“Manny Diaz is like Tyler Herro.”

PER - 12.1, down from his rookie year where he struggled for long stretches
3P% - .310
FT% - .786
TS% - 54%, below his rookie year and well below league average
TOV% - 15.7
BOX +/- = -3.4

The reputation as a "baller" reaffirms my point - right now he's a volume bucket-getter with superficial appeal, not a player who provides efficient winning basketball. The Heat are 7-13.

Likewise Manny Diaz makes flashy offseason moves and talks like a coach who gets it, but on the field has failed to get the job done to date. Both are young in their respective roles and have shown flashes. The book isn't closed on either but right now this is how it is.
The NBA is littered with guys who had their ups and downs as young players who turned out to be all-stars. The kid is in his second season after dealing with the weirdest 12 months in history for NBA players, and has shown plenty of flashes as to what his upside can be (Beal/Booker etc.)

Enjoy the ride

Advertisement
I was giving a snapshot of the present ("right now"). The value of regular season vs playoff sample sizes (especially in a strange bubble environment) is a whole different debate that frankly I'm not even qualified to discuss.

Obviously if Herro can bottle the shotmaking, playmaking and defense he showed in the playoffs and do that over an extended stretch then the hype is warranted.

This season has been bizarre. More so than the bubble in many ways. The Heat in particular have been forced to play a new lineup every night.

Herro has gotten way more efficient around the rim but has shot way worse from 3. If the finishing is real, he has a very bright future. I’m not as worried about the distance shooting.

@HighSeas you really posted the heats record?.

You paid attention to the team or know whats going on?.

We had a guy who im not sure how is int he nba and may not even start for UM's terrible basketball team log 30+ mins for a week, while being a main scoring option. lol

I’m not a Heat fan by any stretch (Sixers are my team), bu Herro is a legit player, and a good pick considering where he was drafted. Maybe he was just in a zone lat year but he carried the Heat scoring at times in the playoffs.
He isn’t a point guard and decision making tends to improve with age and experience so you should expect the turnovers to come down.
‘the 3point percentage will improve because he’s too good of a shooter for it not to, but teams are also focused on not giving him a clean 3. Once Herro adjusts to how he is being defended the Heat will be very happy they have him. And if they aren’t, the Sixers will gladly pick him up. We’ll give you Mike Scott and Tony Bradley.

Done deal.

Advertisement
3P% - .310
FT% - .786
TOV% - 15.7
BOX +/- = -3.4

The reputation as a "baller" reaffirms my point - right now he's a volume bucket-getter with superficial appeal, not a player who provides efficient winning basketball. The Heat are 7-13.

Likewise Manny Diaz makes flashy offseason moves and talks like a coach who gets it, but on the field has failed to get the job done to date. Both are young in their respective roles and have shown flashes. The book isn't closed on either but right now this is how it is.
Those stats aren’t great - but his playoff sample size is actually larger than this year. He’s only played in 13 of the 20 games (and the teams best player has only been in 8), so I’m not sure that the record is as damning a stat as you’re positing it to be.

That was fun. Thanks for sharing that. There's no other program that could ever come close to matching that type of brotherhood.

@HighSeas you really posted the heats record?.

You paid attention to the team or know whats going on?.

We had a guy who im not sure how is int he nba and may not even start for UM's terrible basketball team log 30+ mins for a week, while being a main scoring option. lol
I'm a Raptors fan. I know how messed up this season has been. They're playing in Tampa, have a +1.6 pt differential and are 9-12. The whole league is unpredictable except the Lakers consistently beating up on bad teams.

We can make excuses for Herro, the Heat and other guys but it works in reverse too. Herro's rep is based on the playoffs which was a unique circumstance in the bubble with guys not traveling, playing on the same hoops, and a lot of emotional factors that impacted teams/players positively or negatively. Clearly the Heat thrived in that setting.

Jamal Murray's stats this season and last season vs the bubble playoffs are night and day drastic. Is Murray the elite All-NBA guy he was in the bubble or do we go with the much longer track record of him being merely good? Time will tell for Herro as to which sample is more representative.

3P% - .310
FT% - .786
TOV% - 15.7
BOX +/- = -3.4

No right now that's your opinion!

Advertisement
I'm a Raptors fan. I know how messed up this season has been. They're playing in Tampa, have a +1.6 pt differential and are 9-12. The whole league is unpredictable except the Lakers consistently beating up on bad teams.

We can make excuses for Herro, the Heat and other guys but it works in reverse too. Herro's rep is based on the playoffs which was a unique circumstance in the bubble with guys not traveling, playing on the same hoops, and a lot of emotional factors that impacted teams/players positively or negatively. Clearly the Heat thrived in that setting.

Jamal Murray's stats this season and last season vs the bubble playoffs are night and day drastic. Is Murray the elite All-NBA guy he was in the bubble or do we go with the much longer track record of him being merely good? Time will tell for Herro as to which sample is more representative.
Out of all ppl, we let Freddy Van ***ing fleet put up 50+ on us. And *** Lowry with an aids dyck. I’ve always been disgusted with him but what he did last season to AG and the first game against the raps this season has turned up my hatred for him to a 10.

Out of all ppl, we let Freddy Van ***ing fleet put up 50+ on us. And *** Lowry with an aids dyck. I’ve always been disgusted with him but what he did last season to AG and the first game against the raps this season has turned up my hatred for him to a 10.
lol I can't believe FVV got so many layups on the Magic. Before that game he was well below 50% at the rim...dude thinks he's Kyrie with the wild finishes it drives me nuts. But on the list of surprising Raptor 50 pt games I'd put him below TRoss and Stoudamire.

I will not stand for the Lowry slander. He's the 🐐 Raptor and a proven competitor. He knows how to bait fouls but the refs don't give him as many calls as he deserves, especially for taking charges. Sounds like you're mistaking him for Marcus Smart who's a dirty hack with none of the talent Lowry has.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t say he is a “dirty player” but what he did to AG in the bubble was dirty. I just really despise his game. Like you said, the baiting for fouls. He is also whiny. Looks like he is about to cry every time he is bytching about something to the refs

Advertisement
Back