🚨🚨 ¡ MIKE RUMPH ! 🚨🚨

I think Rumph's tenuous job security history is a metaphor for the general narrative. He was supposedly not going to be retained when Manny took over and then again this past offseason, but survived both times.

He's had well-documented misses on the recruiting trail but always seem to put together decent to solid CB classes at the 11th hour. From all accounts he's a good technician and well respected in South Florida, which counts for something, but it's obvious that he's one of the weakest links on the staff at the moment, especially with the upgrades on the offensive side and the job guys like Banda and Stroud are doing.

Essentially, he's done just enough to be retained but it's clear that Manny isn't satisfied which is why guys like Banda, DVD and Cooney have essentially taken over his recruiting duties. Mike is a great Cane and that's all well and good, but at a program like Miami, you need a guy that can recruit AND coach. It's not like we're pumping out 1st rounders every year so i'm wondering if it's only a matter of time at this point before a change is made.

Advertisement
Mike isn’t a good recruiter , that is no secret. If you don’t believe that then we can’t talk and are wasting each other’s time. You obviously have a major bias for whatever reason.

That being said I’ve never said he needs fired , he’s a good teacher and a great dude. Obviously we’ve learned to work around his recruiting issues. Banda , DVD and Cooney are picking up a lot of the slack. They get recruiting and like , mike .....not so much.

So yeah it’s the funny joke to make and I’ll continue to do it but everything seems to be going just fine. It’s a young staff including the hc, they’ve made adjustments.

that last sentence is everything

Advertisement
He has to be removed from staff or demoted if this is the case. Or moved to special teams. There is no reason you have a guy on staff like this in a MAJOR position role. He’s a decent teacher. Nothing earth shattering.

Gotta agree here. Sounds like Manny came as close as possible to pulling the trigger after the last 2 seasons. If this story is true, it's actually pretty embarrassing for Mike. Although he would of course never take the step back, give him a GA role but we need actual recruiters who can also coach on the defensive side of the ball to match up with what we now apparently have on offense. It can't be all Banda.

I’ve always said if we could have 1 DB coach that’s an ace at recruiting and 1 DB coach that is elite at teaching. Just like the coaching pairing Clemson had with Jeff Scott and Tony Elliot. We’d be unstoppable, my issue at the time was that Banda missed out on some key targets and Rumph was a liability at recruiting, I thought they’d never mesh together. Glad to see Banda’s growth as recruiter.
You consider Rumph an elite at teaching?

Advertisement
Not that he didn't need to go already, but Jesus Christ.

Look, the VAST majority of coaches usually excel in one of two areas. They're either really good football coaches, or they're really good recruiters. It's not common to be exceptional in both areas. Those who are usually rise rapidly through the ranks, become head coaches, and have tremendous success. Urban, Saban, etc. So, if Rumph is such a poor recruiter that he's essentially excluded from recruiting a 5-star player WHO HE WILL BE COACHING DIRECTLY, then he better be the world's best developer.

And...is he? The CB play has been pretty good here. He took Michael Jackson from an unheralded recruit and made him a good player (with Mike Jack's hard work included, of course). But how many first round corners has he produced? Dee Delaney was a guy who would have been drafted out of The Citadel, but wanted to prove himself on a bigger stage. UDFA. Trajan Bandy doesn't have prototypical size, but garnered a lot of attention in his first 2 years. UDFA. Corn Elder? 5th round? Michael Jackson? Fifth round? Jhavonte Dean? What are we talking about here?

So if this guy is turning kids into 5th round picks, and he's such a toxic recruiter that he's being stiff-armed away from prospects by others on our staff.....in the immortal words of one of the Bobs in Office Space...…...what would ya say you do here????

HE'S A PEOPLE PERSON

Banda’s territory is Dade is south of 8th street. Field has north Dade. Banda and Rumph have been recruiting Marshall. The Cooneys and DVD also working. PJ is as big a cane as anyone.

Not that he didn't need to go already, but Jesus Christ.

Look, the VAST majority of coaches usually excel in one of two areas. They're either really good football coaches, or they're really good recruiters. It's not common to be exceptional in both areas. Those who are usually rise rapidly through the ranks, become head coaches, and have tremendous success. Urban, Saban, etc. So, if Rumph is such a poor recruiter that he's essentially excluded from recruiting a 5-star player WHO HE WILL BE COACHING DIRECTLY, then he better be the world's best developer.

And...is he? The CB play has been pretty good here. He took Michael Jackson from an unheralded recruit and made him a good player (with Mike Jack's hard work included, of course). But how many first round corners has he produced? Dee Delaney was a guy who would have been drafted out of The Citadel, but wanted to prove himself on a bigger stage. UDFA. Trajan Bandy doesn't have prototypical size, but garnered a lot of attention in his first 2 years. UDFA. Corn Elder? 5th round? Michael Jackson? Fifth round? Jhavonte Dean? What are we talking about here?

So if this guy is turning kids into 5th round picks, and he's such a toxic recruiter that he's being stiff-armed away from prospects by others on our staff.....in the immortal words of one of the Bobs in Office Space...…...what would ya say you do here????
He's also had the benefit of facing almost zero elite passing offenses in years. The kid from Toledo in 2017 might have been the best he's had to face.

The high level P5 teams all had dog **** QB's when we played them. Kelly Bryant, Alex Hornibrook, Wimbush, Blackmon etc.

I'm not sure how people would label game 1 Burrow or a mediocre Felipe Franks.

Advertisement
He's also had the benefit of facing almost zero elite passing offenses in years. The kid from Toledo in 2017 might have been the best he's had to face.

The high level P5 teams all had dog **** QB's when we played them. Kelly Bryant, Alex Hornibrook, Wimbush, Blackmon etc.

I'm not sure how people would label game 1 Burrow or a mediocre Felipe Franks.

I mean, you just described college football. Most teams have mediocre QBs most of the time.

We lucked out with Clemson during the one year they didn’t have a stud, and we lucked out getting Burrow before Brady got there. But I actually think those are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Of all the programs in college football, other than Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma and Ohio State, who consistently has a great college-level QB? Genuinely asking, because I’m struggling to think of anyone. USC? UCF?

Who was the last big time QB Notre Dame had? FSU has had dog**** at QB since Rapist. UF has had dog**** at QB since Tebow really.

If you remove Rumph, but not Patke/Baker that'll be real suspect putting a bad taste in people mouth. Fact of the matter is Rumph outcoached and outrecruited Manny... Patke... and Baker... CB has been consistently good enough for us to compete with the Big Boyz on the Football Field. Every CB thread this BS comes up let it go, and let Manny do what he feels is best for the team. They made adjustments already let it go.

Advertisement
If you remove Rumph, but not Patke/Baker that'll be real suspect putting a bad taste in people mouth. Fact of the matter is Rumph can not only outcoached, but outrecruited Manny... Patke... and Baker... CB has been consistently good enough for us to compete with the Big Boyz on the Football Field. Every CB thread this BS comes up let it go, and let Manny do what he feels is best for the team. They made adjustments already let it go.

Well he hasn’t out recruited Manny bc Manny is the HC so all of these Ws go on his board. He’s absolutely out recruited Patke though. If I was going to make a change on our staff, that’s where I’d start.

Well he hasn’t out recruited Manny bc Manny is the HC so all of these Ws go on his board. He’s absolutely out recruited Patke though. If I was going to make a change on our staff, that’s where I’d start.

Manny was here with Richt, so again who has he gotten us? Did those players develop each and every year? Absolutely not... Rumph though all his kids outplayed their rank so far except Ivey... And that JUCO kid Dean.

If you remove Rumph, but not Patke/Baker that'll be real suspect putting a bad taste in people mouth. Fact of the matter is Rumph outcoached and outrecruited Manny... Patke... and Baker... CB has been consistently good enough for us to compete with the Big Boyz on the Football Field. Every CB thread this BS comes up let it go, and let Manny do what he feels is best for the team. They made adjustments already let it go.
Baker was doing so bad last season that Manny had to step in and save the day. He couldn't get rid of Rumph and justify keeping his pal Baker.

Manny was here with Richt, so again who has he gotten us? Did those players develop each and every year? Absolutely not... Rumph though all his kids outplayed their rank so far except Ivey... And that JUCO kid Dean.

Manny as the DC doesn't need to be a great one on one recruiter. He recruits by the results his defenses have put up. He's gotten kids to Miami just by running an aggressive defense after the **** show we had going on under No D where no defensive player wanted any of part of Miami back then.

Advertisement
Back