🚨🚨 ¡ MIKE RUMPH ! 🚨🚨

hoops156

Senior
You don't know what your talking about...he's a Very good teacher...

this. hes prolly one of if not our best coach from a teaching aspect (aside from the new O staff who we havent seen yet). hes just not a recruiter. as long as you can make up for his deficiencies in recruiting with an elite support staff youre fine (which manny seems to have done)

Advertisement
Not that he didn't need to go already, but Jesus Christ.

Look, the VAST majority of coaches usually excel in one of two areas. They're either really good football coaches, or they're really good recruiters. It's not common to be exceptional in both areas. Those who are usually rise rapidly through the ranks, become head coaches, and have tremendous success. Urban, Saban, etc. So, if Rumph is such a poor recruiter that he's essentially excluded from recruiting a 5-star player WHO HE WILL BE COACHING DIRECTLY, then he better be the world's best developer.

And...is he? The CB play has been pretty good here. He took Michael Jackson from an unheralded recruit and made him a good player (with Mike Jack's hard work included, of course). But how many first round corners has he produced? Dee Delaney was a guy who would have been drafted out of The Citadel, but wanted to prove himself on a bigger stage. UDFA. Trajan Bandy doesn't have prototypical size, but garnered a lot of attention in his first 2 years. UDFA. Corn Elder? 5th round? Michael Jackson? Fifth round? Jhavonte Dean? What are we talking about here?

So if this guy is turning kids into 5th round picks, and he's such a toxic recruiter that he's being stiff-armed away from prospects by others on our staff.....in the immortal words of one of the Bobs in Office Space...…...what would ya say you do here????
I’ve been asking myself all of these same questions but I do think Mike is a pretty good coach. I don’t think we’ve been willing to pay the price to get a great coach and great recruiter and even if we are those guys are top tier programs already.. without some success in the program how do we upgrade rumph who’s a pretty good coach? We’re a good team at best

He’s better than decent. He ain’t great but he is good
The million dollar question is:

does being a “good teacher” make up for your MASSIVE inefficiencies on recruiting trail. So much so that your are put in timeout while recruiting big fish. My answer would be no but like you touched on. Not sure we could real in a big fish db coach anyways.

does being a “good teacher” make up for your MASSIVE inefficiencies on recruiting trail. So much so that your are put in timeout while recruiting big fish. My answer would be no but like you touched on. Not sure we could real in a big fish db coach anyways.
I’m not mad that he’s still on staff cause or corners do learn and get better. However if you tell me tomorrow we got a new coach I wouldn’t be upset either. He is what he is. He cant get WORSE at recruiting and the rest of the staff is hitting it stride you can only hope he can get better

Advertisement

Who said he was put in time out??...Lol..C'mon man...

With a talent like Marshall right from the Get Go....I think it'd make his Job that much easier...been a while since we've had a chance of getting a CB with this kids skill level...I have faith in Mike's coaching...He was coached by the best at UM....he knows what he's doing...
I don’t disagree with mike the coach being on staff. Mike the recruiter is who i have an issue with

Advertisement
Mike isn’t a good recruiter , that is no secret. If you don’t believe that then we can’t talk and are wasting each other’s time. You obviously have a major bias for whatever reason.

That being said I’ve never said he needs fired , he’s a good teacher and a great dude. Obviously we’ve learned to work around his recruiting issues. Banda , DVD and Cooney are picking up a lot of the slack. They get recruiting and like , mike .....not so much.

So yeah it’s the funny joke to make and I’ll continue to do it but everything seems to be going just fine. It’s a young staff including the hc, they’ve made adjustments.

Advertisement
I'm not talking about a recruiting site guy, I'm talking about their version of "The Cribby"

I know the two you mean. They've been quiet since the weekend too. they expect another commitment today. I think as long as Marshall doesn't set a public date, they may not say much. Something to watch -

this. hes prolly one of if not our best coach from a teaching aspect (aside from the new O staff who we havent seen yet). hes just not a recruiter. as long as you can make up for his deficiencies in recruiting with an elite support staff youre fine (which manny seems to have done)
Similar to Coach Kool

Advertisement
Mike isn’t a good recruiter , that is no secret. If you don’t believe that then we can’t talk and are wasting each other’s time. You obviously have a major bias for whatever reason.

That being said I’ve never said he needs fired , he’s a good teacher and a great dude. Obviously we’ve learned to work around his recruiting issues. Banda , DVD and Cooney are picking up a lot of the slack. They get recruiting and like , mike .....not so much.

So yeah it’s the funny joke to make and I’ll continue to do it but everything seems to be going just fine. It’s a young staff including the hc, they’ve made adjustments.
To me, this is as much a sign of Manny learning what doesn’t work and how to fix going forward. There are many reasons to keep Mike and sure, “Get someone who’s great at recruiting and coaching” is an easy reply for the Rumph haters, but how many of THOSE guys are out there not already working at prime schools?

If Rumph isn’t great at recruiting, Cooney and/or DVD should be the lead recruiters and do it all in tandem, IMO. This is what I like to see.

I’ve always said if we could have 1 DB coach that’s an ace at recruiting and 1 DB coach that is elite at teaching. Just like the coaching pairing Clemson had with Jeff Scott and Tony Elliot. We’d be unstoppable, my issue at the time was that Banda missed out on some key targets and Rumph was a liability at recruiting, I thought they’d never mesh together. Glad to see Banda’s growth as recruiter.

Advertisement
Back