12/17: Temple 9:30PM (ESPNU)

Some thoughts on the game:

1. If I told you we were going to shoot 4-18 from 3PT and 14-22 from the FTL and still score 79 Points, you'd think the game went to multiple OTs. Temple (before the game) allowed 60 PPG, so scoring 79 on them isn't bad.

2. It seems to be a trend that the opponent goes off when it comes to shooting 3PTs. Temple (before the game) hits 31.1% of their 3PTs, against us they hit 13 (13-32 or 40.6%). I think Temple started 9 for 16 from 3PT during this game.

3. Keith Stone came off the bench and in 19 Minutes, had 13 Points, 4 Rebounds and 1 Block. He also shot 4-5 from FG and 5-7 from FTL. Great game for him and he didn't look that winded.

4. Front Court: Sam continues his trend of solid play and had 3 Blocks as well. He actually stepped up and played decent D tonight. The only knock on his game was how poorly he shot from the FTL (2-5). Also, Rodney had a good game. Glad that Temple didn't attempt to go D-low that much.

5. The guards: The scoring was down, way down. All 5 of them combined for 46 Points. Granted, Bev only played 15 Minutes, he only had 6 Points. Kam had a double-double and was the leading rebounder. Kam and DJ combined for 18 rebounds too.

Bev stinks.

He is very talented and I think he has a chance to put it together this year (unlike Wong), but overall he has not played well this year.

He's awful on defense, and has been bad on offense so far. Last night: 6 points on 7 shots, 1 assist to 2 turnovers, offensive rating of 71 while he was in the game (overall offensive rating was 101, so something like 120 while he was on the bench).

Advertisement
Great win against a solid team. Some of my thoughts:

- This is one of the best offensive teams we've had under L, but clearly the worst defensive team.
- We were -27 from 3 and still won. Wow
- Rodney had the best game of his career. 11 points and 9 boards, including a key putback in the final minute. He had an extra bounce in his step. Maybe playing near home helped?
- Sam continues a stretch of solid play. He wasn't perfect (3 turnovers and 3 missed FT's), but I'll take 8 points, 5 boards, and 3 blocks against a quality opponent any day from him.
- Stone was huge, especially offensively. The fouls are a bit concerning, we can't afford for that to be a problem every game due to our lack of depth.
- Lykes has been performing at an All ACC level since his slow start to the season. Very heady play at the end of the game.
- Temple did a great job defending DJ on the perimeter, but he did a great job finding other ways to score. He will make money playing overseas one day.
- Kam missed a ton of makeable shots last night (I think his legs were tired by the end of the game), but he still had a double double.
- Wong looks flat out awful lately. He cannot handle the ball. I know he's just a freshman, but I'm not encouraged at all.
- Beverly has also looked pretty crappy after a nice start to the season. He plays lazy D, turns the ball over, and attempts some really bad shots.
- Not sure why Walker can't get any burn.

Last night was nice, but we can't expect Rodney and Sam to play that well every night. We HAVE to start getting something from the freshmen again. We are simply too thin to have 3 of our 9 active scholarship players do nothing or even be a net negative.

Some thoughts: Glad Coach L was back, and very happy with this important win, and Sam who to me was far from great certainly has played worse. I was thrilled Rodney came through a lot, and Lykes of course when critical as well. I share the severe disappointment in Beverly and Wong, and where is Walker? DJ and Kam pretty much had off nights, but not so terrible as to turn this thing into a loss. Stone did his part for sure, hope to see more.

I noticed one thing that has troubled me personally about Coach L's "get back" quickly style... when the team for whatever reason is taking longish or hard shots, and missing, as was the case last night for 3's and Kam, we are again left with no one on the board, or even close. Other goodish teams tend to have 1-2 of their faster guys "hang around" a bit. There were so many 3's missed last night it was glaring, I don't remember once a Cane in the vicinity to compete for the rebound.

Unless we get 3's (DJ and Lykes and Kam) up near 40%, this will kill us against ACC teams, as it has many times in the past. I suppose accurate shooting success is the best to hope for, but I wish Coach L let a guy or 2 hang a bit.

Advertisement
You gotta understand these kids are 10 games into their college careers. Can’t expect them to put up Cole Anthony numbers right away.

I could rattle off the names of several freshman guards we have had in the L era that were contributors from day 1.

Advertisement
Well, had you kept reading you would have found an evidence-based argument supporting that statement.

I respect your honesty, though. Few people would freely admit that they choose not to even entertain opinions different than their own.

You said he “stinks”. What is the point of going forward? Were you referring to his odor?

Advertisement
I agree talented Bev has had major shortcomings much of this season, and recently, especially when there was apparently hUge potential.

He has a certain smoothness and natural basketball athleticism, for want of a better label, that I haven't witnessed here since Lonnie Walker. It wouldn't surprise me to see Bev become just as good... but I'm losing a bit of my hope for that as time goes on.

Advertisement
What is the most important thing (or one of the most important) for the development of a freshman you’re not redshirting? So a freshman you intend to play.

What is the most important thing (or one of the most important) for the development of a freshman you’re not redshirting? So a freshman you intend to play.

Not sure. Depends on how you frame the question I think.

Here's a simpler question: what's the most important thing for a basketball team to do?

Answer: win.

We need to play the guys that give us the best chance to win the current game. Our freshmen currently do not do that.

Advertisement
Back