10th on field coach

Advertisement
One of the main reasons Richt came here is because he wanted to call plays again. I do not think he is going to let go of those duties easily.

At least not until he has had 4 recruiting classes of his own players.

Let's assume that he refuses to let this go. Does that mean Richt shouldn't bring in a competent coach who can help him in this department?

As I previously stated... I actually think Richt can be much better if he fixed some obvious things and got some help. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting help; some of the best coaches (Saban) get help. Saban actually is a great defensive coach but he still goes out and gets great coaches to help him call plays and make decisions (especially personnel).

I don't see why someone needs 4 recruiting classes to see their flaws either.

No he doesnt. Well not on the defensive side..hes a micromanager as a coach.

[Sarcasm Warning]

You're right he doesn't go out and get great coaches (Pruitt, Smart, Dantonio, Muschamp etc.) to help him.

[Sarcasm Warning]

So you're saying that Saban doesn't get "help" from these coaches?

Please note: I am not saying these coaches are great HCs, I am saying they know how to coach a D.

Disagree. I think there is only one choice here. Ed Reed. Will be unstoppable on the trail and will get the team hype to play

What makes you think Reed would come to Miami? And what exactly would his role be? We already have full-time cornerbacks and safeties coaches in Banda and Rumph. We need an OC or a full-time special teams coach.

Part of Reed story and comments after Paradise

"In January, Reed wasn’t retained by new Bills coach Sean McDermott. He spent one year in Buffalo, his first coaching opportunity, under Rex Ryan, who was fired in December. Ryan, his former defensive coordinator with the Baltimore Ravens, predicted Reed would be a head coach one day.

After Al Golden’s dismissal in 2015, Reed was a popular choice among fans to return to Coral Gables as a coach. Does he have aspirations of coaching at Miami?

“Yeah, I definitely do,” he said. “You will see me here, you’ll hear about it, I guarantee it. If coach wants me, needs me to come here and help, I’m going to come here and watch film with the guys, talk to them. I’ve got a couple recruits here I would love to work with if they came here. That’s on them, that’s going to be on coach. I definitely will be back here helping out in some form or fashion.”

I think I remember Dan Morgan also, in an interview, expressed a willingness to return to the greens, in some capacity.
But that interview I believe was from last year. Possibly around the paradise camp timeline

LOL at Rick giving up play calling. And what makes Helfrich such a genius?

Either add a Briles disciple to teach the spread run game at an elite level. I remember seeing Sterlin Gilbert get that Foreman kid looking like a heisman candidate in one year.

If not that, then hire a grey beard ST genius from the NFL who might be out of work and would give us a distinct advantage in that third phase where we are horrible right now.

Or just find the hottest young recruiter and bring him in.

Seems the two most likely additions will be either a dedicated special teams coach. That would allow Harley to focus solely on TEs.

Or maybe a LB coach to lighten Diaz's load.

You all need to get OC out of your head.

Not going to happen with play calling such as it is.

Some said we weren't getting rid of Golden, too.

Advertisement

Either add a Briles disciple to teach the spread run game at an elite level. I remember seeing Sterlin Gilbert get that Foreman kid looking like a heisman candidate in one year.

If not that, then hire a grey beard ST genius from the NFL who might be out of work and would give us a distinct advantage in that third phase where we are horrible right now.

This.

We are recruiting at a very high level, that's not our deficiency, but an advantage in STs would be huge. We haven't blocked a kick or nor housed one all season. I am sure you have all noticed our margin of victory is slim this season. These are game changing plays we are lacking.

I disagree with majority of comments! Hiring OCs from Baylor or Ducks coaching tree will be a bad move. How many championships this system won, and notice how it has a direct impact on the defensive unit fatigue. I would hire within; such as, a graduate assistant who has demonstrated commitment to CMR's vision of building a solid program. The current offensive and defensive coaches and schemes are not the problem, because the skill level of the players limit certain calls.

We talk about Richts' play calling, but no one here are at practice to understand what the players are comfortable or successful executing. Rosier has only started 7 games his entire college career, and we expect CMR to call plays as a 3-year veteran. Basically, the OL is better at pass protection, and appears weak in short yardage power blocking. Rosier seems to be not trusted to change the play at the line of scrimmage, because I notice 8-9 in the box and he still stays with the run calls.

As for the defensive unit, depth and experience in the secondary have been the issue, but they are improving some. The LB unit is learning and gaining confidence. If Diaz decides to leave, then I would look for a Reed or formal player to take that role.

I never been a fan of a TE coach! If we have OL and WR coaches, what is the point of a TE coach. Either the TE work with the OL or WR coaches to gain experience in blocking and catching. I rather use that coach as a ST only, to include talented recruiter. Based on our coaching staff, the only position would be appropriate is at LB. Diaz is the DC who can provide his input when necessary.

Advertisement

Giving up play calling at UGA sucked all the life out of CMR. Up here in UGA land the biggest complaint fans had of Richt was that he had no fire or passion. They don't know who the **** is currently coaching the Canes, but they're certain it ain't the Mark Richt they chased out of Athens.

richt.gif

Agree on the ST coach - third facet of this team that needs work...KO coverage, returns, etc.

I hope Richt has the self awareness to bring in either an OC or some sort of offensive strategist.

Move Dugans to OC (Richt still calls plays) and hire Michael Johnson from Oregon as WR coach...

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'll say it again, I'd love to see a Briles disciple as an offensive assistant. There is no better system in the history of the game to open up the running game from spread sets.

Dumb people think Briles, and they think Air Raid. It's actually a run-first system. That Briles system would be unbelievably effective down here with the types of athletes we get.

I think Kendall Briles has had some big success with turning around the run game at FAU overnight.

Randy Shannon as lb coach if the UF program fires the coaches? I think that would be the best hire we can make.

Advertisement
Back