4/14 Recruiting Update with Key Miami Targets
Just a few recruiting notes and news from today with the latest, along with some before and after of the pod I released the other day that was recorded on Monday.
- The expectation from a source on Georgia transfer offensive tackle Amarius Mims, is that he will be in Miami Saturday morning. Miami is still confident on him, despite the noise in Tallahassee and false alarm commitment from a third party source last night. Miami has a plan in terms of a lucrative NIL deal value in place among the opportunity for Mims to be coached by coaches Mario Cristobal and Alex Mirabal. I mentioned on the pod on Monday that other outside schools would be getting involved, two of those being UF and Tennessee throwing their hat in the mix now with Mims, aside from other notables mentioned before in Texas and Ohio State. One tiny detail to that, the SEC has an inter-conference rule that any athlete entering the transfer portal must apply for a waiver if they transfer to another school within the SEC, if that said athlete decides to transfer after February 1st of the calendar year.
- I mentioned on the pod about 4-Star RB Mark Fletcher Jr’s announcement and it likely being the choice of Ohio State for the RB. Some background on that, I was told post Elite Prospect Day that Fletcher was going to come forward with a commitment to Miami in February and Miami was in front of the pack at the time and Miami had made a move with him after that event. Sources close to the Fletcher camp had told me Miami was out front at the time. That commitment did not happen in February, I received some info in March that Miami had other running backs higher on their board in-state and out of state along with in-state running back and 5-Star Cedric Baxter Jr. being one of those. Miami did not accept Fletchers commitment when he tried to commit to the Miami staff before. I have been told by a source that Fletchers recruitment will be far from over despite his commitment to Ohio State. Miami remains confident in pursuit of Cedric Baxter Jr. coming off multiple day visits twice over the spring, along with Baxters parents. Georgia, Alabama, Florida and Texas A&M are all major players in this recruitment.
- 5-Star RB Richard Young out of Lehigh Acres HS(FL) announced a set of his top schools. Miami was not in that mix, as I have mentioned before Ohio State being the leader in that hunt with Alabama and Florida trailing according to a source.
- Bit of an update on 5-star QB Jaden Rashada. I have been told by a source, that while Miami remains confident about the chances of landing the California quarterback. Arkansas has made a more than generous offer in terms of NIL value for Rashada, and the SEC program is closing in as a legitimate contender in this race along with Miami.
- Speaking with sources involved with UCLA transfer LB Caleb Johnson, while on his visit this week to Miami and specifically today. The expectation is he would likely be joining the Miami football program in the coming days.
- Miami is very aware of Louisville WR Tyler Harrell in the transfer portal. The speedster running a more than impressive 10.5 in the 100 meter and also being a Columbus HS (FL) alum before his days at Louisville, averaged almost 30 yards a reception last season for the Cardinals. I have been told by a source that there has been some contact from Miami, aside from it being very open and to the public that Alabama is involved as well.
- Transfer portal West Virginia DL Akheem Mesidor recently came off his visit to Miami and from all accounts that visit had gone well and placed Miami out front. The noise out of Coral Gables is that the Miami staff is confident and has remained confident despite USC being involved. A source has revealed to me this week, that visit to Southern California may not take place.
- In regards to transfer portal DE DJ Coleman from Jacksonville State. While Miami does like the 6’6” edge and wants his body type in the room, there are some hurdles in the way that Miami is working through with Coleman, in regards to credits transferring from Jacksonville State to Miami.
- A source has revealed to me that the Hurricanes have had some contact with Transfer Portal Kansas State LB Branden Jennings and he could be visiting Coral Gables this week. Canes fans may be familiar with Jennings as he is the younger brother of former Canes LB Bradley Jennings Jr. that had left the football program under former head coach Manny Diaz. Both of the Jennings brothers being the sons of former Florida State LB Bradley Jennings Sr. Branden had transferred out of Maryland’s football program not too long ago this off-season. He had played as a true freshman and was listed as an ESPN Mid-Season Freshman All-American.
- As it has made it’s rounds around publicly today. 4-Star WR Nathaniel Joseph visited Miami today along with his Miami Edison football team and coaches. As I have alluded to before in the podcast, Miami is positioning their self very well in the recruiting race for the 4-Star WR Nathaniel “Ray Ray” Joseph according to a source and Miami continues to chip away at the Clemson commit.
- 4-Star S Derek Williams from Louisiana has informed me today that he will be taking an official visit to Miami.
- Miami Edison, St. Thomas Aquinas, Champagnat Catholic and Belen Jesuit coaches and some players of those respective schools, were at the fourteenth Miami spring practice on Thursday.
- In regards to attrition I mentioned in the pod and the positions to be hit by it. Tirek Austin-Cave and Cody Brown leaving were names thrown around to me for two weeks, among more to come that have been passed along to me. There are more and expect an exodus of 10+ players post-spring.