Official Womens Basketball Head Coach (Tricia Cullop official)

Meh, lazy, uninspiring hire. I would've preferred an up & coming assistant from the Staley, Mulkey, Auriemma, or VanDerveer trees.
Yep, let's get someone without any HC experience, merely because they happen to work under a legend. Yep, that works out more often than not. Oh wait, It doesn't. It's rare that these assistants turn out to be anything of note, because a lot of their success is the legend doing legend stuff. The Belichick tree rings a bell? Some of the better coaching trees, outside of some outliers are solid coaches that happen to have a great eye for talent. Few legends have great trees, regardless of sport.

Too many good coaches with HC experience to roll the dice on an assistant. Miami made a high floor, low ceiling hire. Worst case scenario, you get a competent, competitive program led by someone that is extremely similar to Katie Meier. Best case scenario, Miami found a coach that thrives with additional resources, resources she wasn't getting at Toledo. Considering that most of our fans won't give a crap either way, this is a solid hire. I also wouldn't be shocked if Miami tried to swing for the fences and came up short. Smesko was apparently a candidate, he is **** good. We don't know who else was interested. Judging from who some legit blue bloods hired, lots of top end names aren't interested in moving.

Advertisement
Doubtful. Both have been at their respective universities for over 2 decades. They have turned down P5 offers previously.

Elite P5 offers?
I think women's college hoops you have a few elite programs that stand out from the other P5 programs. Much more on the women's side than mens, no?

Elite P5 offers?
I think women's college hoops you have a few elite programs that stand out from the other P5 programs. Much more on the women's side than mens, no?
Correct. Plus, a lot of games are not even closely competitive. In the last 30 years, UConn, Tennessee, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Stanford and South Carolina.

Advertisement
Why doesn’t any lady Canes declare WNBA ready this year?
It happens constantly in men’s sports there all NFL or NBA who says the lady’s aren’t WNBA ?

Why doesn’t any lady Canes declare WNBA ready this year?
It happens constantly in men’s sports there all NFL or NBA who says the lady’s aren’t WNBA ?
There are two rounds in the WNBA draft. TWO rounds, that's 24 total picks. It's rare to get drafted in the WNBA, it's even rarer to make a roster. Keep in mind, legit All-Americans, superstars at the collegiate level won't even get considered for the WNBA, it's that competitive.

Advertisement
Ugh, the only way this works out is that if her sister returns with her. That would be the only positive that can come of this. Hanna was a mediocre at best player, a depth player, the highest paid role player in the history of women's basketball. Her sister would be a nice addition, Miami needs depth and scoring punch.
Agree, but it seems like her sister still plans on going to TCU unfortunately.

Agree, but it seems like her sister still plans on going to TCU unfortunately.
Then the move doesn't make sense. Miami can get significantly better players from the portal, this won't win you a single game. If the roster is built correctly, she will be a end of the rotation player.

She was a rotation player on an E8 team just last year, nobody has said she’s coming in to be a star, and almost the entire team is in the portal right now. There’s no reason to see this as a bad thing right now.

She was a rotation player on an E8 team just last year, nobody has said she’s coming in to be a star, and almost the entire team is in the portal right now. There’s no reason to see this as a bad thing right now.
She was a nonfactor on that team, a depth piece that was warming the bench once the guard rotation came together. There's a reason why she wanted out after the season(and guilt tripped her sister into leaving with her), Meier made it clear that her role would be cut even more than it had been. It's a bad thing because it's a reach, and Cullop hasn't been all that active in the portal thus far. Maybe as the roster fills out, this turns out to be a depth addition, but Miami needs more than this. Way more.

Advertisement
She was a nonfactor on that team, a depth piece that was warming the bench once the guard rotation came together. There's a reason why she wanted out after the season(and guilt tripped her sister into leaving with her), Meier made it clear that her role would be cut even more than it had been. It's a bad thing because it's a reach, and Cullop hasn't been all that active in the portal thus far. Maybe as the roster fills out, this turns out to be a depth addition, but Miami needs more than this. Way more.
Did the guard rotation come together just for like the last two games of the season? Because I don’t recall her riding the bench before then.

If she winds up needing to be a key piece on the team based on how the portal action goes then that’s bad, but we literally have NO depth right now so someone that actually has some experience isn’t a bad thing. I’d also imagine she’s not getting nearly what they did in NIL the first go around.

Did the guard rotation come together just for like the last two games of the season? Because I don’t recall her riding the bench before then.

If she winds up needing to be a key piece on the team based on how the portal action goes then that’s bad, but we literally have NO depth right now so someone that actually has some experience isn’t a bad thing. I’d also imagine she’s not getting nearly what they did in NIL the first go around.
Her minutes dropped off the charts towards the end of the conference slate and in the tournament, Katie wanted to go in another direction, outside of the IU game. It was obvious that once some of the young guards came along, she was the odd woman out. There's a reason why Meier made it a priority to upgrade the backcourt after the season and made multiple high end signings in the backcourt **** near right after the buzzer sounded in the E8. There's also the knowledge that Meier didn't even bother waiting to hear whether they were returning, she was making moves.

I think the entire "I'm not coming back if my sister isn't coming" thing rubbed Katie the wrong way, especially when one considers that Haley is solid, but this isn't Greek Freak asking that his brother hold a roster spot. Either way, it's not the worst signing, but Cullop needs some big wins, or people to return before this thing gets off to a bad start.

Her minutes dropped off the charts towards the end of the conference slate and in the tournament, Katie wanted to go in another direction, outside of the IU game. It was obvious that once some of the young guards came along, she was the odd woman out. There's a reason why Meier made it a priority to upgrade the backcourt after the season and made multiple high end signings in the backcourt **** near right after the buzzer sounded in the E8. There's also the knowledge that Meier didn't even bother waiting to hear whether they were returning, she was making moves.

I think the entire "I'm not coming back if my sister isn't coming" thing rubbed Katie the wrong way, especially when one considers that Haley is solid, but this isn't Greek Freak asking that his brother hold a roster spot. Either way, it's not the worst signing, but Cullop needs some big wins, or people to return before this thing gets off to a bad start.

You seem super emotional about this.::

Advertisement
You seem super emotional about this.::
Miss me with this weak nonsense. This is a weak signing, and people should question why Cullop is out here taking mediocre role players, while players who should be part of the build are racing to the portal. The only reason this makes sense is if her sister decides to leave TCU and return. Outside of that, it's adding someone for the sake of adding someone. Frankly, the program would have been better off finding a way to get Stedman to run it back(and she was dreadful at times last season), at least one doesn't have to worry about whether her heart is in it.

There's still some time for Cullop to build this roster out, for all we know, Cavinder may be one of the most popular bench warmers next season, but this isn't the signing people think it is, especially if the more talented sister isn't part of the deal.

Last edited:
Miss me with this weak nonsense. This is a weak signing, and people should question why Cullop is out here taking mediocre role players, while players who should be part of the build are racing to the portal. The only reason this makes sense is if her sister decides to leave TCU and return. Outside of that, it's adding someone for the sake of adding someone. Frankly, the program would have been better off finding a way to get Stedman to run it back(and she was dreadful at times last season), at least one doesn't have to worry about whether her heart is in it.

There's still some time for Cullop to build this roster out, for all we know, Cavinder may be one of the most popular bench warmers next season, but this isn't the signing people think it is, especially if the more talented sister isn't part of the deal.

You are very upset. No one is claiming we signed Caitlin Clark

You are very upset. No one is claiming we signed Caitlin Clark
When this is the only signing thus far, despite losing practically every single key piece outside of a player coming back from an ACL and Jas Roberts, that's a huge problem. Cullop needs a splash, because it's not looking good so far. That said, the women's portal moves slower than the men, so it may not be nearly as bad at the end as it looks right now. I'm still wondering what got said to where Spearman hit the portal, especially seeing that theoretically she would be a perfect big for an uptempo team.

When this is the only signing thus far, despite losing practically every single key piece outside of a player coming back from an ACL and Jas Roberts, that's a huge problem. Cullop needs a splash, because it's not looking good so far. That said, the women's portal moves slower than the men, so it may not be nearly as bad at the end as it looks right now. I'm still wondering what got said to where Spearman hit the portal, especially seeing that theoretically she would be a perfect big for an uptempo team.

Yes. Let’s attack the portal and build a winning tournament roster. But I’m not upset about Hannah Cavinder.

Advertisement
Back