Adrian Colbert making his case to start

Memnon

Dejazmach
Premium
Texas Transfer CB Adrian Colbert: I Came Here to Start

I didn’t come here come off the bench,” Colbert said. “I came here to start.”

Colbert has great size at 6-foot-2 and speed at the cornerback position in addition to confidence.

“I feel like I can with anybody in the country,” Colbert said.

Head coach Mark Richt has liked what he has seen from Colbert.

“I like him,” head coach Mark Richt said. “I liked him since the day he got here – his energy, his maturity. He should be mature. He has been at a great program, and came here and could keep pace in some cases, show the way. He did a good job.”
Colbert is battling with fellow senior Corn Elder and sophomore Sheldrick Redwine to be a starter.

“He has length and speed, which is always good at the cornerback position,” defensive coordinator Manny Diaz said. “The best part for me is that the locker room has embraced him. There are two things that people will respect and that is your work ethic and your toughness. He has done a good job of showing both of those early on.”

Richt and Diaz both had positive things to say about Colbert, who has enjoyed being at UM thus far.

“The coaches love me and I love the coaches because they give me equal respect,” Colbert said. “They’re straight up. They give me constructive criticism and not just trying to bring me down every time they tell me something.”

Colbert intercepted the pass in a basic Cover 2 defense and Kaaya had a high-low route.

“I acted like I was going to jump the low route and sat back on the corner route and just picked it off,” Colbert said. “When I jumped up I got a cramp in my left calf.”

Friday’s practice did not have as many opportunities for Colbert.

“Today was kind of slow-I don’t know why, but they really weren’t throwing it to my side today,” he said.

Colbert spent four seasons as a safety at Texas, but has made a seamlessly smooth transition to corner.

“The coaches have steadily working with me and it’s been really good,” Colbert said. “I’ve enjoyed the transition. It’s really been great coming from safety.”

Colbert is still adjusting to the position and is concentrating on improving in a specific area.

“I really just want to focus on my eyes,” he said. “My footwork has been pretty good. I’m continually getting better every day, every practice. It’s just the eyes.”

Colbert has completed two official practices at Miami.

“I’ve loved it so far,” Colbert said. “Yesterday I felt butterflies. The whole day I was thinking, ‘Oh my I’m actually out here playing ball again.’ I missed it so much because I didn’t do spring ball. It was kind of a loss. It was a need.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
I feel alot better about the possibility of Corn Elder - a top veteran in Colbert - Redwine as the starters rotating as needed.

Add Smith to that combination and suddenly our CB situation looks fit for anyone on this schedule.

One of the coaches said Elder is the best nickel corner.

Suggested Redwine and Colbert on outside with elder covering the nickel.

With Diaz playing a lot of zone in this scheme I think this kid will be a real player. You don't need elite hips to play mostly zone, and with playing safety for 4 years he should have some decent instincts.

Would absolutely love to add Smith to this crew. All of sudden, we'd have 3 very solid seniors back there. Stay strong, Saban!

Advertisement
Depending on Redwine's improvement, I wouldn't have an issue with Colbert & Redwine being the starters on the outside & Elder being the Nickel.
On Mo Smith, he may come here or he may not, but if he does he needs to get a move on because he's missing valuable time with the team.

Last edited:
We need smith

Defense could be pretty good with a couple more serviceable corners besides corn

Would absolutely love to add Smith to this crew. All of sudden, we'd have 3 very solid seniors back there. Stay strong, Saban!

Yessir. Would be extremely helpful. Even for a young guy like Malek Young, who'd have a little more time.

Advertisement

Saban is definitely staying strong. The school even sent out a press release yesterday regarding the circumstance. They are happy to assist him to any school that is not in the SEC.

Hoping to land Smith also. Like another poster said missing key time to gel and bond with these guys.
Exactly, plus he needs time to adjust. We don't play the same scheme as Bama & it's not like he's just going to come in and pickup our scheme right away. So, if he is going to be here, he needs to hurry the f*ck up & get over this Georgia sh*t.

I will expand on this on the next podcast, but Colbert has made a great first impression.

He has size and he can really, really run.

Yessir. Would be extremely helpful. Even for a young guy like Malek Young, who'd have a little more time.

Would be nice to play Young in situations instead of having to rely heavily on him like I think we will if we don't get Smith.

Advertisement
Hoping to land Smith also. Like another poster said missing key time to gel and bond with these guys.
Exactly, plus he needs time to adjust. We don't play the same scheme as Bama & it's not like he's just going to come in and pickup our scheme right away. So, if he is going to be here, he needs to hurry the f*ck up & get over this Georgia sh*t.

Smith could walk in and pick this up in a week.

I always think it's a positive when Veteran players are in the secondary. Coached Richt was just talking about that today. Difference between Jamal and Rashawn and the others being that they mask coverages a lot better.

Plus the seniors know this is the last time around. Aint no next year. The sense of urgency is usually always right now.

Last edited:
If we can somehow add Maurice Smith then its curtains. But Smith better jump on soon and stop this nonsense and let this UGA pipe dream go before he gets left behind.. Saban isnt waivering. Hes got too much juice to bow down to him and his mom. Will never happen.

Advertisement
I will expand on this on the next podcast, but Colbert has made a great first impression.

He has size and he can really, really run.

That's exactly why I loved the Colbert pickup from the beginning. He can fly, and this is his contract year. I know you're a big Charlie ******* fan, but he was all about tossing the upperclassmen aside at Texas even if they could play. He was going with a full cleanse at Texas.

If he's starting, we're in big trouble because that means Redwine just isn't that good. We're relying on a guy who started like 4 games in his college career and had a few tackles. A guy who was passed up by a Freshman in 2014 and didn't eve record a statistic in the 2015 season. I guess the only hope is that his skills are far, far better suited for CB than S.

Advertisement
Back