#0 Thornton is shades of…..

I swear people on here bash players to prove they know what they’re watching or something. Jaden Harris, lol
Thornton has likely already made more tackles this season than Harris did in an entire season. We were historically bad with Harris on the back end.
 
So what I saw in the game was that Thornton was asked to play a more traditional safety role for much of the game, and Poyser was playing the Nickel, and Day was the deep safety, often in a single-high look.
I’m not defending the tackling, but Thornton is not playing his best position at safety unless he is in the box basically all the time.

One thing we have to remember is that sometimes coaches are forced to play guys in less than ideal spots, and it impacts the success the player has. Sometimes it is not the fault of the player, or even coach. Injuries have created some wonky lineups.

To use a basketball analogy, if the Heat are forced to play Giannis at PG because of injuries, and he struggles, does that mean Giannis is no good, or that Giannis is not a good PG, but remains a very good PF? Every player has limitations.
correct. With all that said, he needs to button up the tackling, he has been a train wreck
 
He's definitely better than Jaden Harris, at least the full season Jaden had at safety.

But obviously there's weaknesses to his game.
 
@Brooklyndee @Coach Macho @gogeta4

What is with Thornton's breakdown in the open field tackling situations?

Mental? Physical?

The young man is clearly a D1 athlete and belongs.

To me, it appears he over pursues and runner takes advantage.

Why is he struggling and how to correct?
 
I’m not sure why Thornton gets all the heat , we’re an atrocious tackling team. JJ has alot too but he’s a Fr. Not surprising. We average double digit missed tackles every game. That’s one of our biggest issues I’ve been griping about. We luckily haven’t played anyone with can make us pay for them.
 
Last edited:
So what I saw in the game was that Thornton was asked to play a more traditional safety role for much of the game, and Poyser was playing the Nickel, and Day was the deep safety, often in a single-high look.
I’m not defending the tackling, but Thornton is not playing his best position at safety unless he is in the box basically all the time.

One thing we have to remember is that sometimes coaches are forced to play guys in less than ideal spots, and it impacts the success the player has. Sometimes it is not the fault of the player, or even coach. Injuries have created some wonky lineups.

To use a basketball analogy, if the Heat are forced to play Giannis at PG because of injuries, and he struggles, does that mean Giannis is no good, or that Giannis is not a good PG, but remains a very good PF? Every player has limitations.
Can Giannis play LG/RG for our Miami Hurricanes?

Get him to Greentree pronto...kick the tires.
 
If only Pringle was getting more snaps, Thornton wouldn't even be an after thought.....

Run Away Nuclear Bomb GIF by Identity
 
I’m just thinking about that Wesco play and the td he gave up vs wake forest where the receiver ran by him and several other coverage hiccups that game. I do Think he’s okay near the box but in space and in coverage? Idk
I am in wait and see mode with him man... the coaches see what we see but I do feel he is playing out of position. Like is Bryce the best CB on the roster? No. Is he a good enough CB to be better than the rest of the guys? Yes. Is he an elite safety? Also yes.

I think wait 2 weeks assuming Lucas is back. If lucas comes back and we can shift Bryce to nickel and let Thorton be the SS in the box as a blitzer and run support, I think he excels. he is leading the team in tackles. Then on passing downs he does off the field and JJ comes in. He is also an enforcer (albeit reckless at times nd hurting our own guys) but he is a tone setter in the secondary like Jakobe and unsure if we have someone like that in the secondary right now. Poysner is a sure tackler but he just murders your inside leg and gets you to the ground and does his job, Omar is out head hunting.
 
Two of them (Ivey and Bell) started in the NFL last week.

Good God you're banging this drum louder than the Arch drum these days.

Let's add some context..... DJ made his FIRST career start for the Bengals because their pass D sux and they did some tinkering in the secondary. This is his 4th season in the league. He has a career PFF grade of about 50.

Markel started because Lane Johnson suprise-retired earlier than anticipated and his backup was out with injury. Markel played fairly well and shouldn't necessarily be lumped together with DJ Ivey for several reasons, starting with the amount of time he received criticism at UM. Most of the fans were in his corner last year, certainly by the end of his time here. Markel was a 3rd rounder, not a seventh.

I know it sounds like I'm hating on DJ, but I'm not. I'm hating on this victim card being laid out on behalf of DJ Ivey coupled with this notion that he's some sort of baller in the league. After some evidence, you backed off (slightly and temporarily I suspect) the Arch Trombone and I'm hoping you'll back off this DJ Ivey blame game.
 
Back
Top