10th on field coach

Under Richt, an offensive coordinator is not going to happen. Calling the plays is why he took the job in the first place. After reading several of HurricaneVision's breakdowns, I'm not convinced play calling is the issue.

In almost any sport, baseball, basketball, football, whatever, bringing in a former "great" rarely works. I think maybe that things came so easy and so natural to them, they struggled communicating and developing others that weren't as talented as them and got frustrated easily.

The way things have been going, I think he'd be best served getting a dedicated special teams coach. Someone who really knows the ins and outs of it. Special teams are one third of the game, it's too important to be delegated as an part-time responsibility for a position coach that's already up to his ears in other responsibilities.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Unless there is a shakeup on the current staff, I can only envision 3 scenarios:

1. ST coach
2. LB coach to lighten load on Diaz
3. OC to call plays

3. is the least likely IMO because when Richt took the job he claimed the freedom of calling plays was a big draw.

LB coach it is. Nothing wrong with our offensive staff. If you know football, you know this. LB coach can make ST a more shared load as well.

Players gotta execute. It’s not complicated to understand. Wait for the breakdown, then read it. It’ll be a lot of words, but will make you smarter.

True, but in the Red Zone - Richt sucks.

Calling the same play two or three times in a row is just retarded.

Predictable? I was calling plays - and half the time I was right. And I'm not a Defensive Coordinator.

I honestly can't believe there are simps who still think that hiring a "dude" like Reed or Wayne just because they were a good player here is a smart idea.

We had Barrow, who actually IS a proven coach, and his position group was mediocre. Bring in a proven ST coach or LB coach, regardless of where they went to school. Get rid of people pulling double duty.

(Obviously an OC would make sense but Richt won't do it)

Advertisement
Players gotta execute. It’s not complicated to understand. Wait for the breakdown, then read it. It’ll be a lot of words, but will make you smarter.

True, but in the Red Zone - Richt sucks.

Calling the same play two or three times in a row is just retarded.

Predictable? I was calling plays - and half the time I was right. And I'm not a Defensive Coordinator.

Always ****es me off. If the players aren't executing, it's a ******* coaching issue. Unfortunately, we're stuck with Mark at OC until he's in a wheelchair, then he'll turn the keys over to Jonny Boy (ala Bowden) and we ******'.

Advertisement
I'm on the fence between LB coach and ST team coach because the LB has regressed a lot from last year but the ST is by far the worse unit on the team. On one side McCloud is playing slower then he was last year as a true freshman (how df does that happen) and up until the Duke game Pinckney was absent. Pinckney gap discipline hasn't been any good either same with McCloud. I'd like a LB coach who can develop these guys into All-ACC LBs if not All Americans. It also feels like our LB aren't being taught basic **** like flowing with the offense or jamming TEs in that 5 yard area on a consistent basis. On the other side, our ST blocking and our kickoff coverage might be one of the worse units in CFB. Gun to my head I would go with the coach that can recruit the best.

Last edited:
Short bus team could definitely be better. That’s one coaching criticism I’m all on board with. That said, I ain’t telling coach H to his face. That dudes an asassin.

I think an OC would help tremendously, I like Sterlin Gilbert from USF but Richt is never going to let go of playcalling.

I would keep Hartley as the full time TE's coach & bring in a ST's Coach whose an additional top flight recruiter.

We already recruit at a High level, but adding another Crootin Capo to the Family would only make things perfect.

If it's going to be a Special Teams Coach, you can pretty much add just about anybody, some names I would look at:
Blue Adams, Willie Martinez (Former Cane who coached with Richt for nearly a decade at UGA), or see if Ed Reed, Ken Dorsey or any other alumni with experience would be interested.

Would also kick the tires on Bryan McClendon strictly for recruiting purposes.

idk how much he'd be interested but if i could have anyone i wanted id want Ray Lewis hired as our LB coach, hes a miami and nfl legend, one of the best linebackers of all time, and hes an instantly recognizable face that would help in recruiting, also hes one of the best motivators of all time.

Advertisement
idk how much he'd be interested but if i could have anyone i wanted id want Ray Lewis hired as our LB coach, hes a miami and nfl legend, one of the best linebackers of all time, and hes an instantly recognizable face that would help in recruiting, also hes one of the best motivators of all time.

Easily, recognizable faces don't win recruiting battles.
Lots of hard work involved.
I swear, I think some of our fans think one of our former UM greats can walk into any recruit's living room and there
will be an intense white light radiating in the living room, a halo on the UM great and moma will be pulling her panties off.

I swear, I think some of our fans think one of our former UM greats can walk into any recruit's living room and there
will be an intense white light radiating in the living room, a halo on the UM great and moma will be pulling her panties off.

so your telling me you think that Ray Lewis wouldnt be a good recruiter?

so your telling me you think that Ray Lewis wouldnt be a good recruiter?

I have no idea what kind of recruiter he would be.
Lewis is a multi-millionaire who doesn't have to do any hard work for the rest of
his life if he so chooses.
The job of a college football coach requires a considerable amount of hours of coaching,
recruiting, and so on....and it requires adult males to go around the country, courting and
**** kissing teenagers.
That's not a job for everyone, especially for people who don't need to put up with that
nonsense.
A school like UM should be hiring proven coaches and recruiters.
Former players would be cool if they're willing to put in the work, but they need to learn
the trade elsewhere before coming to their alma-mater.

Advertisement
Honestly thinking about it, I don't think Richt needs to give up play calling duties. While he obviously isn't perfect and the offense does get into some lulls due to playcalling, I honestly think Richt has been limited by the QBs. With Kaaya Richt clearly couldn't do what he wanted because dude had absolutely no athletic ability at all. With Rosier, he has limited ability to read a play. We really need to hope Nkosi or Cade are the answer for us long term. Sits isn't and I hope he isn't even in this class come December.

As far as what I'd do if I was in control of the situation:
1. Fire baby Richt and hire a new qb coach.
2. Either take Hartley off TE's or off ST. TE's are playing well, and ST's haven't been, so maybe keep him on TE's.
3. Either hire a LB coach or ST/TE coach (depending on what Hartley primarily is). Ideally I'd hire a ST coach who could also serve as an offensive analyst or something. So basically he coaches ST, but 80% of his time is spent scheming for the next opponent and helping Richt/Thomas Brown gameplan. Then put him in the Booth and let him breakdown what the defense is doing and what is open etc. (and during gameday Hartley can still be that on-field presence)

Last edited:
Id like Rumph to absorb the Safeties and coach all DBs. Move Banda to LB since he knows exactly what Diaz wants.

Whoever the 10th coach is, they need to be our Brewster in that they need to know theyre there just to recruit. We can get creative w the title and add Co whatever, but they need to understand what theyre here for.

I could see Richt bringing Scott back to coach TE and having Hartley focus exclusively on ST.

Richt tried to keep Scott.

Advertisement
Back