🚨 BREAKING NEWS - Ponce back to App State 🚨

Advertisement
I realize he was just canned as the OC. But Brandon Streeter is worthh pursuing as a Qb coach (if the new OC doesn't serve that tole.or wa t tk bring in his own). Beast recruiter as well.

@TheOriginalCane When people say Mario is letting guys find a landing spot, this makes sense. Step down in level, but back to calling plays and more responsibility. Hopefully the next move that is not quite a step up happens soon (and hopefully a couple more soon thereafter).

Yessir, agreed. I truly DO understand the concern people have that "letting guys find a landing spot" is taking so long (6 or 7 or 8 weeks, depending on how it is measured).

The only problem we seem to have is civil discourse on this subject. The moment you point out WHAT MARIO IS DOING, you get hammered for "making excuses" or "defending Mario". You and I talked for two hours, you know I have some concerns with a few things that Mario has done.

I do hope that Gattis and Ponce succeed elsewhere. I think Mario has a good eye for football playing and coaching talent, even if not every guy is a perfect fit.

I wish that certain porsters weren't repetitively screaming for November blood to satiate their feels, but it looks like all the rational explanations in the world won't change that. Oh well.

You and I also spoke about the massive cluster**** of events that are jamming up December and January right now, related to both player movement and coaching changes. It's just too complex and unmanageable.

Universities which pay multi-millions in coaching salaries deserved to have their employees remain employed through the end of the bowl games. Maybe the NCAA needs to change the rules, to allow this new army of "analysts" to be given battlefield promotions to "on-field coaches" and "in-home recruiters" during the silly season of coaching changes in December-January.

The current system is just chaos.

And for the record, this is reason # 8,479 why I hate the worthless bowl games. Too spread out, too meaningless, a ridiculous fluffy extension to a tight regular season. And then you have an unnatural divide between the teams whose seasons end in late November (and are obviously looking to upgrade) and the teams that continue playing garbage ESPN-money-grubbing games into January.

It's chaotic crap.

Last edited:
I never said I wanted Herm Edwards... I asked a question if that style of team building would work here.View attachment 225231

Look, Mack, if you want a definition of your cluelessness...look no farther than your poor memory and descriptions of what you did wrong.

You just said "you asked a question" about whether this model would work, but your porst clearly stats that you think "this model would work here".

Just as you whined about how people portrayed your comments on Arroyo. You innocently declare that you just "suggested" Arroyo, but your posts actually said that he was the odds-on favorite and the leader in the clubhouse.

And stop asking us to "provide 5 examples". We've been doing that for years. Calling you out on your terrible porsts IMMEDIATELY. And now you are acting surprised and challenging us to "provide 5 examples"?

THIS IS A HUGE PART OF THE PROBLEM. You always try to minimize and re-spin what you said into something far more innocent after people mock what you actually said.

Just stop. Stop trying to post your hot takes, and then claiming they were mere suggestions after you are criticized.

Advertisement
Do people honestly think there’s a real difference between “you’re fired” vs “you should find another job because we’re looking for your replacement”?

How about you go out and try to find another job after being fired (and acknowledging that firing in your job application and/or interview, if you can get one), and then you can tell us if there is a difference.

Advertisement
This was expected. Next shoe will drop soon.
Changing Season 9 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

He sucked at his job here. QBs weren't prepared and that's on him.

Or maybe, just maybe.....he was part of a staff that was not aligned with what they were trying to do on offense...a problem amplified when half of your starters are down with injuries. Conversely, his offenses at Appalachian State scored points and gave significant problems to teams with superior talent. And he did this over the years with various QBs. Easy to blame coaches, and we here at CIS are good at this, but sometimes there is more to the story.

How about you go out and try to find another job after being fired (and acknowledging that firing in your job application and/or interview, if you can get one), and then you can tell us if there is a difference.
How about you tell me another job in the real world that pays you millions but tells you to go look for another job due to obvious bad performance that is publicly known, and they keep paying you until you do. And even if you don’t, they’ll just keep you on

If they wanted to go this route, all they had to do was mutually part ways publicly and gattis could have said it was a philosophical difference for the parting or some other BS, even though not a single coach would believe it wasn’t mainly due to the offense’s bad performance this year. He has to answer the question on why he left either way.

And Miami wouldn’t hire any fired coaches right? How many of our current coaches haven’t been fired at some point in their career? Sometimes when you have to face reality, you learn from those mistakes or hard lessons and you improve

Last edited:
How about you tell me another job in the real world that pays you millions but tells you to go look for another job due to obvious bad performance that is publicly known, and they keep paying you until you do. And even if you don’t, they’ll just keep you on

If they wanted to go this route, all they had to do was mutually part ways publicly and gattis could have said it was a philosophical difference for the parting or some other BS, even though not a single coach would believe it wasn’t mainly due to the offense’s bad performance this year. He has to answer the question on why he left either way.

And Miami wouldn’t hire any fired coaches right? How many of our current coaches haven’t been fired at some point in their career? Sometimes when you have to face reality, you learn from those mistakes or hard lessons and you improve

I can tell you PLENTY of jobs in the real world that pay quite a lot, and keep you on for 6 or 8 weeks, even if you had bad performance. Most large companies don't walk in and fire C-level executives without giving them a couple of months to move on. It's actually pretty standard, there are a lot of good reasons to do so, unless there has been misfeasance or malfeasance.

The fact that you aren't familiar with that is a pretty good indication that you don't work at a very high-level job. Which is fine, nothing personal, you just don't know what you are talking about.

But you're going to move the goalposts, as usual. Now you want to compare coaches who have "been fired at some point in their career". Not the example I gave, but the discussion you are trying to derail it to.

I'm talking about the here and now. Tell me about the time in your life when you tried to get a job a week or two after you were fired.

Advertisement
Yessir, agreed. I truly DO understand the concern people have that "letting guys find a landing spot" is taking so long (6 or 7 or 8 weeks, depending on how it is measured).

The only problem we seem to have is civil discourse on this subject. The moment you point out WHAT MARIO IS DOING, you get hammered for "making excuses" or "defending Mario". You and I talked for two hours, you know I have some concerns with a few things that Mario has done.

I do hope that Gattis and Ponce succeed elsewhere. I think Mario has a good eye for football playing and coaching talent, even if not every guy is a perfect fit.

I wish that certain porsters weren't repetitively screaming for November blood to satiate their feels, but it looks like all the rational explanations in the world won't change that. Oh well.

You and I also spoke about the massive cluster**** of events that are jamming up December and January right now, related to both player movement and coaching changes. It's just too complex and unmanageable.

Universities which pay multi-millions in coaching salaries deserved to have their employees remain employed through the end of the bowl games. Maybe the NCAA needs to change the rules, to allow this new army of "analysts" to be given battlefield promotions to "on-field coaches" and "in-home recruiters" during the silly season of coaching changes in December-January.

The current system is just chaos.

And for the record, this is reason # 8,479 why I hate the worthless bowl games. Too spread out, too meaningless, a ridiculous fluffy extension to a tight regular season. And then you have an unnatural divide between the teams whose seasons end in late November (and are obviously looking to upgrade) and the teams that continue playing garbage ESPN-money-grubbing games into January.

It's chaotic crap.
We did solve the worthless bowl game problem in 2022

I think it is really difficult to judge Ponce when no one knows what his authority level was. For sure, QB play was awful and TVD was never comfortable. That said, Ponce has been successful in the past. Gattis playcalling and stubborness doomed everyone's performance.

I'm fearful Ponce concluded Gattis not leaving and he couldn't risk more tarnish to his reputation.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back