11/16: Quinnipiac 2:00PM (ACC Network)

Gak
Walker
Mcgusty
DJ
Beverly

DJ sees himself to the bench when stone is healthy.

Advertisement
Some questions:

1. Does Coach start Sam and Rodney?

2. Over/Under combined minutes for Sam and Rodney at 45?

3. Over/Under combined points scored by the guards at 62.5?

4. Which big man will score the most points?

As for (a) or (b), they’ve been in the program for a long time at this point, I don’t know how much more they can do.

There is no doubt that Rodney has “improved”, no question about it. But neither player should play 20 MPG. Neither player should be on our best lineup. Playing them (combined) 40 MPG will allow this team to underperform.

Not sure when or if Coach will feature a 4 guard lineup. But the guards on this team are our obvious strengths. Sam and Rodney are not good rebounders, they’re not good defenders. It is not like we’re taking a tremendous risk with a 4 guard lineup. I don’t understand why Coach will continue this low energy and unathletic lineup, then again, I don’t understand why Brooks is sitting out either (i.e. didn’t apply for a waiver).

The guards combined for 64 points tonight. That is where our talent lies.

Correct, it would be one thing if we are killing teams on the boards with Sam and Rodney, but in fact its the opposite. So might as well go 4 guards and 1 of the bigs (I prefer Gak). There is no reason Beverley is only playing 20 minutes a game right now.

I think minutes played says a lot about what Coach L is thinking. This game, a wide distribution/9 man rotation. If he promised the frosh meaningful minutes right away, he's making good on that.

With Stone likely playing in the next game, whose minutes go down? Quin game minutes:

McGusty 33
Chris & DJ 28
Beverly, Miller & Sam 21
Gak, Walker & Wong 15

Advertisement
With Stone likely playing in the next game, whose minutes go down? Quin game minutes:

McGusty 33
Chris & DJ 28
Beverly, Miller & Sam 21
Gak, Walker & Wong 15

Some quick points:

1. I have to imagine that Stone will be eased into the lineup. Maybe 5-10 MPG until he is capable of playing some more.

2. Our next game is in the Charleston Classic Tourney. So it isn't a traditional play a game, few days off, play another game. Having to play at least 2 games within ~24 hours, may be too testing on Stone, but we will see.

3. Not really about Stone per se, I predict Coach will continue to force his current lineup. Given that, I predict that in the second game of this tourney, certain players will produce less and less as they are gassed.

4. For the immediate next game, I predict Coach will play Sam and Rodney combined at least 40 MPG with minimal 4 guard lineups.

In case you missed the game, here are the highlights and condensed versions.

Bonus: Kevin Marfo for Quinnipiac had 9 points, 13 rebounds and 3 blocks in the game. He is a redshirt junior as he sat out the 2017-18 season as he transferred from George Washington to Quinnipac. If Miami does not uses the last two scholarships on freshmen and they feel the need to go the grad transfer route. Kevin would be a good choice. Remember, the game against Stephen F. Austin last season is how they evaluated T.J. Holyfield.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Per the Coach L post game press conference(post# 139 by casualcane), Keith Stone has been cleared for contact. This is huge news. Coach L states Keith needs to practice and get up to date with the team. Coach L did not give a timeframe of when Keith will make his season debut.

I don't believe that. I think Keith Stone plays against Florida in the Charleston Classic. Of course, that is after both teams win their opening round games. I think Coach L is trying not to tip his hand about Keith. I am sure Keith would love to play against his former team.

If I am wrong then Keith will probably make his debut on December 2nd against Illinois. Adding Keith makes the team 10 deep. Unfortunately, Sam will see his minutes get reduced if he does not step up soon. Soon meaning now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back