1/15: @ NCST 7:00PM (ACC Network)

Advertisement
This team is bad, but this might have been Coach L’s worst coaching job of the season

What was our gameplan? Our offense was even more stagnant than usual. We couldn’t even execute simple inbounds plays. Just sloppy, disinterested, lazy basketball

Also, Beverly is the laziest player we’ve ever had. He refuses to dive for loose balls, he throws some of the worst most half assed passes, and he jogs on defense. He has no heart or hustle, and it’s a shame because he’s very talented.

As much as Beverly has played, he hasn’t gotten any better and that concerns me. He’s a walking turnover and we can’t afford to have him playing the type of minutes he played tonight. He looks lost out there.
I actually think Wong is the worst of them all. His game look atrocious right now whether he is a freshman or not. Plays with zero control

Also, I understand we have NO depth but going off recruiting rankings alone (I know that doesn't mean everything) this team should be much much better. L needs to figure this **** out by hiring QUALITY assistants and or hanging it up. This has been an ugly ugly 4 seasons starting with the most talented team that Miami will ever have that him and the coaching staff completely wasted.

Advertisement
I will read and comment on those threads soon but I did recommend Miami go after Billy Donovan for its next head basketball coach in the Summer when it looked like OKC was heading into rebuild mode.

In fairness, Coach L probably has the rest of this season and maybe next season before this becomes a reality.

My top 3 choices to be the next head basketball coach at Miami :

Craig Smith at Utah State
Michael Huger at Bowling Green
Eric Kongol at Louisiana Tech

Yes, I have thought about it also.
I don't trust Blake James to make any new hire for UM. I hope James is fired before we have to make this decision or when Larranaga decides to retire.

Would definitely like to see quality minutes from the freshmen.

Was thinking after the first half of the Pitt game, Bev would be banished to the same doghouse as Walker.

Freshmen need to play to get better, hopefully this is an ongoing process
I agree. L should focus on developing the freshmen at this point, with the objective of one or two developing enough to keep Miller on the bench (for spot use as the game dictates). Think we're all OK with calling this a rebuilding year.

I actually think Wong is the worst of them all. His game look atrocious right now whether he is a freshman or not. Plays with zero control

Control is not his issue. He has 2 turnovers in his last 4 games (compared to Beverly's 10, in fewer minutes). His turnover rate, while still high at 20.6%, has been steadily improving. Beverly's turnover rate, at 26.6%, is not only unbelievably high, but somehow getting worse.

He also plays good D without fouling, and makes hustle plays.

The problem with Wong is he just can't make shots. He's 17-57 for the year, and a lot of his misses in recent games have been wide open looks.

I don't trust Blake James to make any new hire for UM. I hope James is fired before we have to make this decision or when Larranaga decides to retire.

Nor do I. If the bottom falls out next season where the football team goes 6-6 and the men's basketball team does not make the NCAA tournament then I expect huge changes to occur in the athletic department.
Firing the AD makes it easier to replace the football and basketball coach. The easy excuse is that the new AD wants to hire his own coaches

Advertisement
Control is not his issue. He has 2 turnovers in his last 4 games (compared to Beverly's 10, in fewer minutes). His turnover rate, while still high at 20.6%, has been steadily improving. Beverly's turnover rate, at 26.6%, is not only unbelievably high, but somehow getting worse.

The problem with Wong is he just can't make shots. He's 17-57 for the year, and a lot of his misses in recent games have been wide open looks.

I have not lost confidence in Wong nor Beverly. I think they will develop into a very good backcourt soon.
At some point, we have to evaluate the player development skills of the coaching staff.

I agree. L should focus on developing the freshmen at this point, with the objective of one or two developing enough to keep Miller on the bench (for spot use as the game dictates). Think we're all OK with calling this a rebuilding year.

I am not only because there are still enough wins available on the schedule to make a post season tournament.
This 7 man rotation Coach L is determine to use is stupid. There were multiple opportunities to play Anthony Walker against NC State.

I don't see a ACC caliber player when watching wong. Yes I know he is a freshman. I see it with Beverly.

Advertisement
I don't see a ACC caliber player when watching wong. Yes I know he is a freshman. I see it with Beverly.
I'm in general agreement but not quite ready to write Wong off totally. At the end of the season, I think it'll have become clearer. Newton (his fellow Philly recruit) couldn't hit many outside shots either as a true frosh.

Is there an alternative? If scholarships had been used properly the past several years, this wouldn't have to be a rebuilding year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back