1 on 1 DL vs OL drills.

The d-line ain’t that small you acting like the DTs are 240. In 2018 the starting DTs was 300 and 280 and that defense was 4th in cfb.
remember the 91 team that blew Nebraska out of the Orange Bowl. Our starting defensive tackles were Miller and Hamlet, I don't think either one weigh more than 250: those big Nebraska linemen (300 plus) couldn't put a hand on them. I really thought we were going to get gash, guess you can't hit what you can't catch.

Advertisement
I get recruiting big guys, but give me the ones who execute the fundamentals right.

He is 100% a rush end and a run stopping edge setter. No way this guy is expected to be a sack getter.
It's fine defense are made that way, players are supposed to be put in positions where their talents are good for and needed.
We just need that quick end player that creates sacks, I'm still looking haha
Hopefully Agude brings us some of that. Still need 1 more guy.

The d-line ain’t that small you acting like the DTs are 240. In 2018 the starting DTs was 300 and 280 and that defense was 4th in cfb.
Yeah people forget that lol, mcintosh was no bigger than 280 at Miami and he was productive. Same with willis in 2018

Yeah people forget that lol, mcintosh was no bigger than 280 at Miami and he was productive. Same with willis in 2018
Then we’re good to go and stout enough it was a concernI see it’s not , now we just have to solve catching the football.

GOCANES

Advertisement
It is what it is and that is we are SMALL up front on D .
It will our #2 issue compared to #1 we can’t catch a football on O
You can fix catching the ball easier than fixing size on the D line. Where's the beef!! Portal help hopefully.

remember the 91 team that blew Nebraska out of the Orange Bowl. Our starting defensive tackles were Miller and Hamlet, I don't think either one weigh more than 250: those big Nebraska linemen (300 plus) couldn't put a hand on them. I really thought we were going to get gash, guess you can't hit what you can't catch.
The one place on CIS not complaining about DTs. I aint mad at a little optimism. I've seen JHH and Leonard Taylor flash before so if a better defense and better coaching can make that consistent we may have something. Of course I'll celebrate if we get a transfer too.

I get the concern with the DL, but also let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We play in the ACC (Coastal) not the SEC West. This team is years away from the CFP. But the Coastal and giving Clemson a scare in the title game is a legit goal.

And before someone brings up the disaster against North Carolina, Steele isn't going to watch them run the same play over and over without adjusting.

Advertisement
Looks like the beginning of the period was run blocking/edge setting. After the first few cycles it moved to pass rush.

I was high on Rodriguez coming out. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It's still early but geez.
McLaughlin got zero lead in his pencil right now also.

Miller easily looked like the best interior guy.
Question since I dont know ****.. At :40 in the video, when you hear people talk about an OLman reaching, is this what they are talking about? Or is this good form for attacking and leaning on the defender in run blocking? I wasn't sure since Zion is initiating that contact but hasn't engaged his hands.
1650378534907.png

My eyes see differently on those drills, frankly speaking OL isn’t much better seeing on some drills these DL gets some penetration .

There just isn’t any huge dudes you need on D1 DL .

I just don’t see it

GOCANES
We not winning a championship this year. We have enough to navigate the acc until this thing gets built

Willis was 300 his last year but he just had put that weight on. Bethel was starting at NT at 280

Advertisement
Question since I dont know ****.. At :40 in the video, when you hear people talk about an OLman reaching, is this what they are talking about? Or is this good form for attacking and leaning on the defender in run blocking? I wasn't sure since Zion is initiating that contact but hasn't engaged his hands.
View attachment 182680
The freeze frame is kind of unfair. The full rep shows him strike on a base block against a 5 tech and get pretty good initial movement. If you are the DE on this, you want to fight pressure with pressure, set the edge and not get knocked back.

The reaching you are referring to is the upward strike he's being taught in the double under technique. Zion won this rep.

Advertisement
Ryan Rodriguez was getting moved by everyone. He honestly doesn’t even present enough of a challenge for our Dline to work against.
Can't remember seeing a kid in a red non-contact jersey play in a scrimmage.

Nice video. I was OC but coached the OL when I was coaching. FYI don't any scheme work if you can't block. The DL reps and coaching will help more than most think. I've seen smaller quick DL win. I think it was the Broncos who won a SB with an undersized DL. Point is it can work and we have no choice till we recruit bigger DLinemen.

• QB- Avg. Height: 75.43 in Avg. Weight: 224.97 lbs • RB- Avg. Height: 70.73 in Avg. Weight: 214.48 lbs • WR- Avg. Height: 72.40 in Avg. Weight: 200.32 lbs • TE- Avg. Height: 76.54 in Avg. Weight: 254.26 lbs • FB- Avg. Height: 72.33 in Avg. Weight: 244.43 lbs • OL- Avg. Height: 76.75 in Avg. Weight: 314.16 lbs • DB- Avg. Height: 71.69 in Avg. Weight: 200.10 lbs • LB- Avg. Height: 74.04 in Avg. Weight: 244.64 lbs • DE- Avg. Height: 75.82 in Avg. Weight: 278.99 lbs • DT- Avg. Height: 75.22 in Avg. Weight: 308.97 lbs

Advertisement
Back