“I’ll still take 2001 Miami”

Advertisement
These are Dorsey's stats during his career @ MIA. Burrow almost eclipsed his entire career in 1 season. LMAO. Not to mention He's a Heisman winner, and is going to be the projected #1 overall pick in the NFL draft.

View attachment 108672
Stats dont always tell the entire story. I wont say kenny is better than burrow but I certainly wont say burrow is better than him. Systems are the main cause in stat lines. If stats are the only arguement than tommy Chung and the other dude from june jones Hawaii programs and several texas tech dudes under leach would be the best ever. Kenny did EVERY SINGLE THING asked of him and was bar none one of the best leaders I ever met. All of that while we were in large part a running team. As we should've been. Any team that fields several hall of famers at the same position should feature them. That and the um bias is the ONLY reason kenny didntbwin 2 heismans.

I think it would be close and in a one off game, it could go either way. Best of whatever, we got it.

Advertisement
Didn't we just slip by BC in 01? How is strength of schedule not a part of the thought process? We basically played cupcakes all year with a few string teams (PSU finished 5-6, VT, FSU, UF). The game has changed and this is comparing apples to oranges. There's that meme with all the draft picks that were on that team but I think Bama has some teams with similar numbers there.

Also Dorsey did not have the arm to run what LSU ran. Yes you can find a highlight or two of a reasonable deep pass but he could not do that consistently. Most deep passes he threw were underthrowm ducks.

Educate yourself.

The 2001 CANES beat SIX Top 25 teams by an average score of 42-13.

Educate yourself.

The 2001 CANES beat SIX Top 25 teams by an average score of 42-13.
Right, I left out Syracuse and Washington from my list. One of those "SIX" finished with a losing recording and the highest overall finish was Syracuse at #15 (excluding the Natty game, Nebraska finished#8) . LSU beat 7 top 10 teams 4 of which finished in the top 10 (5 counting Clemson).

What was your point again?

Right, I left out Syracuse and Washington from my list. One of those "SIX" finished with a losing recording and the highest overall finish was Syracuse at #15 (excluding the Natty game, Nebraska finished#8) . LSU beat 7 top 10 teams 4 of which finished in the top 10 (5 counting Clemson).

What was your point again?

The 2001 CANES beat teams that finished ranked 8, 14, 15 ,18 ,19 & 21.

You tried to suggest that the 2001 CANES played "cupcakes all year" (your words).

My point is that you are wrong.

Now is where you claim that LSU still had a tougher schedule so you win the argument...buy that's only because you're moving the goalposts now that I've proven you wrong.

The 2001 CANES beat teams that finished ranked 8, 14, 15 ,18 ,19 & 21.

You tried to suggest that the 2001 CANES played a bunch of "cupcakes" (your word).

My point is that you are wrong.

Now is where you claim that LSU still had a tougher schedule so you win the argument...buy that's only because you're moving the goalposts now that I've proven you wrong.
Okay, you're right. I said we played a bunch of cupcakes. The structure of the point I intended was wrong.

I intended to convey that we didn't play anyone close to the level that LSU did. Also we struggled against decidedly lower teams (BC). With Nebraska finishing #8 with 2 loses the next best team was Syracuse finishing #14 with 3 loses. Everyone else we beat finished with 4 or more loses (the 15, 18, 19 and 21 you noted).

The whole notion that Miami's schedule could at all be compared to LSU (Miami v LSU is the subject matter of the whole thread) is ludacris and by comparison is a cupcake schedule.

Advertisement
Interesting. So does 2019 LSU beat 2001 BC?

That BC team had a top 10 pass defense and a top 20 rushing attack. They were about as good as Wisconsin was this past season.

I'm not saying that LSU couldn't have handled them. I'm just saying that just because they're BC doesn't mean they were a cupcake. Those Tom O'Brien BC teams were tough.

Okay, you're right. I said we played a bunch of cupcakes. The structure of the point I intended was wrong.

I intended to convey that we didn't play anyone close to the level that LSU did. Also we struggled against decidedly lower teams (BC). With Nebraska finishing #8 with 2 loses the next best team was Syracuse finishing #14 with 3 loses. Everyone else we beat finished with 4 or more loses (the 15, 18, 19 and 21 you noted).

The whole notion that Miami's schedule could at all be compared to LSU (Miami v LSU is the subject matter of the whole thread) is ludacris and by comparison is a cupcake schedule.
While you're arguing lsu and their schedule you also dont account for the fact half the ranked teams they played only had that status because of the sec & its bias. Some very basic teams get force fed to the masses to justify the exposure and tv contracts. I'm sure you won't wanna hear that. But that's what it is. Sec simply beats up on themselves and plays the girls ymca for out of conference every year. But most(except the top 2 or 3)get exposed in bowls.

Advertisement
It all comes down to these two things IMO.

#1. How does this year's LSU D match up with the 2001 CANES O?

The 2001 CANES O had one of, if not the best OL in the history of college football. We had four all-Americans, two 1st round picks and both an Outland and Rimington award winner.

The backfield was one of the greatest if not the greatest of all time. Portis was NFL offensive rookie of the year in 2002, a two time pro bowler and second team all pro. He holds the NFL record for rushing yards by a RB in his first two seasons and he holds the Broncos record for career yards per game. Gore is the 3rd all time leading rusher in NFL history and a sure HoFer...nuff said. McGahee was a consensus all-American, finalist for the Heisman trophy and two-time pro bowler.

Dorsey was just a 2x Heisman finalist, Maxwell award winner, 2x Archie Griffin (MVP) award winner and finished his career 38-2 as a starter.

Then you factor in Jeremy Shockey who was a 1st team all American and a four time pro bowler beginning with his rookie season in 2002.

Finally you have Andre Johnson...seven time pro bowler, 2x all pro, 10,000 yard club member.

How the **** would this LSU D have slowed down that offense?

#2. How does the 2001 CANES D matchup with the Jose Donkey led LSU offense?

NINE 1st round draft picks, the #1 pass defense, NFL HoFer Ed Reed, Vince Wilfork, Jerome Mcdougle who would have been the best pass rusher on either team Monday night, Jon Vilma, DJ Williams, Philip Buchanan, William Joseph, Mike Rumph and the great Sean Taylor pinch hitting. GTFOH!

To top it all off we had the best special teams in the country.

The 2001 CANES had no weakness.

Come on, fellas, lay off LSU fan McNobody.

After all, who isn't afraid of a team of boys wearing purple.

Strikes fear into me just thinking about it.

38 players drafted to the league, 17 in the first round (head and shoulders above any other team you wanna name and that will include 2019 LSU). Enough said

Advertisement
It all comes down to these two things IMO.

#1. How does this year's LSU D match up with the 2001 CANES O?

The 2001 CANES O had one of, if not the best OL in the history of college football. We had four all-Americans, two 1st round picks and both an Outland and Rimington award winner.

The backfield was one of the greatest if not the greatest of all time. Portis was NFL offensive rookie of the year in 2002, a two time pro bowler and second team all pro. He holds the NFL record for rushing yards by a RB in his first two seasons and he holds the Broncos record for career yards per game. Gore is the 3rd all time leading rusher in NFL history and a sure HoFer...nuff said. McGahee was a consensus all-American, finalist for the Heisman trophy and two-time pro bowler.

Dorsey was just a 2x Heisman finalist, Maxwell award winner, 2x Archie Griffin (MVP) award winner and finished his career 38-2 as a starter.

Then you factor in Jeremy Shockey who was a 1st team all American and a four time pro bowler beginning with his rookie season in 2002.

Finally you have Andre Johnson...seven time pro bowler, 2x all pro, 10,000 yard club member.

How the **** would this LSU D have slowed down that offense?

#2. How does the 2001 CANES D matchup with the Jose Donkey led LSU offense?

NINE 1st round draft picks, the #1 pass defense, NFL HoFer Ed Reed, Vince Wilfork, Jerome Mcdougle who would have been the best pass rusher on either team Monday night, Jon Vilma, DJ Williams, Philip Buchanan, William Joseph, Mike Rumph and the great Sean Taylor pinch hitting. GTFOH!

To top it all off we had the best special teams in the country.

The 2001 CANES had no weakness.

Nailed it

Dude you forgot something at the end of you post.

Drop the mic..........

Stats dont always tell the entire story. I wont say kenny is better than burrow but I certainly wont say burrow is better than him. Systems are the main cause in stat lines. If stats are the only arguement than tommy Chung and the other dude from june jones Hawaii programs and several texas tech dudes under leach would be the best ever. Kenny did EVERY SINGLE THING asked of him and was bar none one of the best leaders I ever met. All of that while we were in large part a running team. As we should've been. Any team that fields several hall of famers at the same position should feature them. That and the um bias is the ONLY reason kenny didntbwin 2 heismans.

Colt Brennan

Advertisement
Back