11/29 @ #12 Minnesota 9:15 [ESPN 2]

Also Lonnie Walker doesnt seem to realize yet that this isnt high school and he cant just put his shoulder down and dunk everytime he gets the ball.

Advertisement
Great win in a tough environment.

Huell has really improved. Minnesota has grown-*** men on the front line and Huell went right at them and attacked the basket. Really impressed with him so far. That front line also showed that Waardenburg has to get stronger. He looked like an international player seeing big strong dudes for the first time.

Lykes and Walker showing flashes. Both still adjusting to the college game a bit.

Those grown *** men had a relatively easy time against us down low, which is clearly going to be our weakness this year. We need to step that up for the frightening exceptions of when the back court is not dominant.

Coach continues to impress me every year with the improvement of our big men. Huell is just the next in line of really big men who have maximized their potential under Coach L. And the good news for us is that he's the most athletic big man we've had since Dwayne Collins.

Coach continues to impress me every year with the improvement of our big men. Huell is just the next in line of really big men who have maximized their potential under Coach L. And the good news for us is that he's the most athletic big man we've had since Dwayne Collins.

Huell looked like a man amongst boys quite literally. So much stronger than everyone else on the court.

He's a far better offensive player right now than DC ever was. Defensively, not so much.

Advertisement
Minnesota definitely missed McBrayer. Washington occasionally flashed his potential, but pretty much looked over matched and raw. No way should he be starting.

Thought I would share my few thoughts and experience being at the game last night. Full disclosure – I know very little about basketball and am more of a hockey guy – but I have been a die-hard Canes football fan for years and years so I had to go support the Canes when they came into town.

On the players:
#11 Brown is player. He can really do it all. He put some crazy passes thru some amazingly tight windows. When he had the ball in his hands – there was just a feeling he was going to score every time. He had a dunk that it looked like he was a foot above the rim. It seems like the Canes run the game thru him.

#00 Newton (I think) – the Minnesota fans sitting around me that know a lot more about basketball then me were very impressed with him. They were talking him up like no other. He impressed them more than any other Cane.

#20 (name?) – had a huge game. Put up a lot of points for the Canes and really changed the momentum of the game several times with some massive dunks.

#4 (name?) – kind of made me angry in the 1st half. Seemed like he was the one Cane that was missing a few shots and making some bad decisions with the ball. I know he is a true frosh though.

Coaching: Coach L coached this game marvelously. He seemed to use our shooting ability, quickness and technical skill and keep the game to the outside which worked awesome for us. It seemed like we outshot them in 3 pointers about 5-1. Minnesota had a lot more trips to the line than we did though. The fans couldn’t believe how many 3’s we were draining – they were impressed. I saw some of the other posters thinking that the refs were favoring the Gophers. The Gophers fans sure didn’t think so – they were calling for a lot more fouls against Miami (to be expected).

On the atmosphere of the game – it was amazing. The Barn is an awesome court. One of the few courts left that is risen above the floor. Aside from the immediate row of Miami fans behind the Miami bench – there was probably no more than 15 Miami fans scattered throughout. The fans in general were heckling me a little bit (I of course was wearing all Canes gear) but most of them were very nice. A lot of older folks. One MN fan got really mad at me. A MN couple was taking a pic on the stairs with the court at their backs – and I happened to be walking up behind them – They got their picture with me throwing up the []_[] in the background. A nearby fan started yelling at me calling me a jerk and such – I told him I was just having a little fun – but he didn’t stop. I just blew him off.

Last – Blake James was at the game right behind the players bench. Most of the Miami fans throughout the stadium at one point or another went down to shake his hand. I did not – but thought of what I would have said to him. I would have asked for his autograph on the underside bill of my Miami hat with an inscription that says “I fired Al Golden”.

Oh - and no - they do not have an ice rink under the BB Court. All the gophers teams (mens and womens) have their own stadiums.

Thought I would share my few thoughts and experience being at the game last night. Full disclosure – I know very little about basketball and am more of a hockey guy – but I have been a die-hard Canes football fan for years and years so I had to go support the Canes when they came into town.

On the players:
#11 Brown is player. He can really do it all. He put some crazy passes thru some amazingly tight windows. When he had the ball in his hands – there was just a feeling he was going to score every time. He had a dunk that it looked like he was a foot above the rim. It seems like the Canes run the game thru him.

#00 Newton (I think) – the Minnesota fans sitting around me that know a lot more about basketball then me were very impressed with him. They were talking him up like no other. He impressed them more than any other Cane.

#20 (name?) – had a huge game. Put up a lot of points for the Canes and really changed the momentum of the game several times with some massive dunks.

#4 (name?) – kind of made me angry in the 1st half. Seemed like he was the one Cane that was missing a few shots and making some bad decisions with the ball. I know he is a true frosh though.

Coaching: Coach L coached this game marvelously. He seemed to use our shooting ability, quickness and technical skill and keep the game to the outside which worked awesome for us. It seemed like we outshot them in 3 pointers about 5-1. Minnesota had a lot more trips to the line than we did though. The fans couldn’t believe how many 3’s we were draining – they were impressed. I saw some of the other posters thinking that the refs were favoring the Gophers. The Gophers fans sure didn’t think so – they were calling for a lot more fouls against Miami (to be expected).

On the atmosphere of the game – it was amazing. The Barn is an awesome court. One of the few courts left that is risen above the floor. Aside from the immediate row of Miami fans behind the Miami bench – there was probably no more than 15 Miami fans scattered throughout. The fans in general were heckling me a little bit (I of course was wearing all Canes gear) but most of them were very nice. A lot of older folks. One MN fan got really mad at me. A MN couple was taking a pic on the stairs with the court at their backs – and I happened to be walking up behind them – They got their picture with me throwing up the []_[] in the background. A nearby fan started yelling at me calling me a jerk and such – I told him I was just having a little fun – but he didn’t stop. I just blew him off.

Last – Blake James was at the game right behind the players bench. Most of the Miami fans throughout the stadium at one point or another went down to shake his hand. I did not – but thought of what I would have said to him. I would have asked for his autograph on the underside bill of my Miami hat with an inscription that says “I fired Al Golden”.

Oh - and no - they do not have an ice rink under the BB Court. All the gophers teams (mens and womens) have their own stadiums.

Minnesota fans LOVED Newton.

Advertisement
Also Lonnie Walker doesnt seem to realize yet that this isnt high school and he cant just put his shoulder down and dunk everytime he gets the ball.

He drove to the hole like four total times. Got fouled twice and missed the other layups.

The criticism of Lonnie is stupid. Kid is a player. But right now he doesn't quite know how to handle being the 4-5 option. IMO he should be the 2nd option in the offense, but seniority.

He drove to the hole like four total times. Got fouled twice and missed the other layups.

The criticism of Lonnie is stupid. Kid is a player. But right now he doesn't quite know how to handle being the 4-5 option. IMO he should be the 2nd option in the offense, but seniority.

Seniority doesn't have anything to do with it. He's obviously not acclimated yet.

Seniority doesn't have anything to do with it. He's obviously not acclimated yet.

It's not obvious at all. The few times we've actually ran a high pick n roll for him, he's gotten to the basket just fine. We don't run it because L would rather run that play for jaquan/bruce and have him stand in the corner as a 3-point outlet.

Newton was great last night. He will be great again, but he will also be super frustrating at points this season. I'd like to see more high PNR for Lonnie.

It's not obvious at all. The few times we've actually ran a high pick n roll for him, he's gotten to the basket just fine. We don't run it because L would rather run that play for jaquan/bruce and have him stand in the corner as a 3-point outlet.

Newton was great last night. He will be great again, but he will also be super frustrating at points this season. I'd like to see more high PNR for Lonnie.

Not knocking or criticizing him at all, hes just got some adjusting to do and i hope its sooner than later because this message board swears he's a beast and im pumped

Advertisement

Not knocking or criticizing him at all, hes just got some adjusting to do and i hope its sooner than later because this message board swears he's a beast and im pumped

I'm sure IV will get it going. But if we're comparing him to other projected one and doners like Bagley, he's not in the same stratosphere.

Advertisement

I'm sure IV will get it going. But if we're comparing him to other projected one and doners like Bagley, he's not in the same stratosphere.

I think we're seeing side effect of him not practicing with a college basketball team all summer and fall. He would've been pressed into more situations like Saturday night if so.

Random opinions after this game:

Who helped themselves the most for March?

Tyus Battle and Syracuse added a quality win to its 6-0 record by beating Maryland, but the Orange’s biggest test will come this weekend against Kansas. The team that might have bought itself an extra seed or two this week was No. 10 Miami, which finished its undefeated November by beating the 12th-ranked Gophers on the road.

Both those teams should get better as the season wears on, which should make the Hurricanes’ victory stand out to the selection committee as the tournament approaches. They have a shot to finish nonconference play without a loss. The Canes look as though they could be one of the most exciting and entertaining groups in a conference that proved this week that it’s deeper and more dangerous than any league in the country.

Takeaways from the ACC's big showing against the Big Ten - Men's College Basketball Blog- ESPN

Original prediction: Minnesota 73, Miami 70

How it played out: Miami 86, Minnesota 81. Just a really impressive performance and win for Miami, going on the road to hand Minnesota its first loss. Dewan Huell's inside play has been a difference-maker for Miami, and he held his own against Minnesota's inside duo of Jordan Murphy and Reggie Lynch, finishing with 23 points. Minnesota was missing starting shooting guard Dupree McBrayer, for what it's worth.

Revisiting Big Ten/ACC Challenge picks, predictions - Men's College Basketball Blog- ESPN

I think we're seeing side effect of him not practicing with a college basketball team all summer and fall. He would've been pressed into more situations like Saturday night if so.

Don't see how this is so tough for everyone on this board to grasp? Missed significant time with a severe injury and L is clearly restricting his minutes so that he can be worked in slowly. Immediately thrusting him into a primary scoring role would be less than ideal given the circumstance, he will come around eventually.

Advertisement
Back