1/15: @ NCST 7:00PM (ACC Network)

These coaching changes should have been addressed a long time ago. @casualcane and I have been discussing.

I will read and comment on those threads soon but I did recommend Miami go after Billy Donovan for its next head basketball coach in the Summer when it looked like OKC was heading into rebuild mode.

In fairness, Coach L probably has the rest of this season and maybe next season before this becomes a reality.

My top 3 choices to be the next head basketball coach at Miami :

Craig Smith at Utah State
Michael Huger at Bowling Green
Eric Kongol at Louisiana Tech

Yes, I have thought about it also.

Advertisement
I will read and comment on those threads soon but I did recommend Miami go after Billy Donovan for its next head basketball coach in the Summer when it looked like OKC was heading into rebuild mode.

In fairness, Coach L probably has the rest of this season and maybe next season before this becomes a reality.

I’d like to see some new assistants at a minimum next year.

We all know L is loyal to his assistants, but a change is in order

Advertisement
I’d like to see L evaluate the staff after the season for sure.

Too much loyalty for me

The issue is Coach L.
It starts with his failure to use all of his scholarships for the past 7 seasons.
Also, this crazy idea of starting Rodney Miller this season.
Also, this ball screen or die offense needs some more options and sets.
The Anthony Walker situation tells me his teaching methods are outdated.

Coach L and some of the other fans may be looking forward to next season due to the Rodney Miller and Nysier Brooks combo but I am not sold on it.

Miami needs two bigs who can defend, rebound and bring some athleticism to the frontcourt with the last two scholarships.
I couldn't agree more and love all the reporting/posting you do of recruitment "possibilities". Thanks.

I somehow get a kick (for lack of a better word) out of posters saying "yeah i dont mind taking him (Cliff, for example) or someone else on the portal or recruitment horizon. I say "kick" because it's a real kick in the face when player after player that Miami is going after, or should go after, especially bigs, says "uhhh no thanks" (with very few exceptions.) Even if we poster fans are "willing" to take them.

This is ACC and Coach L is legendary and Miami is not a bad place to spend (1 thru) four years, so why such a hard time getting these guys to say yes?

I want to get behind this team because I can see Improvememt by individual players. I can’t get behind L and this staff. They are a bunch of chumps. The offensive system I have to watch night in and night out is a travesty. Between the 1 on 1 basketball he promotes and the lack of sets in the half court OR ON INBOUND PLAYS I can’t support him any longer. I have felt this way for years but this year and last year is enough for me. I want them all gone

I’d like to see some new assistants at a minimum next year.

We all know L is loyal to his assistants, but a change is in order

Caputo and Fisher are good recruiters. Coach L has final say on the roster.
I don't know what Bill Courtney brings to the table. A big man coach is definitely lacking on the staff.

Advertisement
I couldn't agree more and love all the reporting/posting you do of recruitment "possibilities". Thanks.

I somehow get a kick (for lack of a better word) out of posters saying "yeah i dont mind taking him (Cliff, for example) or someone else on the portal or recruitment horizon. I say "kick" because it's a real kick in the face when player after player that Miami is going after, or should go after, especially bigs, says "uhhh no thanks" (with very few exceptions.) Even if we poster fans are "willing" to take them.

This is ACC and Coach L is legendary and Miami is not a bad place to spend (1 thru) four years, so why such a hard time getting these guys to say yes?

It goes back to my first paragraph. I think Coach L is fine with the idea of the Rodney Miller, Nysier Brooks and Deng Gak.
I don't have all the details but coaches have to sell playing time to get recruits and I am not sure Coach L is doing that.
He should be.

Not that it’s happening, but I’d throw some money at Gregg Marshall or Randy Bennett now that Musselman is off the table

1. Billy is still employed in the NBA. We're not getting an employed NBA HC.

2. Craig Smith is an interesting name. Youngish, recent success but I'd like to seem him have similar success (win the MVC) and make the NCAAT again.

My guess is you brought up the next two because they've been here under L and not because of actual accomplishments.

3. Huger at Bowling Green. BGU was a pretty bad program and then Jans made them something much better. Next Huger came and regressed for three years and then came 2018-19. Pretty darn good season. I'd like to see him win the conference and make the tourney before he is considered.

4. Konkol at LT. Younger than Huger and Smith. Konkol replaced White who built LT. White had much more success than Konkol but he never made the NCAAT. Same with Huger, you want to see these guys from inferior conferences have a lot of success (e.g. win their conference and make the NCAAT before they're seriously considered. This isn't an absolute, but it should be considered heavily.

Advertisement
I want to get behind this team because I can see Improvememt by individual players. I can’t get behind L and this staff. They are a bunch of chumps. The offensive system I have to watch night in and night out is a travesty. Between the 1 on 1 basketball he promotes and the lack of sets in the half court OR ON INBOUND PLAYS I can’t support him any longer. I have felt this way for years but this year and last year is enough for me. I want them all gone

As much as Beverly has played, he hasn’t gotten any better and that concerns me. He’s a walking turnover and we can’t afford to have him playing the type of minutes he played tonight. He looks lost out there.

1. Billy is still employed in the NBA. We're not getting an employed NBA HC.

2. Craig Smith is an interesting name. Youngish, recent success but I'd like to seem him have similar success (win the MVC) and make the NCAAT again.

My guess is you brought up the next two because they've been here under L and not because of actual accomplishments.

3. Huger at Bowling Green. BGU was a pretty bad program and then Jans made them something much better. Next Huger came and regressed for three years and then came 2018-19. Pretty darn good season. I'd like to see him win the conference and make the tourney before he is considered.

4. Konkol at LT. Younger than Huger and Smith. Konkol replaced White who built LT. White had much more success than Konkol but he never made the NCAAT. Same with Huger, you want to see these guys from inferior conferences have a lot of success (e.g. win their conference and make the NCAAT before they're seriously considered. This isn't an absolute, but it should be considered heavily.

You are correct. Originally, I thought Billy Donovan would have resigned or been fired by now so he is not an option.
Honestly, I want Coach L finish this season strong and make a post season tournament then sign two bigs and compete for the ACC next season while making a deep run in the NCAA tournament.
If the current trend continues and Miami has a second consecutive losing season, Coach L does not sign anymore players then has another losing season then the change will be made. That would be 3 consecutive losing seasons and no coach can survive that.
That is a two year plan so all of your questions about Craig Smith, Michael Huger and Craig Konkol will be answered.
One thing is for sure, I would not under any circumstance extend Coach L's contract.

Advertisement
Not that it’s happening, but I’d throw some money at Gregg Marshall or Randy Bennett now that Musselman is off the table

Obviously Gregg Marshall is a name that should be considered first. Charles Koch seems to have the ability to keep him at WSU.

Bennett has accomplished a lot. He is a good coach, only coached at St. Mary's. I think he makes less than $1MM/season.

--------------

Here are some other names to consider, in no particular order:

1. Scott Nagy

2. Kevin Willard (44)

3. T.J. Otzelberger (42)

4. Wes Miller (36)

5. Chris Jans

6. Matt McMahon (41) - Hired by Konkol

Some of these guys are insanely cheap too.

Last edited:
Obviously Gregg Marshall is a name that should be considered first. Charles Koch seems to have the ability to keep him at WSU.

Bennett has accomplished a lot. He is a good coach, only coached at St. Mary's. I think he makes less than $1MM/season.

--------------

Here are some other names to consider, in particular order:

1. Scott Nagy

2. Kevin Willard (44)

3. T.J. Otzelberger (42)

4. Wes Miller (36)

5. Chris Jans

6. Matt McMahon (41) - Hired by Konkol

Some of these guys are insanely cheap too.

Living in Carolina, I can tell you for sure that Wes Miller will only coach two ACC schools (Wake Forest or North Carolina).
He is waiting on either of those two jobs before he lives UNCG.

Once was enough for me but this is for anyone who wants to watch the game again.
I can only watch a bad loss once.

Advertisement
Back