2023 ‘23 OT - Monroe Freeling

Idk why this is a question. Who are our good OT this year yet alone backups? The cupboard is barren we need all the bodies.
My fault, my question didn’t suggest the
likely hood that Freeling now means exiting the Samson sweepstakes.

Advertisement
I still can’t believe Kirby hired Searels. Dude is as washed as a coach gets. From VT to Miami to UNC his OL units have been terrible and that now goes back 10 years.
Makes you wonder if he believed the o line recruiting was a product of the program rather than the coach. Searles has been suspect for 10+ years now.

Advertisement
My question and this is only for the board, cause I feel l know what Mario would do, but what do you do if Samson isn’t set and Freeling wants in 100% right now?
everyone GIF

I think 6 is probably the number we take this year. We have Clark, Rivers, Campbell, Denis, Sagapolu, Cooper and McCoy all coming back and I believe are Mario/Mirabel type guys. Oluwosen, Traore, Rodriguez, Seymour, and McLaughlin are all question marks. I only imagine 1 maybe 2 stay after this year. If 2 of that group stay and we sign 6 kids in this class that gives us 15 on the OL which is typically what a team carries at the position. If only 1 stays of that group it would leave open one scholarship which I would rather use on a jr or sr transfer because this group is going to be a pretty young group.

I think 6 is probably the number we take this year. We have Clark, Rivers, Campbell, Denis, Sagapolu, Cooper and McCoy all coming back and I believe are Mario/Mirabel type guys. Oluwosen, Traore, Rodriguez, Seymour, and McLaughlin are all question marks. I only imagine 1 maybe 2 stay after this year. If 2 of that group stay and we sign 6 kids in this class that gives us 15 on the OL which is typically what a team carries at the position. If only 1 stays of that group it would leave open one scholarship which I would rather use on a jr or sr transfer because this group is going to be a pretty young group.
Rivers and maybe Clark depending how he looks this year. Everyone else is replaceable. We have 0 OT depth I can't think of any reason to turn down a player in lieu of another player.

Should have a good shot at landing him. If Miami is confident on Samson, as they should be, we’re done on the offensive line. Freeling played himself if he really wants to be here. Take Samson, sign 6, and we out.

Normally, I’d agree but Freeling is too good of a prospect to pass up and OL is key to everything Mario is about.

Advertisement
💯 You take Freeling, it’s not even a question. And if Samson wants in then you allow it given his talent level as reflected in his ranking in this situation, and then you let them all compete.
Nothing wrong with taking 7 OL ... heck since it looks like there might not be a fixed limit take 8. You NEED elite OL to win. UM hasn't been competitive in the trenches for literally decades.

Advertisement
As I understand it, the 85 man roster limit is the same but there are no limits on counters for a couple years.
Exactly and this will enable Mario to quickly build up areas of the team that would have taken him longer with the limit on initial counters. Now we can bring both the OL and the DL up to standard in relatively short order using the portal and HS recruiting.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the Columbus alum, Ryan Rodriguez, gets pushed out unless he doesn’t work.

Also, Freeling and Okunlola both have spots no matter what happens with any other recruits. This never happens, but half the team gets pushed out for either one.

Advertisement
There have got to be OL that are brought in annually that can grow into OL we need to dominate. We have been so lackluster recently that we need OL to come play immediately. The portal is an answer. HS recruits another answer. Coaching, SC, and nutrition are other answers to build our OL up.
This is still an unprecedented time in cfb. Mario gets to use the portal. He brought his SC guy with him. He is recruiting at a high clip. He still needs a little time. I think he is well on his way to turning things around just the way we want to see them turn!

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the Columbus alum, Ryan Rodriguez, gets pushed out unless he doesn’t work.

Also, Freeling and Okunlola both have spots no matter what happens with any other recruits. This never happens, but half the team gets pushed out for either one.
So the answer to a subpar OL room is going into next year with half your OL being Freshman? I believe Mario is going to bring in his own guys and he is already doing that with Denis and Sagapolu. I just think he’ll probably leave a scholarship or 2 for a transfer who can play immediately and doesn’t need to be developed on the field and in the weight room.

Nothing wrong with taking 7 OL ... heck since it looks like there might not be a fixed limit take 8. You NEED elite OL to win. UM hasn't been competitive in the trenches for literally decades.
It would also be a bonding opportunity for these guys to come in & set the standard. Competition. Hard work. Best man plays. Deeper than just playing ball.

Just because a kid is from Mario’s high school doesn’t mean the kid is untouchable; have we not listened to a word Mario has said since he’s been here? Everything will be earned; high school alma mater be damned.

By the way, Mario and Mirabel didn’t recruit Ryan Rodriguez when they were at Oregon even though the two guys were at Columbus enough times to see Ryan practice and interact with him during offseason lifts.

Advertisement
Back