Official Womens Basketball Head Coach (Tricia Cullop official)

Solid Hire. Don't get me wrong, I would have taken Smesko in a heartbeat, but this isn't a bad choice either. The thing I can't help but consider is what is keeping Smesko at FGCU. There's no way that dude has been winning for 2+ decades, at a place like FGCU and hasn't gotten some **** good offers. Maybe he loves Fort Myers, maybe he's holding out for one particular job, but I'm curious as to why no one can get him to leave that place. I wonder if Tomekia Reed(Jackson State HC) was considered, I see a lot of Dawn Staley in her, someone is going to hire her and be set at HC for the next 2 decades.

Advertisement
Probably tried to hire Jason Candle again and settled on the women’s basketball coach
Stop playing games with this man's heart!
Screenshot_20240405_182555_Chrome.png

Advertisement
I'm willing to speculate that this was as much a Katie Meier influenced hire as the baseball hire was a Miami "establishment" influenced hire. So the buck obviously is always going to stop with Rad, but I don't think we're going to see his actual ability (or inability) to make a good hire on L retires.

All that said, I wonder how Fitzroy Anthony is feeling right now (and about Meier) and if he stays.

I'm willing to speculate that this was as much a Katie Meier influenced hire as the baseball hire was a Miami "establishment" influenced hire. So the buck obviously is always going to stop with Rad, but I don't think we're going to see his actual ability (or inability) to make a good hire on L retires.

All that said, I wonder how Fitzroy Anthony is feeling right now (and about Meier) and if he stays.

Word is Zay Wong is coach in waiting so L is going to be hear for a while, unless Shane Larkin steps in…

Running to narratives strikes again. We don’t know why or who backed out of the Smesko deal. The USF guy was an agent leak to get his client extra money.
We are talking about two lifers, one in Tampa, the other in Ft Myers. Smesko has turned down a bunch of programs the last couple of years.

Advertisement

Meier likely had a voice, she was very successful at her job. I couldn't care less what Fitzroy thinks, I wanted an experienced coach, this isn't the place where you let people learn on the job. It's tough enough to win at Miami to begin with, being a first time coach is a death sentence, barring you being a wunderkind. If he wants a HC gig, he can do what Coach Blue, Coach Kieger and others did, they went out and worked at a midmajor. If Anthony does well in that role and the job opens up, he gets an interview. I'm done with "Promote from within" because it rarely works, especially when the internal hire doesn't have an iota of head coach experience.

Miami hired a head coach without any ties to the university?

Cullop played for Lin Dunn at Purdue.
Prior to Purdue, Dunn coached at UM from 1978 through 1987.
Also, Radakovich and Cullop worked at LBSU for one year.
So perhaps there is a connection somewhere.

Last edited:
We are talking about two lifers, one in Tampa, the other in Ft Myers. Smesko has turned down a bunch of programs the last couple of years.

They are probably waiting on a big-time offer from SEC or Big10 school.
To be honest, UM (women) hoops is not as big a program as many assume it to be
in comparison to other schools.

Advertisement
Have a good friend who played at Bowling Green(was recruited by Cullop) and she said this is an awesome hire and if she brings most of her staff with her it’s even better and potentially sets Miami up for 20 years because her assistant is a star in the making (but she might get the Toledo job)

Advertisement
They are probably waiting on a big-time offer from SEC or Big10 school.
To be honest, UM (women) hoops is not as big a program as many assume it to be
in comparison to other schools.
Doubtful. Both have been at their respective universities for over 2 decades. They have turned down P5 offers previously.

Meh, lazy, uninspiring hire. I would've preferred an up & coming assistant from the Staley, Mulkey, Auriemma, or VanDerveer trees.
Auriemma's coaching tree is not all that impressive. Neither is VanDerVeer's. Now when you bring up Staley and Mulkey you are talking about HCs making $3.6 million per year. Yes, they can coach but they also have resources that rival many very good men's programs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back