🚨🚨 ¡ MIKE RUMPH ! 🚨🚨

Well he hasn’t out recruited Manny bc Manny is the HC so all of these Ws go on his board. He’s absolutely out recruited Patke though. If I was going to make a change on our staff, that’s where I’d start.

By far; while I’m not a fan of Rumph (never have been tbh), Patke is by far the weakest link on this staff. He offers nothing. If our def continues to struggle on money downs, I would look to move on from Baker as well. Banda has proven his worth as a recruiter and our S have been pretty solid. I would like for him to have full control of all S, including striker.

Last edited:
Advertisement
RumF coaches well, former Cane.. leave him alone. Bartender is MD's comfort zone guy, recruits well enough to stay.. Penske was just a bad hire & missed opportunity. Slide 20ER in there if he wants it. If not, we still have better options. Baker gets one year for re-assessment. JMO

Advertisement
RumF coaches well, former Cane.. leave him alone. Bartender is MD's comfort zone guy, recruits well enough to stay.. Penske was just a bad hire & missed opportunity. Slide 20ER in there if he wants it. If not, we still have better options. Baker gets one year for re-assessment. JMO
Well enough?

Stopped reading right there... LMFAO

Manny was here with Richt, so again who has he gotten us? Did those players develop each and every year? Absolutely not... Rumph though all his kids outplayed their rank so far except Ivey... And that JUCO kid Dean.

Who has outplayed their rank?

For all the alleged “development” Rumph does, nobody seems to be developing beyond what the recruiting rankings say they should be.

Bethel is the type of player Rumph should earn that “developmental” paycheck with. And Bethel flamed out.

I mean, you just described college football. Most teams have mediocre QBs most of the time.

We lucked out with Clemson during the one year they didn’t have a stud, and we lucked out getting Burrow before Brady got there. But I actually think those are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Of all the programs in college football, other than Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma and Ohio State, who consistently has a great college-level QB? Genuinely asking, because I’m struggling to think of anyone. USC? UCF?

Who was the last big time QB Notre Dame had? FSU has had dog**** at QB since Rapist. UF has had dog**** at QB since Tebow really.
Ian Book and Trask are light years better than the guys they replaced.

Rumph going up against Howell will be a good test obviously. Schedule is super weak, so from there maybe V.Tech and Pickett from Pitt is decent competition. I'd assume Blackmon improves a little this year now that he has a HC that can at least put together a coherent game plan

Advertisement
To be fair and shoot him some bail it’s not uncommon for big targets of teams to get the best recruiters on staff and not the position coach as a primary. It happens

Here's the thing, you tend to be one of the more honest and fair people in your assessment of Rumph.

On the other hand, we have guys who just DESTROY Rumph. Guys who yap about where Rumph's guys are drafted (without noting that Rumph's recruiting and draft-outcome of his players is comparable to UM's overall). Rumph started coaching at UM in 2016.

Rumph's recruiting and talent in the passing defense:

2016 - UM's recruiting was not good (just got Rivals/247 4-star S Romeo Finley)
2017 - got a bit better (Rivals/247 4-star CB Trajan Bandy and 4-star transfer CB Jhavonte Dean)
2018 - was a lot better (Rivals/247 4-stars CB Frierson, S Hall, and CB Blades, and 247 4-star CB Ivey)
2019 - had lower numbers but we got a couple (Rivals/247 4-stars CB Williams & S Smith and 247 4-star CB Couch)
2020 - was great for quality and quantity (Rivals/247 4-stars S Harrell, CB Dunson, and S Williams and Rivals 4-star S Washington).

I realize those names include safeties, but there is some overlap, and if a coach was such a poisonous person and recruiter (see, generally, Greg Knox at UiF), you would expect to see guys transferring out in greater numbers.

Rumph's coaching:

2016 - #47 ranked passing defense (yards allowed per game) per NCAA
2017 - #56 ranked passing defense (yards allowed per game) per NCAA
2018 - #1 ranked passing defense (yards allowed per game) per NCAA
2019 - #18 ranked passing defense (yards allowed per game) per NCAA

Rumph's NFL draft results:

2017 - 5th round CB Corn Elder (coached by Rumph for 1 year)
2017 - 7th round CB Adrian Colbert (coached by Rumph for 1 year)
2017 - Miami had 9 total draftees: 1 first-rounder (TE Njoku), 1 fourth-rounder (S Jenkins), 2 fifth-rounders, 2 sixth-rounders, 3 seventh-rounders
2018 - no DBs drafted
2018 - Miami had 6 total draftees: 1 third-rounder (DE Thomas), 2 fourth-rounders (TE Herndon, RB Walton), 1 fifth-rounder, 1 sixth-rounder, 1 seventh-rounder
2019 - 5th round CB Mike Jackson (coached by Rumph for 3 years)
2019 - 6th round CB Jaquan Jackson (coached by Rumph for 3 years)
2019 - Miami had 5 total draftees: 1 fourth-rounder (S Redwine), 2 fifth-rounders, and 2 sixth-rounders
2020 - no DBs drafted
2020 - Miami had 4 total draftees: 2 fourth-rounders (LB Quaterman, RB Dallas), 1 fifth-rounder, 1 seventh-rounder
--------4 CBs drafted out of 24 total draftees from 2017-2020 (plus 2 safeties)

I'm not evaluating this on the basis of "Rumph is a Cane" or "Rumph is the devil" biases. Looking purely at the stats and objective evidence, it looks like:

---Rumph is not the greatest recruiter, but the last 2+ years for talent (even if he is not the lead recruiter) have gone better than the first 2 years
---Rumph, as a person, is not disliked by his players (in the form of transfers out) and his reputation has not "run off" all blue-chip kids, though we certainly appear to have lost some 4-star/5-star talent in the first 2 years
---Rumph, as a coach, has produced good statistical results, with the last 2 years being better than the first 2 years
---Rumph, as a developer, has coached 4 drafted CBs (2 Round 5s, a 6, and a 7) during a time when Miami has had 24 players drafted; and of the 24 players drafted, only 8 went in rounds above all the CBs (Rounds 1-4) and 2 of those were safeties (and 2 were TEs and 2 were RBs)
---Rumph, overall, when recruiting, coaching, and developing the passing defense, is producing better results than QB, OL, WR, DL, LB, and K/P position groups, and is on a par with RB and TE position groups.

But, hey, even in the face of all of that objective data, we are still going to have people screaming to "Fire Rumph" and telling us about all those CBs that we missed out on 4 years ago.

Oh, and let's not pretend like all these safeties are coming to UM to be position-coached by Banda.

Last edited:
By far; while I’m not a fan of Rumph (never have been tbh), Patke is by far the weakest link on this staff. He offers nothing. If our def continues to struggle on money downs, I would look to move on from Baker as well. Banda has proven his worth as a recruiter and our S have been pretty solid. I would like for him to have full control of all S, including striker.

at least Rumph can teach, patke name just sounds like some new level of patty cake that only Gods can reach. He brings nothing to the table at all just a friendly move by old man Richt

Here's the thing, you tend to be one of the more honest and fair people in your assessment of Rumph.

On the other hand, we have guys who just DESTROY Rumph. Guys who yap about where Rumph's guys are drafted (without noting that Rumph's recruiting and draft-outcome of his players is comparable to UM's overall). Rumph started coaching at UM in 2016.

Rumph's recruiting:

The 2016 recruiting was not good (just got Rivals/247 4-star S Romeo Finley), 2017 got a bit better (Rivals/247 4-star CB Trajan Bandy and 4-star transfer CB Jhavonte Dean), 2018 was a lot better (Rivals/247 4-stars CB Frierson, S Hall, and CB Blades, and 247 4-star CB Ivey), 2019 had lower numbers but we got a couple (Rivals/247 4-stars CB Williams & S Smith and 247 4-star CB Couch), and 2020 was great for quality and quantity (Rivals/247 4-stars S Harrell, CB Dunson, and S Williams and Rivals 4-star S Washington).

I realize those names include safeties, but there is some overlap, and if a coach was such a poisonous person and recruiter (see, generally, Greg Knox at UiF), you would expect to see guys transferring out in greater numbers.

Rumph's coaching:

Rumph's NFL draft results:

2017 - 5th round CB Corn Elder (coached by Rumph for 1 year)
2017 - 7th round CB Adrian Colbert (coached by Rumph for 1 year)
2017 - Miami had 9 total draftees: 1 first-rounder (TE Njoku), 1 fourth-rounder (S Jenkins), 2 fifth-rounders, 2 sixth-rounders, 3 seventh-rounders
2018 - no DBs drafted
2018 - Miami had 6 total draftees: 1 third-rounder (DE Thomas), 2 fourth-rounders (TE Herndon, RB Walton), 1 fifth-rounder, 1 sixth-rounder, 1 seventh-rounder
2019 - 5th round CB Mike Jackson (coached by Rumph for 3 years)
2019 - 6th round CB Jaquan Jackson (coached by Rumph for 3 years)
2019 - Miami had 5 total draftees: 1 fourth-rounder (S Redwine), 2 fifth-rounders, and 2 sixth-rounders
2020 - no DBs drafted
2020 - Miami had 4 total draftees: 2 fourth-rounders (LB Quaterman, RB Dallas), 1 fifth-rounder, 1 seventh-rounder
--------4 CBs drafted out of 24 total draftees from 2017-2020 (plus 2 safeties)

I'm not evaluating this on the basis of "Rumph is a Cane" or "Rumph is the devil" biases. Looking purely at the stats and objective evidence, it looks like:

---Rumph is not the greatest recruiter, but the last 2+ years for talent (even if he is not the lead recruiter) have gone better than the first 2 years
---Rumph, as a person, is not disliked by his players (in the form of transfers out) and his reputation has not "run off" all blue-chip kids, though we certainly appear to have lost some 4-star/5-star talent in the first 2 years
---Rumph, as a coach, has produced good statistical results, with the last 2 years being better than the first 2 years
---Rumph, as a developer, has coached 4 drafted CBs (2 Round 5s, a 6, and a 7) during a time when Miami has had 24 players drafted; and of the 24 players drafted, only 8 went in rounds above all the CBs (Rounds 1-4) and 2 of those were safeties (and 2 were TEs and 2 were RBs)
---Rumph, overall, when recruiting, coaching, and developing the passing defense, is producing better results than QB, OL, WR, DL, LB, and K/P position groups, and is on a par with RB and TE position groups.

But, hey, even in the face of all of that objective data, we are still going to have people screaming to "Fire Rumph" and tell us about all those CBs that we missed out on 4 years ago.

you’re giving Rumph credit for guys he didn’t recruit and doesn’t coach under the idea that if he was such a bad guy the recruits/players couldn’t stand to be in the same room as him?

Who out here is arguing he’s a toxic human?

Advertisement
Rumph's coaching:

Small complaint, but it makes much more sense to focus on pass efficiency defense. Total yards allowed per game can be deceptive for a variety of reasons (pace, offensive success, etc.)

Our pass efficiency rankings are as follows:

2016- 12th
2017- 20th
2018- 4th
2019- 37th

Manny was here with Richt, so again who has he gotten us? Did those players develop each and every year? Absolutely not... Rumph though all his kids outplayed their rank so far except Ivey... And that JUCO kid Dean.

What do you mean who has Manny gotten us? Is that a rhetorical question? Or are you only counting his recruiting as DC but not HC for some reason?

And what does their development have to do with what I said? I’m fine with Rumph so I’m not even sure what you’re trying to argue with me about.

Small complaint, but it makes much more sense to focus on pass efficiency defense. Total yards allowed per game can be deceptive for a variety of reasons (pace, offensive success, etc.)

Our pass efficiency rankings are as follows:

2016- 12th
2017- 20th
2018- 4th
2019- 37th

Fair enough. I'd just point out that those are some good stats too (2016 and 2017 suddenly look a lot better, while 2019 looks worse).

Advertisement
Rumph coaches corners, strikers & safeties

you’re giving Rumph credit for guys he didn’t recruit and doesn’t coach under the idea that if he was such a bad guy the recruits/players couldn’t stand to be in the same room as him?

Who out here is arguing he’s a toxic human?

Cut the crap. Position coaches come and go. I put out ALL of the relevant facts. I don't care that he "didn't recruit" certain guys, he coached CORNERBACK Dean for his one year at UM and CORNERBACKS Jackson/Johnson for 3 years. Give the man his credit.

And if you don't think that Rumph coaches the safeties too, you are a dope.

Cut the crap. Position coaches come and go. I put out ALL of the relevant facts. I don't care that he "didn't recruit" certain guys, he coached CORNERBACK Dean for his one year at UM and CORNERBACKS Jackson/Johnson for 3 years. Give the man his credit.

And if you don't think that Rumph coaches the safeties too, you are a dope.

so you dont give banda any credit for the safeties then? none of us likely know how much banda/rumph coach the Safeties (whether its a rumph duty or a banda duty and not by title)

Advertisement
Back