm...

Butch will never get the credit for the rebuild job in late 90's that culminated in 2001 championship and appearance to in next championship against OSU..... I was in phoenix and yes we got screwed.
i wanted B.Davis rehired instead go Richt and instead of CMD...... enjoyed Butch schooling CMD and his stafff of grad assitants as well

that list had some really good players (eventually), but the OL and DL and QB were really poor. Hmmm...
That's Because of Ericksons Drunken Stupor recruiting....He left Butch Trash on OL and QB except KC Jones....there was Absolutely NO depth at KEY positions...anyone who refutes this is being Disingenuous...He barely could hold practices in 97....Were there some Excellent players??...Absolutely...
But mostly youth and No depth behind said Youth...Once the young players got more experience...and Sanctions subsided...Then you saw a much better 98 & 99...leading to 2000-2003....

Advertisement
1997 HS QBs a lot of known names in that group

Ronald Curry- Mr everything in Hoops and football #1 player

Adam Dunn- All Star MLB

Dane Fife- Played Hoops indiana

Matt Holiday- MLB All Star

Luke Huard- brother of Damon and Brock

Carson Palmer

Some other interesting names

TOP DL- Gus Felder 👀 ended up OL

Earnest Graham- RB

Ben ***- STUD RB that didn’t do 💩 and great name

David Terrell

Jon Stinchcomb

Dennis Johnson- #1 D player went to Kentucky

Julius Peppers

Old time recruitnics would maybe remember these players Canes went after but didn’t land

*Montrell Flowers- Stud WR, blazing speed
*Osa Nosa- DT from South Dade who cried on signing day because he couldn’t sign with Miami because of grades and went to WVU
*Andrew Williams- Signed but didn’t qualify but went JC and came back to help us win ‘01 ship
*Steve Bellisari- QBs/Safety from Boca
*Lee Jackson- Safety from Texas I believe committed to us but night of signing day during that night said he woke up and Jesus told him to go to Texas

Dennis Johnson almost signed with Miami.

Kentucky ended up hiring his father and he ended up a Wildcat.

His family may have monetarily been helped, but Johnson never reached his potential - which he would've had it he played for Butch.

Butch will never get the credit for the rebuild job in late 90's that culminated in 2001 championship and appearance to in next championship against OSU..... I was in phoenix and yes we got screwed.
i wanted B.Davis rehired instead go Richt and instead of CMD...... enjoyed Butch schooling CMD and his stafff of grad assitants as well

If Butch gets the job instead of Richt by this point, the overall roster and team development would have been much better. So would have the coaching staff. We wouldn't be Bama at this point, but I'd bet top 15.

That's Because of Ericksons Drunken Stupor recruiting....He left Butch Trash on OL and QB except KC Jones....there was Absolutely NO depth at KEY positions...anyone who refutes this is being Disingenuous...He barely could hold practices in 97....Were there some Excellent players??...Absolutely...
But mostly youth and No depth behind said Youth...Once the young players got more experience...and Sanctions subsided...Then you saw a much better 98 & 99...leading to 2000-2003....

Three of Miami's best underclassmen went pro after the '96 season.

The team was also relying on J German to play a lot in '97 after missing the '96 season due to injury. And the NCAA ended up ******** German over and suspending him for the entirety of the '97 season. Omar Rolle and Magic Benton weren't able to step up, so Miami had to rely on some freshmen to play WR.

And Al Blades was lost for the season during spring practice due to an ACL year (I don't think he was ever the same player). And Miami's best Ol Richard Mercier was lost to a season ending injury during the opener with Baylor.

And Nate Webster was hurt a lot and barely played that season. And EJ was hurt a lot that season as well.

The team was a mess with the lack of depth due to scholly reductions. And some UM fans don't realize how putrid Erickson's recruiting had become - especially his last two recruiting classes.

Three of Miami's best underclassmen went pro after the '96 season.

The team was also relying on J German to play a lot in '97 after missing the '96 season due to injury. And the NCAA ended up ******** German over and suspending him for the entirety of the '97 season. Omar Rolle and Magic Benton weren't able to step up, so Miami had to rely on some freshmen to play WR.

And Al Blades was lost for the season during spring practice due to an ACL year (I don't think he was ever the same player). And Miami's best Ol Richard Mercier was lost to a season ending injury during the opener with Baylor.

And Nate Webster was hurt a lot and barely played that season. And EJ was hurt a lot that season as well.

The team was a mess with the lack of depth due to scholly reductions. And some UM fans don't realize how putrid Erickson's recruiting had become - especially his last two recruiting classes.
Shhhhhhhh....The Butch Haters will be here with Pitchforks in 5...4...3...2...

Advertisement
No...Dorsey wasnt even at UM in 97....team did NOT have alot of talent in 97....by the end of 98 is when we finally started to get alittle depth and breathe a sigh of relief sanction wise...
Ken Dorsey was starting after the kenny kelly ERA which was 1999. Ken Dorsey was our starter. 97 was Covington. We went to a bowl game againt ncstate and Covington threw for 300 yards and we WON.

Last edited:
Ken Dorsey was starting after the kenny kelly ERA which was 1999. Ken Dorsey was our starter. 97 was Covington. We went to a bowl game againt ncstate and Covington threw for 300 yards and we WON.

That was ‘98. Edge ran all over NC State in that bowl game.

Advertisement
When Santana walked by their secondary and dropped a game changing touchdown, I knew we were close.

Losing that game sucked but you could tell we were loaded and college football was soon to be in serious trouble.
Santana was ****ting on those secondaries.... He shook the pants off OSU's and ****ted on fsu's. He made his name that year

I was there....Dorsey got his start after Kelly was Hurt....dont need any lessons...I promise you...

Advertisement
Haven't checked the whole thread, but I didn't Richard Mercier(who is one of the most underrated and forgotten players ever at UM) get injured and then ruled out for the whole season during the Baylor opener? And it really caused a huge shuffle at Oline, and quite frankly that unit never recovered, and the season spiraled down from there

Last edited:
I remember Ferman had the below magazine out and in the publication it had an article discussing what needs to happen for a title season. I was 17 at the time hook line sinker, I was all bought in. But looking at the roster it was straight trash.

Our first game @Baylor I’m pretty sure that’s the day Princess Diana died.

All our good players where freshman, I remember Santana, Reggie, Bubba Franks, Edge and James Jackson being the only guys that would make plays but all super young.View attachment 109771View attachment 109772View attachment 109772

I still have that!!

The FSU game was rough....it was one of the very few times I went into that game as a fan knowing, 100%, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that we were going to lose and lose big. Don't think I even made it to halftime before leaving the TV and doing something else.

Advertisement
Back