11/16: Quinnipiac 2:00PM (ACC Network)

Advertisement
1 of 11 3 point shooting in the first half. Miami leads by 5 at halftime.

8 of 11 3 point shooting in the second half. Miami leads 65-43 with 5:09 left in the game.

3 points shooting motivates this team. They defend and rebound better when they are making 3s.

I think you're over thinking a blow out win against a cupcake.

Advertisement
Advertisement
1 of 11 from the 3 point line in the first half, 11 of 15 from the 3 point line in the second half for 46% for the game.

That is why Miami won 80-52.

Advertisement
Not gonna shoot 46% from 3 very often. That said, if the other team's raining tres, you might wanna think about getting outta the zone Quinnipiac...

Advertisement
I attended, First time I've seen this team. Light years more interesting than last season due to the athleticism of the new guys. Normally all of our recruiting classes look weird, like pegs but not players. This class finally has elite looking athletes.

Of course, they are small guys for the most part. This thread contained more about Walker than I was ever thinking about him during the game itself. Larranaga does play not play young bigs who are lost on the back end. We're stuck with Miller and Waardenburg. I don't know how many ACC games can be threatened with that combo.

At least Miller has done the most he can with his body. Definitely thinner and less the klutz. DJ is even trimmer than last year. He should have figured this out as a sophomore. Dak has also improved his physique. It will continue to fill out like Izundu did. But right now we are comically narrow in the front court. Izundu had some wide shoulders the past two seasons. Not we have Dorky Miller and the Twigs.

The basketball program dominates the football program in body types improving dependably from year to year.

#5 Beverly is easily the most playground player within this program since I have followed, above Lonnie Walker. Everything Beverly does looks like it's designed to wow the next generation of aspiring playground legends on the sideline, those 13 years olds who hang out and attend every neighborhood game. The assistants talk to Beverly more than anyone else, since they know there is so much potential if he merely normalizes a little bit. Not every pass has to be a spin pass. Not everything needs to be an alley oop.

Beverly can use either hand and go both ways superior than anyone we've had. The program needs to work on his shooting mechanics because he's got that typical playground style of crossing over his face on release. Obviously the playground types think that looks cool because one after another adopts it.

#2 Wong is a more mature and normal version of Beverly. Not the upside but very intriguing.

DJ keeps hanging behind the perimeter offensively as if anything else would be a felony. Lousy first half for him other than rebounding, which improved last season and continues to be surprisingly strong. I hoped the rag tag lineup of late last season would convince DJ that he could continue to drive and explore occasionally, as he did during those games. Nope. Now that we've got a full lineup again he just stands back there waving for the ball so he can wing it as soon as it touches his hands.

Those referees today were calling nothing, especially under the basket. I wondered why it took so long for the Quinnipiac coach to complain toward a technical. As others have posted, if Miami plays defensively that way at Duke the double bonus will show before midway in each half and it will be basically double the score.

#23 indeed reminds me of a poor man's McClellan. Not nearly as explosive in the open court but maybe better outside shooting touch than when McClellan arrived. He needs to work on Beverly's outside mechanics to resemble his own.

Last edited:
Coach seems to want to play Sam and Rodney about 20 minutes each per game. I suspect he thinks (a) they are better than they've shown, and/or (b) one or both will improve.

My take is if they continue to play 40 minutes a game combined, without major improvement, we're finishing in the bottom three in the ACC.

Coach seems to want to play Sam and Rodney about 20 minutes each per game. I suspect he thinks (a) they are better than they've shown, and/or (b) one or both will improve.

My take is if they continue to play 40 minutes a game combined, without major improvement, we're finishing in the bottom three in the ACC.

As for (a) or (b), they’ve been in the program for a long time at this point, I don’t know how much more they can do.

There is no doubt that Rodney has “improved”, no question about it. But neither player should play 20 MPG. Neither player should be on our best lineup. Playing them (combined) 40 MPG will allow this team to underperform.

Not sure when or if Coach will feature a 4 guard lineup. But the guards on this team are our obvious strengths. Sam and Rodney are not good rebounders, they’re not good defenders. It is not like we’re taking a tremendous risk with a 4 guard lineup. I don’t understand why Coach will continue this low energy and unathletic lineup, then again, I don’t understand why Brooks is sitting out either (i.e. didn’t apply for a waiver).

The guards combined for 64 points tonight. That is where our talent lies.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back