12/17: Temple 9:30PM (ESPNU)

We finally win in Brooklyn. Ugly win but glad to get it.

It was nice of Temple to hit 13 3s tonight while we struggled from 3 and could barely hit FTs.

Advertisement
Nice win, but we need our freshmen to contribute more if we want to do anything in the conference tournament

Can't just rely on a 6 man rotation in ACC play

Also, Coach L needs to figure out his subs...he's never been good at it and it's frustrating as ****

The zone defense worked though...I wouldn't mind doing that more often

Advertisement
Couple of things...
1) what about Rodney?!? This will be by far the best game he’ll ever have! Big putback late!
2) the pace was so much better than what they normally play with!
3) Waardenburg was aggressive and good... especially early.
4) the zone was very effective.
5) the freshmen were nonexistent... Beverly was bad on D, can’t hit an open 3, and didn’t want the b-ball vs pressure. Wong barely played. Walker didn’t play at all. Walker has more to do with Miller, Waard, and Stone playing well. I love the freshmen and want them to play more also!
6) how did DJ land that girl?!?

Good win, IMO...

Advertisement
By far the best the team has played all season. Still left a lot to be desired but Lykes has undeniably brought it the last two games and Rodney Miller looked like a different player last night in all aspects. Keith Stone brought it last night as well.

Things that worry me: When Lykes is off the floor we don't have anyone that can handle the rock. Teams have gameplanned against this and have gotten easy points off turnovers from Wong (disaster with the ball in his hands), Beverly, and Mcgusty.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some thoughts on the game:

1. If I told you we were going to shoot 4-18 from 3PT and 14-22 from the FTL and still score 79 Points, you'd think the game went to multiple OTs. Temple (before the game) allowed 60 PPG, so scoring 79 on them isn't bad.

2. It seems to be a trend that the opponent goes off when it comes to shooting 3PTs. Temple (before the game) hits 31.1% of their 3PTs, against us they hit 13 (13-32 or 40.6%). I think Temple started 9 for 16 from 3PT during this game.

3. Keith Stone came off the bench and in 19 Minutes, had 13 Points, 4 Rebounds and 1 Block. He also shot 4-5 from FG and 5-7 from FTL. Great game for him and he didn't look that winded.

4. Front Court: Sam continues his trend of solid play and had 3 Blocks as well. He actually stepped up and played decent D tonight. The only knock on his game was how poorly he shot from the FTL (2-5). Also, Rodney had a good game. Glad that Temple didn't attempt to go D-low that much.

5. The guards: The scoring was down, way down. All 5 of them combined for 46 Points. Granted, Bev only played 15 Minutes, he only had 6 Points. Kam had a double-double and was the leading rebounder. Kam and DJ combined for 18 rebounds too.

Some thoughts on the game:

1. If I told you we were going to shoot 4-18 from 3PT and 14-22 from the FTL and still score 79 Points, you'd think the game went to multiple OTs. Temple (before the game) allowed 60 PPG, so scoring 79 on them isn't bad.

2. It seems to be a trend that the opponent goes off when it comes to shooting 3PTs. Temple (before the game) hits 31.1% of their 3PTs, against us they hit 13 (13-32 or 40.6%). I think Temple started 9 for 16 from 3PT during this game.

3. Keith Stone came off the bench and in 19 Minutes, had 13 Points, 4 Rebounds and 1 Block. He also shot 4-5 from FG and 5-7 from FTL. Great game for him and he didn't look that winded.

4. Front Court: Sam continues his trend of solid play and had 3 Blocks as well. He actually stepped up and played decent D tonight. The only knock on his game was how poorly he shot from the FTL (2-5). Also, Rodney had a good game. Glad that Temple didn't attempt to go D-low that much.

5. The guards: The scoring was down, way down. All 5 of them combined for 46 Points. Granted, Bev only played 15 Minutes, he only had 6 Points. Kam had a double-double and was the leading rebounder. Kam and DJ combined for 18 rebounds too.
The question is how good is Temple? Also, is Rodney Miller finally turning the corner as a player here?

Advertisement
I think temple is a decent team, a NCAA tournament team? Tough to say, maybe. Rodney Miller, I hope we can get at least a satisfactory rebounder/Offensive player like last night. Maybe, the coaches can work on his D, but I am skeptical that he will be a decent contributor here. He definitely has the size.

Advertisement
Back