1 on 1 DL vs OL drills.

Advertisement
remember the 91 team that blew Nebraska out of the Orange Bowl. Our starting defensive tackles were Miller and Hamlet, I don't think either one weigh more than 250: those big Nebraska linemen (300 plus) couldn't put a hand on them. I really thought we were going to get gash, guess you can't hit what you can't catch.
My point exactly. "Slightly" smaller but quicker DL can beat a bigger heavier OL if coached right. I'm tired of 100000000000 post about our lighter DL. We know that dammit!

The freeze frame is kind of unfair. The full rep shows him strike on a base block against a 5 tech and get pretty good initial movement. If you are the DE on this, you want to fight pressure with pressure, set the edge and not get knocked back.

The reaching you are referring to is the upward strike he's being taught in the double under technique. Zion won this rep.
Basically what I was gonna say.

Basically what I was gonna say.
1650385562219.png

The freeze frame is kind of unfair. The full rep shows him strike on a base block against a 5 tech and get pretty good initial movement. If you are the DE on this, you want to fight pressure with pressure, set the edge and not get knocked back.

The reaching you are referring to is the upward strike he's being taught in the double under technique. Zion won this rep.
Thank you for this. I wasn't sure where having that good pop on the hit started and the reaching began because I thought leaning too far forward could be reaching as well.

In this sort of instance would he use this technique for turning the end and working his butt towards the inside on an inside run?

Advertisement
I always wondered how different ppl watch the games..like I watch the ball no matter if we are on offense or defense but every once in awhile I’ll watch the linebackers or the oline
I watch the lines especially early on in the game. Los rarely lies , you’ll know pretty fast who’s better in the trenches . Which normally means who’s better. All though a special qb can alter that aspect.

I watch the lines especially early on in the game. Los rarely lies , you’ll know pretty fast who’s better in the trenches . Which normally means who’s better. All though a special qb can alter that aspect.
That's a great point...I guess for most fans the trenches may be boring and finding who has the ball is simple

What Chantz lacks is any counter moves. It looks like his brain shuts down if an OT initially has him beat.
That was Charles Harris to a T when he was with the dolphins. He made a living in college on just having one really good move and beating his man. In the pros he'd get shut down and then he would try a counter but it was like slow motion. Now that he's with the Lions I think he's actually gotten better. But he was pretty useless when he was with the phins.

Advertisement
He is 100% a rush end and a run stopping edge setter. No way this guy is expected to be a sack getter.
It's fine defense are made that way, players are supposed to be put in positions where their talents are good for and needed.
We just need that quick end player that creates sacks, I'm still looking haha
He currently weighs 210 pounds. At nearly 6’ 6”.

Thank you for this. I wasn't sure where having that good pop on the hit started and the reaching began because I thought leaning too far forward could be reaching as well.

In this sort of instance would he use this technique for turning the end and working his butt towards the inside on an inside run?
That is exactly what he did on this rep. You wouldn't exactly turn your butt inside though as that would take up space in the running lane. Think of it as driving the defender while maintaining leverage.

/I'm just a washed up HS OL coach but conversations like this are enjoyable for me. If this interests you, get on youtube and type in "OL clinics" and you can find a ton of great stuff from multiple levels of coaching.

That is exactly what he did on this rep. You wouldn't exactly turn your butt inside though as that would take up space in the running lane. Think of it as driving the defender while maintaining leverage.

/I'm just a washed up HS OL coach but conversations like this are enjoyable for me. If this interests you, get on youtube and type in "OL clinics" and you can find a ton of great stuff from multiple levels of coaching.
The small technical things are pretty impressive when done correctly but hard to learn how to spot as a fan. I’ve always heard one thing that makes Saban so great is how insanely detailed he is about how he wants his OL to block and how he wants his DBs to defend. Even down to detailed hand placement for each group on the OL

Advertisement
The small technical things are pretty impressive when done correctly but hard to learn how to spot as a fan. I’ve always heard one thing that makes Saban so great is how insanely detailed he is about how he wants his OL to block and how he wants his DBs to defend. Even down to detailed hand placement for each group on the OL
I’d say that’s half true. He’s hands on with the db’s. You can find clips all over YouTube of that. He knows what’s going on with the offense but he’s not giving an OL coach a handbook on how he wants it done. Especially given the wide range of guys he’s hired for that position over the years.

Yeah and he had some moments in the spring game. If Nesta could have ever learned to use his hands like Miller does he could have been an All-American.

Miller uses his hands the best i seen of our interior D-lineman. Id like to see him beside LT

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back