#0 Thornton is shades of…..

Eh he’s playing like a liability at times. He’s definitely better than Harris but his coverage ability leaves a lot to be desired and his tackling is not anywhere near what I expected It to be. I’m somewhat okay with his blitzing
I hear you with criticizing Thorton. He has struggled big time tackling, finishing sacks, and covering.

With all of that, comparing him to Jaden Harris was ridiculous. Jaden Harris would just run up to the ball, then completely slow down to make a tackle and allow everyone to run right by him and He had the brain of a rock.
 
Cmon B. The Byrum Brown stuff was frustrating and Thornton’s has limitations but chill ;)
 
Thorton seems to be the latest punching bag for CIS.

Deserved in many ways but you all know players can improve as a season goes on right?
 
I’ll take the limitations of him not being great in coverage and guarding guys in space…

If he can just tackle guys in space.

he’s a a poor tackler in the open field. I’ve counted almost 100 yards of YAC on missed tackles by him.
 
Having him out in space tackling is no bueno. Its one of the things I really miss about Keionte Scott. I will always remember Keionte's tackle against Marcell Reed out in space. With all the injuries we have, we just have to hope he improves as the season goes on.
 
He’s 1 million times better than Jaden Harris. Harris couldn’t play the run like him if his life dependent on it.
At least Thornton gets to the right place. He might not make the tackle but he at least knows where is is supposed to be. Harris always looked like he was playing a completely different defense then everyone else and even actively ran the opposite way that the ball was going from what I remember.
 
major exaggeration and Wesco put a dirty move on him, sometimes ya just have to acknowledge the talent. i don't recall him missing a bunch of tackles other than not bringing down Gio. i would prefer to move Fitz back to nickel when X comes back and use Thornton less in coverage.
his "tackling" has been horrific, do you watch the games? The Nickel is a major cog in the D and he is the weakest link
 
Thornton is a (much) better version of Amari Carter
**** no!!! Amari wasn’t missing tackles like this guy! lol. Amari’s downside was hitting guys too high and getting penalized for it. He would be there in coverage and just hit a ninjah in the head 😂
 
So what I saw in the game was that Thornton was asked to play a more traditional safety role for much of the game, and Poyser was playing the Nickel, and Day was the deep safety, often in a single-high look.
I’m not defending the tackling, but Thornton is not playing his best position at safety unless he is in the box basically all the time.

One thing we have to remember is that sometimes coaches are forced to play guys in less than ideal spots, and it impacts the success the player has. Sometimes it is not the fault of the player, or even coach. Injuries have created some wonky lineups.

To use a basketball analogy, if the Heat are forced to play Giannis at PG because of injuries, and he struggles, does that mean Giannis is no good, or that Giannis is not a good PG, but remains a very good PF? Every player has limitations.
 
Back
Top